Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 11:55 AM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Birthplace of Elvis Presley. It's located in northern Mississippi about halfway between Memphis and Birmingham. Tupelo honey has nothing to do with Tupelo, MS.

Itta Bena, Mississippi
The town's name is derived from the Choctaw phrase iti bina meaning forest camp. Mena, AR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 12:19 PM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
West Hattiesburg, Mississippi
It's where most of the growth of the Hattiesburg area is taking place and is becoming the main population center of Lamar County. It's very suburban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
The town's name is derived from the Choctaw phrase iti bina meaning forest camp. Mena, AR.
A small town in the Ouachitas of western Arkansas. Its tiny municipal airport was the entry point for massive amounts of South American cocaine in the 1980s (allegedly), and the Clinton family was somehow involved (allegedly).

New Madrid, Missouri

Old 07-01-2021, 01:22 PM

899 posts, read 521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's where most of the growth of the Hattiesburg area is taking place and is becoming the main population center of Lamar County. It's very suburban.

A small town in the Ouachitas of western Arkansas. Its tiny municipal airport was the entry point for massive amounts of South American cocaine in the 1980s (allegedly), and the Clinton family was somehow involved (allegedly).

New Madrid, Missouri
It's a small town in Southeastern Missouri, and I wouldn't live there. However, it's really cheap.

McCandless, Pennsylvania

Old 07-01-2021, 09:34 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
It's a small town in Southeastern Missouri, and I wouldn't live there. However, it's really cheap.
New Madrid also sits atop a very inactive earthquake fault that really shakes when it moves: it produced the most powerful earthquake yet felt in US territory in 1816. I don't know what it measured on the Richter scale, but the temblor rang church bells in Boston.

Never heard of this place, so I'm leaving it up for play:

McCandless, Pennsylvania

Old 07-01-2021, 10:06 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
New Madrid also sits atop a very inactive earthquake fault that really shakes when it moves: it produced the most powerful earthquake yet felt in US territory in 1816. I don't know what it measured on the Richter scale, but the temblor rang church bells in Boston.

Never heard of this place, so I'm leaving it up for play:

McCandless, Pennsylvania
Looks like a suburban community, just north of Pittsburgh. I do have to say looking at street view, that North Park looks pretty darn nice. And which is a part of Alleghany County's county park system.

Johnstown, Pennsylvania

Old 07-02-2021, 02:29 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Looks like a suburban community, just north of Pittsburgh. I do have to say looking at street view, that North Park looks pretty darn nice. And which is a part of Alleghany County's county park system.

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Site of two notorious floods: one in 1889 that was caused by the bursting of a dam that formed a lake around which Gilded Age grandees had built recreational lodges (this Johnstown Flood was held up as an example of the callousness of the "robber barons"), and another in 1938 caused by Mother Nature that Pennsylvania booze buyers are paying for to this day. (Bundled into the shelf price of wines and spirits sold in the state-run liquor stores in this state is an 18 percent tax the Pennsylvania General Assembly imposed in 1938 to pay for cleanup from that flood.)

Arrow Rock, Mo.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:49 AM

2,550 posts, read 2,876,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Site of two notorious floods: one in 1889 that was caused by the bursting of a dam that formed a lake around which Gilded Age grandees had built recreational lodges (this Johnstown Flood was held up as an example of the callousness of the "robber barons"), and another in 1938 caused by Mother Nature that Pennsylvania booze buyers are paying for to this day. (Bundled into the shelf price of wines and spirits sold in the state-run liquor stores in this state is an 18 percent tax the Pennsylvania General Assembly imposed in 1938 to pay for cleanup from that flood.)

Arrow Rock, Mo.
Looks like a decent day-trip destination for someone living in Columbia or KCMO, particularly if they have an interest in US history. I do have some concern about how a village so small made it through the pandemic though.

Chula Vista, CA

Old 07-02-2021, 07:54 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,455,764 times
I’m not a fan of the San Diego area - Chula Vista included.

Monterey, CA

Old 07-02-2021, 10:56 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,021,384 times
We went on a family trip to the Bay Area in summer 2008 and stopped by Monterey to see a family friend, who passed away a few years ago. I just remember it being extremely foggy and having Spanish colonial architecture.

McLean, VA

Old 07-02-2021, 11:14 AM

861 posts, read 701,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
McLean, VA
Affluent unincorporated DC suburb home to the CIA headquarters.

Silverthorne CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City