Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 07:53 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I went there for my honeymoon in 2016 and had a marvelous time. I thought the island has a great blend of activity, amenities, and diverse landscapes while still having many quiet and serene areas. I was fortunate to be able to see nearly the whole island over a 9-day visit.

I'd visit again if I could, but I could never see myself living there (or any of the other Hawaiian Islands for that matter).

Miami Beach, FL
I remember reading an Ada Louise Huxtable column on the midcentury hotels in Miami Beach's northern reaches titled "Every Little Room is Lapidus in Bloom" — referring to Morris Lapidus, the architect of the best-known and biggest ones.

Lapidus also designed many of the buildings along Collins Avenue, MB's main drag. But it's the Art Deco hotel district at its southern tip that really has the Wow factor now. I could see myself living there, even in the summer thanks to the ocean breezes that cool it but not Miami proper off.

Rehoboth Beach, Del.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 08:31 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I remember reading an Ada Louise Huxtable column on the midcentury hotels in Miami Beach's northern reaches titled "Every Little Room is Lapidus in Bloom" — referring to Morris Lapidus, the architect of the best-known and biggest ones.

Lapidus also designed many of the buildings along Collins Avenue, MB's main drag. But it's the Art Deco hotel district at its southern tip that really has the Wow factor now. I could see myself living there, even in the summer thanks to the ocean breezes that cool it but not Miami proper off.

Rehoboth Beach, Del.
It looks like it'd be a nice place, to vacation to. I suspect it'd be too expensive to live in, though. Also the crime per capita (at least when it comes to living there full time), is weirdly higher than one would suspect(for robberies and auto thefts. At least Rehoboth does NOT have any issues with murders, though per the crime statistics I was able to pull up for there. Finally I'm aware Dogfish Head's very first brewpub and restaurant was in Rehoboth(note: their brewery is in the nearby town of Milton, which is slightly to the west), so I'd want to visit here for that reason! I've long been a fan, of Dogfish Head's beers.

Staying on the Delmarva Peninsula. And ah what the heck, may as well ask about this small city. As it appears to be the most populated places, south of Dover, DE: Salisbury, MD

Old 03-10-2022, 04:02 PM

30 posts, read 30,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Salisbury, MD
Seems like a nice-enough colonial town with a cool museum.

Minot, ND

Old 03-10-2022, 05:30 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
Seems like a nice-enough colonial town with a cool museum.

Minot, ND
Oil boom/bust town in the middle of nowhere. Bringing it back to somewhere interesting...

Washington, DC

Old 03-10-2022, 05:47 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Oil boom/bust town in the middle of nowhere. Bringing it back to somewhere interesting...

Washington, DC
Oil lobbyist town in the middle of nowhere

Quincy, MA

Old 03-10-2022, 06:01 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Oil lobbyist town in the middle of nowhere

Quincy, MA
Ha! I like that response actually.

Quincy is a moderately dense south shore suburb of Boston, good transit connections, lots of scenic waterfront, mostly decent nieghborhoods, Marina Bay is nice, and the city has grown into Boston's new Chinatown. Only negative for me is the constant congestion on I-93/SE Expressway.

Providence, RI

Old 03-10-2022, 06:24 PM

30 posts, read 30,103 times
Quote:
Washington, DC
My roommate from when I went to Texas A&M Texarkana actually lived in DC. He said that the world's gonna end up rolling me if I didn't study harder. Now back then I wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

This was also the day his family decided to make a visit, so his mean sister with a dumb look on her face kept hitting me. I told her to stop and then she proceeded to put her fingers on her forehead with the shape of the letter L.

Then the years started coming and wouldn't stop coming, I fed to the rules and went running for a degree. I then moved to Shreveport after getting my degree and I figured that it wouldn't make sense to not live for fun, sure it would make your brain smarter but it would also make your head dumber.

Also there was so much to do and so much to see in Shreveport so I thought "What's wrong with taking the backstreets? You'll never know if you don't go." I then thought of the saying "You'll never shine if you don't glow."

I then became nervous that I wouldn't fit in with the others in Shreveport. I was then remembered of what my father told me when I was a small child playing Little League Baseball, "Hey now son, you're an all-star. Get your game on and go play. Get the show on and get paid."

I had to take his advice because we were a rich family and it all started with the saying "all that glitters is gold".

Enough rambling about my family, when I first bought my house it was horrifically moldy. It was so bad that I had to hire some people from this home improvement company called Shooting Stars to break all the mold.

After that was over with and I moved all my stuff in, it turned out to be a pretty cool place. The locals also said that the neighborhood is only gonna get colder over the course of a few months.

I was then all bundled up, I worked when I was needed and I had fun downtown when I wanted, while waiting til I get older and richer. The Meteor Men (Cable repair company) begged to differ however, there was a big storm and it tore a big hole in my satellite and repairing the satellite would cost a lot of money.

I knew I was skating in some thin ice right now, in fact the water was pretty warm so I might as well just swim. I then said "No, I'm gonna hire a cheaper repair man". I felt like I set their world on fire because they got pretty mad about it and just took my satellite. I then learned to ditch cable and that's the way I like it now. I got replaced my cable with Hulu Live and now it seems I'll never get bored.

Last year I was on my way to DC to visit my old roommate (who was now a good friend of mine), I stopped to get some gas and I was shocked to see that gas was around $3 a gallon. Luckily I could afford it but a kind stranger asked for some spare change so that he could fill up. He said something about wanting to get away from the place this gas station is in. I said "Yep, what a concept. I could use a little fuel myself, and we could all use a little change."

Overall, DC is okay. It can feel a little swampy at times depending on what part you're at.

Sterling, CO

Old 03-10-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Ha! I like that response actually.

Quincy is a moderately dense south shore suburb of Boston, good transit connections, lots of scenic waterfront, mostly decent nieghborhoods, Marina Bay is nice, and the city has grown into Boston's new Chinatown. Only negative for me is the constant congestion on I-93/SE Expressway.

Providence, RI
Cooler than those who've never been there think it is. They opened up the river that flows through the downtown and brought said downtown back from the undead. College Hill, just to downtown's east atop a steep hill, is a really nice part of town as well. Lots of ethnic color (much of it Italian) and "New York System" hot dogs.

Loved that first response to DC. As for Sterling, Colo.: Well, it's in Far Western Kansas (or, given that it's on I-76, Far Southwest Nebraska), and I'm not sure I'd enjoy living in that flat, featureless and sparsely populated region. If I'm going to live outside metro Denver, give me Fort Collins. (Boulder is part of the metro.)

Since I mentioned both of Colorado's big college towns:

State College, Pa.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:45 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
Sterling, CO
I honestly think it seems like a typical eastern Colorado town(w/a lot of meatpacking and feedlot type farms nearby, a la other such eastern Colorado towns like Greeley), at first glance. Although the fact at least it has a state prison there, is better than not having that many jobs I guess? If I ever passed through Sterling, I wouldn't mind visiting the Overland Trail Museum. Don't think I'd want to live there, but to each their own.

BTW since I noticed this town got skipped, I chose to answer this town. Since I felt bad someone asked about this town, and he/she didn't get an answer sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
State College, Pa.
It looks like a pretty nice college town, at least from what I've street viewed of State College in the past myself. I'm not so sure I'd want to live there, but at least the town looks pretty nice. Where I'd have no problem stopping there, if on a roadtrip.

Lancaster, PA

Old 03-11-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I honestly think it seems like a typical eastern Colorado town(w/a lot of meatpacking and feedlot type farms nearby, a la other such eastern Colorado towns like Greeley), at first glance. Although the fact at least it has a state prison there, is better than not having that many jobs I guess? If I ever passed through Sterling, I wouldn't mind visiting the Overland Trail Museum. Don't think I'd want to live there, but to each their own.

BTW since I noticed this town got skipped, I chose to answer this town. Since I felt bad someone asked about this town, and he/she didn't get an answer sooner.

It looks like a pretty nice college town, at least from what I've street viewed of State College in the past myself. I'm not so sure I'd want to live there, but at least the town looks pretty nice. Where I'd have no problem stopping there, if on a roadtrip.

Lancaster, PA
The Philadelphia chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians made me an honorary member when it used a statement I posted here on C-D to promote its tour of historic Lancaster architecture:

"Lancaster has to be the coolest small city in the state, and probably in the entire Mid-Atlantic region."

That was a few years back. I remain a huge Lancaster fan. Oldest public farmers market in the country, lively downtown, nice arts and culture scene, great eats in both city and environs (natch: it's in the heart of Pennsylvania's most productive agricultural region). One interesting thing about the big city in Pennsylvania Dutch country: It and its county recapitulate the national urban/rural divide: Lancaster City is as liberal as Lancaster County is conservative.

I prefer big cities, but I could definitely see myself living in this small one.

The city I consider its only rival on the East Coast:

Portland, Me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City