Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2021, 08:43 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Newport, Kentucky = full of history, nice riverfront, active downtown, World Peace Bell

Candlewood Lake, CT
Lovely lake in the woods, with houses lining it, much like many of the lakes in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Now here's another community near a well-known resort lake; like Milan, its name gets mispronounced by everyone:

Versailles, Mo. (Edited to add: And once again, bonus points if you can guess the pronunciation.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 06-27-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 01:09 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Lovely lake in the woods, with houses lining it, much like many of the lakes in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Now here's another community near a well-known resort lake; like Milan, its name gets mispronounced by everyone:

Versailles, Mo. (Edited to add: And once again, bonus points if you can guess the pronunciation.)
I guess whoever founded Versailles, MO, was inspired by the royal palace in or near Paris, France per wikipedia? I see(looked up its location on google maps) is in western Missouri, a little north of Osage Beach and some of the other tourist towns near Lake of the Ozarks. The old Martin Hotel building looks nice, I'll say. Which today is the Morgan County(MO) Historical Society. In recent years per wikipedia I see population has been flat, with it hitting a peak in the 2000 Census.

Saint Joseph, MO

Old 06-29-2021, 07:04 AM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Saint Joseph, MO
For me, St. Joseph will always be synonymous with Jesse James. It's where he met his end.

Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Old 06-29-2021, 08:09 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
For me, St. Joseph will always be synonymous with Jesse James. It's where he met his end.

Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Was recognized in 2008 by Laura Bush as a Preserve America Community. Port Charlotte FL

Old 06-29-2021, 08:34 PM

2,351 posts, read 2,307,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Was recognized in 2008 by Laura Bush as a Preserve America Community. Port Charlotte FL
I'm not a fan of Port Charlotte, it's kind of rough to be honest. It's not that close to a beach and just doesn't really have much to offer. If you want to be in that general area I suggest going to Englewood instead or even Cape Coral.

Allentown, PA

Old 06-29-2021, 09:41 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I'm not a fan of Port Charlotte, it's kind of rough to be honest. It's not that close to a beach and just doesn't really have much to offer. If you want to be in that general area I suggest going to Englewood instead or even Cape Coral.

Allentown, PA
I always associate it with the Billy Joel song of the same name. "We're living here in Allentown; and they've taken all the coal from the ground." I picture it as a dying coal town, though I've heard that it's actually doing quite well for itself nowadays.

Harlingen, TX

Old 06-30-2021, 12:38 AM

899 posts, read 521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I always associate it with the Billy Joel song of the same name. "We're living here in Allentown; and they've taken all the coal from the ground." I picture it as a dying coal town, though I've heard that it's actually doing quite well for itself nowadays.

Harlingen, TX
It's poor, but rather safe. Elon Musk might be able to radically transform Cameron County.

Lake Forest, California

Old 06-30-2021, 01:22 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
It's poor, but rather safe. Elon Musk might be able to radically transform Cameron County.

Lake Forest, California
One of the more pricier, and nicer suburbs in south Orange County. It may not be as expensive as Irvine for average housing values, but it isn't too far behind for median income.

Tupelo, Mississippi

Old 06-30-2021, 07:12 AM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Tupelo, Mississippi
Birthplace of Elvis Presley. It's located in northern Mississippi about halfway between Memphis and Birmingham. Tupelo honey has nothing to do with Tupelo, MS.

Itta Bena, Mississippi

Old 06-30-2021, 01:20 PM

899 posts, read 521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Itta Bena, Mississippi
It has Mississippi Valley State University, but it's really poor and has a high unemployment rate.

West Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City