Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 12:12 PM

104 posts, read 46,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's a very poor, mostly black town in an agricultural area whose sole life blood is its historically black college.

Beverly Hills, California
Beverly Hills? More like Beverly Hill$. 90210 and the song by Weezer immediately come to mind, but I get the suspicion that there's actually a decent amount of crime there.

to break this rich/poor cycle,

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 06:44 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
Beverly Hills? More like Beverly Hill$. 90210 and the song by Weezer immediately come to mind, but I get the suspicion that there's actually a decent amount of crime there.

to break this rich/poor cycle,

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Looks like a nice smaller town from doing some street viewing, and parts of its downtown give me Lake Geneva, Wisconsin vibes to it. It's parks seem like they are nice, as well.

A small town not too far west, and one where it's downtown is surprisingly vibrant, for eastern Washington For sure it is more vibrant, than you'd think a small town's downtown would be like for this part of eastern Washington it is located in. Check out this street view, to see what I mean: https://goo.gl/maps/SPeN5sCo1Y2FLn7x9 Anyway: Walla Walla, WA

Old 05-09-2022, 07:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Looks like a nice smaller town from doing some street viewing, and parts of its downtown give me Lake Geneva, Wisconsin vibes to it. It's parks seem like they are nice, as well.

A small town not too far west, and one where it's downtown is surprisingly vibrant, for eastern Washington For sure it is more vibrant, than you'd think a small town's downtown would be like for this part of eastern Washington it is located in. Check out this street view, to see what I mean: https://goo.gl/maps/SPeN5sCo1Y2FLn7x9 Anyway: Walla Walla, WA
Seems like an interesting place. I know it's a college town and also home to a prison. Morgantown WV.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:25 PM

899 posts, read 517,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Seems like an interesting place. I know it's a college town and also home to a prison. Morgantown WV.
Large town/Small city that breaks all West Virginia stereotypes. Pretty well off, educated, and safe.

Torrington, CT

Old 05-10-2022, 04:18 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Torrington, CT
We saw Lyle Lovett and Shawn Colvin at the Warner Theater ~ 4 years ago. An old working class mill town. White. Dense suburban with older housing stock. A revitalized Main Street. No signs of desperate poverty but doesn’t look fancy Connecticut prosperous.

Bristol Rhode Island

Old 05-10-2022, 08:39 AM

146 posts, read 152,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Bristol Rhode Island
Inferior to Bristol, TN because of the lack of a Nascar track. Now I'm reminded of that one Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin larps as a redneck.

Sikeston, MO

Old 05-11-2022, 09:36 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
Inferior to Bristol, TN because of the lack of a Nascar track. Now I'm reminded of that one Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin larps as a redneck.

Sikeston, MO
Is it weird that the ONLY thing that comes to my mind when Sikeston is mentioned, is that it has a location of Lambert's Cafe(of 'throwed rolls' fame)? I'm sure there's other things to do(and also exist) in that town, but I struggle to think of those other things.

Rolla, MO

Old 05-12-2022, 05:57 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Is it weird that the ONLY thing that comes to my mind when Sikeston is mentioned, is that it has a location of Lambert's Cafe(of 'throwed rolls' fame)? I'm sure there's other things to do(and also exist) in that town, but I struggle to think of those other things.

Rolla, MO
Home of Missouri's public technological university, UM-Rolla, nee Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy. Otherwise nothing particularly special about the place: it's in the Ozarks but not touristy like Branson or sizable like Springfield.

Pittsburg, Kan.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:18 PM

899 posts, read 517,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Home of Missouri's public technological university, UM-Rolla, nee Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy. Otherwise nothing particularly special about the place: it's in the Ozarks but not touristy like Branson or sizable like Springfield.

Pittsburg, Kan.
A lot better than I thought. It's cheap, of course, but it also has a state university and low crime.

Mason City, IA

Old 05-12-2022, 09:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
A lot better than I thought. It's cheap, of course, but it also has a state university and low crime.

Mason City, IA
From what I saw of it, it was a nice college town. Ponca City OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City