Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2023, 12:40 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Decent-sized town in a very pretty part of the southwest US. Seems to have quite a bit of culture between the Hispanic and Native American influences. Albuquerque is 3 hours away for big city amenities. Don't think I'd ever have any reason to visit but it seems like like it'd be an underrated place to retire.

Lancaster, PA
Rivaled only by Portland, Me., for coolness among small East Coast cities. Great arts scene downtown, which is also home to the oldest public farmers' market in the country. And the very productive farmland in Amish country, which surrounds the city, means there's plenty of fresh food to buy in that market. You can be in Philadelphia in a little more than an hour as well.

Non-Amish love to joke about the names of three communities in Amish country not far from this city: Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand and Blue Ball.

Lawrence, Kan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 PM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Rivaled only by Portland, Me., for coolness among small East Coast cities. Great arts scene downtown, which is also home to the oldest public farmers' market in the country. And the very productive farmland in Amish country, which surrounds the city, means there's plenty of fresh food to buy in that market. You can be in Philadelphia in a little more than an hour as well.

Non-Amish love to joke about the names of three communities in Amish country not far from this city: Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand and Blue Ball.

Lawrence, Kan.
College town in Kansas near KC

Pennsauken, NJ

Old 02-08-2023, 01:07 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
College town in Kansas near KC

Pennsauken, NJ
Looks like a solid blue-collar inner-ring suburb. No real downtown but has SEPTA and isn't far from Philly proper. I'd probably live in Pennsauken if I had to live in NJ and not in the immediate NYC area.

Cheyenne, WY

Old 02-08-2023, 01:31 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Looks like a solid blue-collar inner-ring suburb. No real downtown but has SEPTA and isn't far from Philly proper. I'd probably live in Pennsauken if I had to live in NJ and not in the immediate NYC area.

Cheyenne, WY
Seems like it'd be an alright smaller city(the one time or 2 I ever street viewed Cheyenne), myself. If I had to ever live in Wyoming for any reason, at least it's location isn't too far from the Denver metro area, if you need additional amenities.

The other more populated Wyoming city, and #2 for population among WY's cities and towns: Casper, WY

Old 02-08-2023, 09:07 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Seems like it'd be an alright smaller city(the one time or 2 I ever street viewed Cheyenne), myself. If I had to ever live in Wyoming for any reason, at least it's location isn't too far from the Denver metro area, if you need additional amenities.

The other more populated Wyoming city, and #2 for population among WY's cities and towns: Casper, WY

Pretty isolated and far from the national parks, not scenic in any way that stands out, windy and cold weather. Economically subject to volatile whims of the energy industry, not any place I'd go out of my way to visit.

New London, CT

Old 02-08-2023, 09:24 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Pretty isolated and far from the national parks, not scenic in any way that stands out, windy and cold weather. Economically subject to volatile whims of the energy industry, not any place I'd go out of my way to visit.

New London, CT
Diverse, lower-middle income coastal city. Typical ex-whaling and fishing port, but a bit more industrial. Known for Fort Trumbull as well as the Coast Guard. Fairly interesting downtown on the harbor with places to eat and drink. In a lot of ways, it's comparable to New Bedford, MA. Certainly not one of the most desirable places to live in Connecticut, but it's far from the worst places to live in the US.

Grand Rapids, MI

Old 02-09-2023, 11:02 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Diverse, lower-middle income coastal city. Typical ex-whaling and fishing port, but a bit more industrial. Known for Fort Trumbull as well as the Coast Guard. Fairly interesting downtown on the harbor with places to eat and drink. In a lot of ways, it's comparable to New Bedford, MA. Certainly not one of the most desirable places to live in Connecticut, but it's far from the worst places to live in the US.

Grand Rapids, MI
It always seems like it'd be nice, at least from what I've read about Grand Rapids? A la Columbus, it's one of the few smaller Midwest cities to still have a little bit of population growth going for it. It always seemed pretty nice, whenever I street viewed Grand Rapids. I think Founders Brewing Company started there?

Fort Wayne, IN

Old 02-10-2023, 05:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
It always seems like it'd be nice, at least from what I've read about Grand Rapids? A la Columbus, it's one of the few smaller Midwest cities to still have a little bit of population growth going for it. It always seemed pretty nice, whenever I street viewed Grand Rapids. I think Founders Brewing Company started there?

Fort Wayne, IN
Based upon my own limited perception I would say "large aging post-Industrial city with crime issues---the Toledo, OH of Indiana".

NEXT CITY: Binghamton, NY

Old 02-11-2023, 03:22 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Based upon my own limited perception I would say "large aging post-Industrial city with crime issues---the Toledo, OH of Indiana".

NEXT CITY: Binghamton, NY
A small, quiet, sleepy city in upstate NY. Dirt cheap housing, nice natural setting, decent urban character, overall an ok enough place to live. Actually reminds me quite a bit of my town (Roanoke VA). The weather I think is the biggest downside.

Jefferson City MO

Last edited by Taggerung; 02-11-2023 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-12-2023, 10:29 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Jefferson City MO
Jefferson City is one of the smaller capital cities despite being in a moderately large state. It has rather hilly topography on the banks above the Missouri River. There is a small university but otherwise not much economic activity beyond the government. It's really the secondary urban center of mid-Missouri, as Columbia a little to the north with the flagship university is a much livelier place.

Hobbs, NM? (Please don't assume it resembles Santa Fe )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City