Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2022, 06:57 PM

202 posts, read 251,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Like any other US suburb. I almost felt like I was back in the Midwest, since Nampa/Canyon County are kind of a gradual transition of suburbia into farmland and dirt roads, the land is very flat, and the mountains are inconspicuous and far away.

Long Beach, WA
You can tell it is near Canada. It resembles the main city center of a Canadian island.

Port Huron, Mi

Last edited by slowdawg; 02-26-2022 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 07:43 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
You can tell it is near Canada. It resembles the main city center of a Canadian island.

Port Huron, Mi
It's okay, I guess? At least it isn't as economically bad off and has the amount of poverty as say, like you'd see in Flint or Saginaw. The location of this city you'd think would make me suspect Port Huron would capitalize more on its border location, for US/Canada trade than it has. At least most of this city doesn't look too bad, when I checked it out on google street view. Plus industrial jobs moving away from Port Huron, in a way doesn't help this city out a lot. I do like its location on the St. Clair River and Lake Huron, though. Plus this thread gives a little insight about what Port Huron is like, to those not as familiar with this area: https://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...ort-huron.html

And it seems like per that thread, those from metro Detroit don't think about Port Huron much? It seems like a not bad city, from the little I've street viewed it. And at least its crime rate(while above the national average a little), has been declining. And a la Sault Ste. Marie, MI(where across the border, the Sault Ste. Marie over there is bigger in population), this is also the case with Sarnia, ON having more population vs. Port Huron.

Let's move over to the other mainland Michigan lake coast: Muskegon, MI

Old 02-26-2022, 09:55 PM

899 posts, read 521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
It's okay, I guess? At least it isn't as economically bad off and has the amount of poverty as say, like you'd see in Flint or Saginaw. The location of this city you'd think would make me suspect Port Huron would capitalize more on its border location, for US/Canada trade than it has. At least most of this city doesn't look too bad, when I checked it out on google street view. Plus industrial jobs moving away from Port Huron, in a way doesn't help this city out a lot. I do like its location on the St. Clair River and Lake Huron, though. Plus this thread gives a little insight about what Port Huron is like, to those not as familiar with this area: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/mic...ort-huron.html

And it seems like per that thread, those from metro Detroit don't think about Port Huron much? It seems like a not bad city, from the little I've street viewed it. And at least its crime rate(while above the national average a little), has been declining. And a la Sault Ste. Marie, MI(where across the border, the Sault Ste. Marie over there is bigger in population), this is also the case with Sarnia, ON having more population vs. Port Huron.

Let's move over to the other mainland Michigan lake coast: Muskegon, MI
Working class city in Michigan, but it's not Flint or Detroit.

Cookeville, TN

Old 02-26-2022, 10:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,021,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Working class city in Michigan, but it's not Flint or Detroit.

Cookeville, TN
Was trendy here like a year ago, also has its own forum here. I don't really get the hype, I streetviewed it and it looked like any other Southern small town. There's a college there, so the dining options are maybe above-average, but it didn't seem like a big part of the town's culture.

Burnaby, BC

Old 02-27-2022, 03:13 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Was trendy here like a year ago, also has its own forum here. I don't really get the hype, I streetviewed it and it looked like any other Southern small town. There's a college there, so the dining options are maybe above-average, but it didn't seem like a big part of the town's culture.

Burnaby, BC
Vancouver's answer to Bellevue, Buckhead, or Tysons. A big suburb with very good transit connections and lots of highrise TOD built around the skytrain stops, but with the same predictable North American malls and chain commerce.

Halifax, NS

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-27-2022 at 03:21 AM..

Old 02-27-2022, 01:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Vancouver's answer to Bellevue, Buckhead, or Tysons. A big suburb with very good transit connections and lots of highrise TOD built around the skytrain stops, but with the same predictable North American malls and chain commerce.

Halifax, NS
A nice smaller city, in the Maritimes/far east provinces of Canada. Probably one of the nicer bigger Canadian cities you could live in, east of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec.

How about one more city in this region: St. John's, NL?

Old 02-28-2022, 03:06 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
A nice smaller city, in the Maritimes/far east provinces of Canada. Probably one of the nicer bigger Canadian cities you could live in, east of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec.

How about one more city in this region: St. John's, NL?
Largest city and hub of Newfoundland. I bet it's beautiful and picturesque. Monterey Mexico?

Old 03-01-2022, 02:29 PM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Largest city and hub of Newfoundland. I bet it's beautiful and picturesque. Monterey Mexico?
I see it as by far the most Americanized of Mexico's larger cities. Most American companies who do business in Mexico have a corporate presence in Monterey, so it has a relatively high percentage of white-collar Americans living and working there. It's arid and hot, but the mountain views are breathtaking. Also it's the home of Topo Chico, quite possibly the most refreshing beverage ever concocted.

Keeping it south of the border:

Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico

Old 03-01-2022, 02:37 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I see it as by far the most Americanized of Mexico's larger cities. Most American companies who do business in Mexico have a corporate presence in Monterey, so it has a relatively high percentage of white-collar Americans living and working there. It's arid and hot, but the mountain views are breathtaking. Also it's the home of Topo Chico, quite possibly the most refreshing beverage ever concocted.

Keeping it south of the border:

Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico
El Paso's slightly bigger but not as prosperous sibling.

Some things I found interesting about the place from the summer I spent there in the late 1970s:

It had a big suburban-style shopping mall where the US 54 freeway crossed over, which looked to me like it was meant to draw American shoppers. The part of the city next to downtown was grittier — and livelier.

In El Paso, the poorer folks lived in the flatland along the Rio Grande while the richer ones lived on the mountainsides northwest of downtown. In Juárez, the rich folks lived in the flatlands while the shanties of the poor climbed the hills. I think this probably had something to do with the importance of access to water.

Moving up I-25:

Albuquerque, N.M.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
El Paso's slightly bigger but not as prosperous sibling.

Some things I found interesting about the place from the summer I spent there in the late 1970s:

It had a big suburban-style shopping mall where the US 54 freeway crossed over, which looked to me like it was meant to draw American shoppers. The part of the city next to downtown was grittier — and livelier.

In El Paso, the poorer folks lived in the flatland along the Rio Grande while the richer ones lived on the mountainsides northwest of downtown. In Juárez, the rich folks lived in the flatlands while the shanties of the poor climbed the hills. I think this probably had something to do with the importance of access to water.

Moving up I-25:

Albuquerque, N.M.
Only visited once about a year ago. It’s a beautiful city with a lot of culture. Great food scene as well. I hope to go to the Balloon Fiesta this year.

Colorado Springs, CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City