Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 01:43 PM

10,106 posts, read 1,023,299 times

Advertisements

Schaumburg, Illinois - founded by German immigrants - considered a model community of Cook County

Hempstead NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 06:47 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Schaumburg, Illinois - founded by German immigrants - considered a model community of Cook County

Hempstead NY
Looks like it's pretty centrally located, in Nassau County. And IIRC, this was specifically the community where the NHL New York Islanders used to play their games in. I think the Islanders moved out of Nassau Coliseum, since the owner thought that stadium was getting too outdated for them?

One more on Long Island, but east: Greenport, NY

Old 06-18-2021, 04:50 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
One more on Long Island, but east: Greenport, NY
A family friend used to own a couple of acres on the bluff overlooking Long Island Sound with a driftwood summer cottage right at the bluff. That was in the 1980s when Greenport was still undiscovered. I’ve driven through it in more recent times taking the Orient Point ferry on business trips to Nassau County. The potato fields are now vineyards making bad wine. It’s far more upscale. All the NYC money priced out of The Hamptons went there instead. It’s a nice place but I liked it better in the early 1980s.

On the topic of northeastern coastal getaways, my fiancée just booked a couple nights in a gingerbread cottage in Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard. So Oak Bluffs.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:56 PM

899 posts, read 517,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A family friend used to own a couple of acres on the bluff overlooking Long Island Sound with a driftwood summer cottage right at the bluff. That was in the 1980s when Greenport was still undiscovered. I’ve driven through it in more recent times taking the Orient Point ferry on business trips to Nassau County. The potato fields are now vineyards making bad wine. It’s far more upscale. All the NYC money priced out of The Hamptons went there instead. It’s a nice place but I liked it better in the early 1980s.

On the topic of northeastern coastal getaways, my fiancée just booked a couple nights in a gingerbread cottage in Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard. So Oak Bluffs.
I wouldn't live there as a full time resident, but it's great for a second home I don't need.

Nevada, Missouri

Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I wouldn't live there as a full time resident, but it's great for a second home I don't need.

Nevada, Missouri
Looks like Nevada, MO was famous once upon a time(till the early 1930s) for having the Weltmer Institute: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welt...e_Therapeutics It also is where ex-Cardinals pitcher George Lyons was born. Also one of the co-founders of the American League (now one of the 2 leagues, of Major League Baseball/MLB) named Clark Griffith, was also born there. He also was a former pitcher, manager, and team owner. I street viewed it's downtown myself, and it seemed like the architecture of a lot of downtown buildings are nice, along with its town square and courthouse. Seems like it's one of the bigger towns along I-49 between Kansas City, and the Joplin-Carthage area.

Springfield, MO

Old 06-21-2021, 08:09 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Springfield, MO
Located in SW Missouri, it's the largest city in Missouri's Ozarks region. It's also the home to Missouri State University.

A town I visited this past weekend:

Marianna, Florida

Old 06-21-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Located in SW Missouri, it's the largest city in Missouri's Ozarks region. It's also the home to Missouri State University.

A town I visited this past weekend:

Marianna, Florida
Looks like a nice smaller town in the panhandle, per street viewing its downtown. Off of I-10, and close to Florida Caverns State Park. Which I've never checked out, but wouldn't mind doing so. If someday, I ever do get back to the Florida panhandle ever again!

One more in the Florida panhandle: Port Saint Joe, Florida

Old 06-21-2021, 04:40 PM

899 posts, read 517,951 times
Quote:
Looks like a nice smaller town in the panhandle, per street viewing its downtown. Off of I-10, and close to Florida Caverns State Park. Which I've never checked out, but wouldn't mind doing so. If someday, I ever do get back to the Florida panhandle ever again!

One more in the Florida panhandle: Port Saint Joe, Florida
There are better places in Florida. Port St. Joe sticks out into the gulf, which attracts hurricanes, and it's isolated.

Fort Stockton, Texas

Old 06-21-2021, 11:30 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
There are better places in Florida. Port St. Joe sticks out into the gulf, which attracts hurricanes, and it's isolated.

Fort Stockton, Texas
County seat of Pecos County. Springfield MA

Old 06-22-2021, 11:52 AM

859 posts, read 695,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Springfield MA
Small city north of Hartford. Home to the Basketball Hall of Fame and a metalcore scene in the 90s/2000s featuring bands such as All That Remains and Killswitch Engage.

Rapid City SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City