Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 08:36 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,527,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
College town a few hours south of Chicago; Big 10 university surrounded by corn fields and soybeans in all directions..

Bangor, ME
My wife use to take a bus from her home in Quincy, MA to visit a dear friend of hers in Bangor in the late 70's/early 80's.

Utica, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 04:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,957,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Utica, NY
The first place I had ever ridden in a taxi, as my aunt's car broke down in Utica while heading back to Syracuse from Cooperstown. Wouldn't mind seeing it again some day, my aunt called it one of NY's mafia towns.

Wichita, KS

Old 08-11-2019, 06:02 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,098,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
The first place I had ever ridden in a taxi, as my aunt's car broke down in Utica while heading back to Syracuse from Cooperstown. Wouldn't mind seeing it again some day, my aunt called it one of NY's mafia towns.

Wichita, KS
Kansas' largest city, but not its largest metropolis - that honor goes to the Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area. Less cosmopolitan than KC too, the best efforts of the Koch brothers notwithstanding.

Best summed up by a billboard for the now-defunct Wichita CityPaper that appeared on one of the local freeways in the early 1990s. It featured a polyglot array of faces and this legend:

"Face it. You're in Wichita."

Wilmington, Del.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Kansas' largest city, but not its largest metropolis - that honor goes to the Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area. Less cosmopolitan than KC too, the best efforts of the Koch brothers notwithstanding.

Best summed up by a billboard for the now-defunct Wichita CityPaper that appeared on one of the local freeways in the early 1990s. It featured a polyglot array of faces and this legend:

"Face it. You're in Wichita."

Wilmington, Del.
Near Philly and largest city in Delaware.

Spartanburg, SC

Old 08-12-2019, 09:58 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Near Philly and largest city in Delaware.

Spartanburg, SC
Spartanburg, SC: In the shadow of Greenville in the same sense that Philadelphia is in the shadow of NYC (just obviously on a much smaller scale in both cases). Home of Wofford College, which I had never heard of until I was in an NCAA March Madness pool at the office earlier this year. Also home to Denny's, which, for some reason I DID know.

NEXT: Vincennes, IN

Old 08-12-2019, 11:58 AM

2,547 posts, read 2,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Spartanburg, SC: In the shadow of Greenville in the same sense that Philadelphia is in the shadow of NYC (just obviously on a much smaller scale in both cases). Home of Wofford College, which I had never heard of until I was in an NCAA March Madness pool at the office earlier this year. Also home to Denny's, which, for some reason I DID know.

NEXT: Vincennes, IN
Seems like a cool place to visit if you're into American history but due to its small size and fairly isolated location, I personally have zero interest in visiting yet alone living there.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 08-12-2019, 12:24 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,930,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Seems like a cool place to visit if you're into American history but due to its small size and fairly isolated location, I personally have zero interest in visiting yet alone living there.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Resort/golf destination, too hot for me..

Albany, NY

Old 08-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Resort/golf destination, too hot for me..

Albany, NY
NY state capital. Pretty topography.

New Bedford, MA

Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,844,646 times
Quote:
NY state capital. Pretty topography.

New Bedford, MA
Still home to a large fishing industry, originally a whaling port that's had some tough luck over the years. Downtown has some charming blocks. The MBTA has been promising commuter rail connections to Boston for like 30 years but has not delivered. Just far enough outside Boston that crosses the commuter distance threshold out. Thinking this place will one day cash in on its waterfront location and easy access to the Cape.

Salem, MA

Old 08-12-2019, 12:58 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,098,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Still home to a large fishing industry, originally a whaling port that's had some tough luck over the years. Downtown has some charming blocks. The MBTA has been promising commuter rail connections to Boston for like 30 years but has not delivered. Just far enough outside Boston that crosses the commuter distance threshold out. Thinking this place will one day cash in on its waterfront location and easy access to the Cape.

Salem, MA
Witch trials. The House of the Seven Gables. Picturesque but not pretentious. I seem to remember it having some good seafood restaurants too.

New Hope, Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City