Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Oh, that's really cool. Neat where they get their designs and that tower is going to be amazing. Thanks!

You know what the Museum Towers make me think of? Well another city that is changing, although not very big, South Padre Island. (lol showing Texas love! just kidding) Actually you know why? Because of that building they have going on. I think it will be built because they already sold most of the units if not all, but it's in that same international-style building situation and I've heard people talk smack about that building that I think is gorgeous. Do either of you know what I am talking about? I just have to say these two, for example, (I've heard the same about the Museum Tower, people not grasping it) that don't you think these places just want to change their face? I know people may not agree with some of these designs but some of the cities that people rave over for amazing architecture didn't get there by doing nothing. I love these type of developments! I know Seattle is usually a good example of interesting archiecture. What other places? Miami ventures out...Dallas has some nice styles too.

It's like some places are building a lot of highrises and others are doing the same but those highrises are really changing the feel of the cities. Architecture can have that effect sometimes.
I'm not sure about the status of the Museum Towers. I wrote a research paper on The Seattle Library and ran across that video.

The battle against the International style has been going on sense the 1920's although it's much more mild now a days. It was really controversial in Europe with emergence of Mies van der Rohe and Walter Gropius with the Bauhaus School in Germany and Le Corbusier in Paris. People where appalled that this new style of buildings where being built along side historical architecture. The Nazis ran the Bauhaus School out of Germany, and, like many of the great minds the Nazis drove out of Europe, most of them came to America (Mies went to Chicago and Gropius went to Boston).

I think a skyscraper design should absolutely take into account its surroundings, but the design should not limit innovation because it is surrounded by older styles of buildings. One of the best parts about the architecture of New York and Chicago is being able to see how architecture has changed over the years. The Museum Towers would be a great addition to Louisville.

Dallas and Miami have some pretty unique styles. Southwest architecture is also very distinct style to its region. Houston would be another city with a distinct style for its skyline due to so many skyscrapers designed by Philip Johnson in the city. Seattle has a great skyline as well. I would add Pittsburgh to the list of very unique and distinguished skylines.

If your looking for innovation, go West! For a long time, California and the West Coast have been considered home to all things modern. San Francisco arguably the leading city in Green design, followed by Seattle and Portland.

LA has some really interesting and controversial firms that are doing some crazy stuff right now (although most of their designs are not skyscrapers):

Frank Gehry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Morphosis Architects

As for innovative and leading firms, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and Boston are the best places for architecture right now.

As for South Padre, I think it's dveloping the way it is for two reasons. The first is the McAllen, Brownsville, and South Padre area are growing at a very rapid rate. It's suppose to be the next big metro in Texas. The second is tourism. South Padre is the only beach in Texas that can compare to places like Florida and Southern California. If the area was bigger, wealthier, and had better job opportunities, it would probably have just as big of an appeal as Austin. But McAllen/Brownsville/South Padre have got a long way to go before they reach the "national popularity" level of Austin.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-18-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 01:12 AM

321 posts, read 721,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I'm not sure about the status of the Museum Towers. I wrote a research paper on The Seattle Library and ran across that video.

The battle against the International style has been going on sense the 1920's although it's much more mild now a days. It was really controversial in Europe with emergence of Mies van der Rohe and Walter Gropius with the Bauhaus School in Germany and Le Corbusier in Paris. People where appalled that this new style of buildings where being built along side historical architecture. The Nazis ran the Bauhaus School out of Germany, and, like many of the great minds the Nazis drove out of Europe, most of them came to America (Mies went to Chicago and Gropius went to Boston).

I think a skyscraper design should absolutely take into account its surroundings, but the design should not limit innovation because it is surrounded by older styles of buildings. One of the best parts about the architecture of New York and Chicago is being able to see how architecture has changed over the years. The Museum Towers would be a great addition to Louisville.

Dallas and Miami have some pretty unique styles. Southwest architecture is also very distinct style to its region. Houston would be another city with a distinct style for its skyline due to so many skyscrapers designed by Philip Johnson in the city. Seattle has a great skyline as well. I would add Pittsburgh to the list of very unique and distinguished skylines.

If your looking for innovation, go West! For a long time, California and the West Coast have been considered home to all things modern. San Francisco arguably the leading city in Green design, followed by Seattle and Portland.

LA has some really interesting and controversial firms that are doing some crazy stuff right now (although most of their designs are not skyscrapers):

Morphosis Architects

As for innovative and leading firms, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and Boston are the best places for architecture right now.

As for South Padre, I think it's dveloping the way it is for two reasons. The first is the McAllen, Brownsville, and South Padre area are growing at a very rapid rate. It's suppose to be the next big metro in Texas. The second is tourism. South Padre is the only beach in Texas that can compare to places like Florida and Southern California. If the area was bigger, wealthier, and had better job opportunities, it would probably have just as big of an appeal as Austin. But McAllen/Brownsville/South Padre have got a long way to go before they reach the "national popularity" level of Austin.
Frank Gehry is really great. I fell in love with the dancing building when I lived in Prague, and love his buildingon newbury stin boston and the MIT dorm he did...

I dont know about LA, SF,or Chicago,but Boston and NYC are really exiting architecturally right now...

Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Frank Gehry is really great. I fell in love with the dancing building when I lived in Prague, and love his buildingon newbury stin boston and the MIT dorm he did...

I dont know about LA, SF,or Chicago,but Boston and NYC are really exiting architecturally right now...
Oh yes, Gehry has some pretty cool stuff. The Dancing House is actually my desktop background. Funny story about the Stata Center at MIT, Gehry is getting sewed for leaks and drainage problems that have cost the school quite a bit in repair.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/us/07mit.html

Oh yeah, Boston and New York are fantastic places for architecture right now. I know IM Pei is based out of Boston and in New York, you have the new York 5 architects (The New York Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), OMA, Steven Holl, some of the best young architecture firms such as REX and nArchitects.

I know construction in LA is pretty stagnant right now so I would assume that is really hurting some of the smaller firms. Many of the San Francisco firms are considers the leaders in green design and you have firms like Gensler who are major players in skyscraper and urban design in Shanghai and other Chinese cities.

Gensler

Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,584,196 times
Quote:

Morphosis Architects

I saw the plans for McAllen's Central Park and it looks impressive as well. If that area continues to do neat developments like that, it will definitely be the best new emerging metro and I don't think just in the state. For a few years now they have seen huge increases in population and job growth. Beautiful area and nice weather. I actually know a few people who don't like the area(not SPI though!) but it's mostly because it hasn't matured into an area to interest everyone yet. It hasn't grown into itself at the moment, but I think once it starts grows more with good planning, it won't have to worry about a thing. Except hurricanes.

The thing about LA is that, to me, when compared to other cities, overall LA has sort of played it safe with the architecture. It's like a few times it makes some amazing strides, but other than that it's okay.

For whatever reason the Pacific NW really makes the best in my opinion. I really love that look and I love to see cities build with that image, but I do enjoy the uniqueness that all cities have.

You know, about the international look, it seems all your iconic buildings of now were sort of shunned when they first were proposed and built. The thing I find strange is how people think that a certain city has amazing architecture and wonder why other cities don't follow suit. Then when that city designs something out of the box, they think it's ugly. This happens all the time with those international-style buildings. Don't get me wrong, and ugly building is an ugly building, but I don't see anything wrong with a city wanting to change up a bit. The Museum Towers will be great.

But with that story, your right. People like different architectures and some will never understand the new look. I do think the style was a bit more dramatic back then.

Last edited by Lovely95; 11-19-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, Gehry has some pretty cool stuff. The Dancing House is actually my desktop background. Funny story about the Stata Center at MIT, Gehry is getting sewed for leaks and drainage problems that have cost the school quite a bit in repair.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/us/07mit.html

Oh yeah, Boston and New York are fantastic places for architecture right now. I know IM Pei is based out of Boston and in New York, you have the new York 5 architects (The New York Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), OMA, Steven Holl, some of the best young architecture firms such as REX and nArchitects.

I know construction in LA is pretty stagnant right now so I would assume that is really hurting some of the smaller firms. Many of the San Francisco firms are considers the leaders in green design and you have firms like Gensler who are major players in skyscraper and urban design in Shanghai and other Chinese cities.

Gensler
Yeah, I read about the leaks at Stata, but im sure someone at MIT can figure out a way to get them under control...

And I love I.M.Pei. His firm really made Boston what it is today architecturally- City Hall, The Hancock, and my fav- the Christian Science Plaza.

LA should be exited- the more Gehry the better.
Gehry's redesigned building in my neighborhood at 360 Newbury is very underrated. Its actually a Best Buy now, along with condos and a subway station. My fav view of it is from Boylston, but here are couple cool pics:

http://boston.condocompany.com/Back-Bay/360-Newbury-Street/images/360-Newbury1.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by cmo1984; 11-19-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,584,196 times
Oh that's very beautiful, I like it. This guy is amazing.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Oh that's very beautiful, I like it. This guy is amazing.
Yeah,I say it's underrated because it fits it's surrounding much moreso than Gehry's other works- a criticism he gets often.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 PM

79 posts, read 92,153 times
NYC's skyline will change the most in the next 3 years with all of the new towers going up. For instance, the WTC will be up within three years.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I saw the plans for McAllen's Central Park and it looks impressive as well. If that area continues to do neat developments like that, it will definitely be the best new emerging metro and I don't think just in the state. For a few years now they have seen huge increases in population and job growth. Beautiful area and nice weather. I actually know a few people who don't like the area(not SPI though!) but it's mostly because it hasn't matured into an area to interest everyone yet. It hasn't grown into itself at the moment, but I think once it starts grows more with good planning, it won't have to worry about a thing. Except hurricanes.
Yeah the McAllen's Central Park project looks pretty cool.

“Central Park” project. » Fox Rio 2 News RGV (http://www.foxrio2.com/%E2%80%9Ccentral-park%E2%80%9D-project/ - broken link)

That area has a lot of potential with the beaches, growing population, Tex-Mex culture, and being right on the boarder of Mexico.

Quote:
The thing about LA is that, to me, when compared to other cities, overall LA has sort of played it safe with the architecture. It's like a few times it makes some amazing strides, but other than that it's okay.
Yes and no. That's true as far as high rise buildings, but if you look at some of the works of firms by Frank Gehry and Morphosis or projects by students at SCI-arc, USC, or UCLA, it's pretty progressive. But on thing that LA is really known for is houses. Arguable the best house architecture in the country or even the world (although Chicago could give it a run for its money).

Lovell House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gehry House - Frank Gehry - Great Buildings Online

Ultimate bungalow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charles Ennis House by Frank Lloyd Wright - Photo of the Ennis-Brown House by Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote:
For whatever reason the Pacific NW really makes the best in my opinion. I really love that look and I love to see cities build with that image, but I do enjoy the uniqueness that all cities have.
I think the natural setting of the Pacific NW helps the architecture a lot. But I agree. Portland and Seattle have some fantastic architecture.

Quote:
You know, about the international look, it seems all your iconic buildings of now were sort of shunned when they first were proposed and built. The thing I find strange is how people think that a certain city has amazing architecture and wonder why other cities don't follow suit. Then when that city designs something out of the box, they think it's ugly. This happens all the time with those international-style buildings. Don't get me wrong, and ugly building is an ugly building, but I don't see anything wrong with a city wanting to change up a bit. The Museum Towers will be great.

But with that story, your right. People like different architectures and some will never understand the new look. I do think the style was a bit more dramatic back then.
Well, There was plenty of controversy surrounding the modern architecture coming out of Chicago, the Northeast, and Europe (not so much California) in the early 20th century but I don't think anyone is still suggesting those buildings shouldn't have been constructed now a days. If a city doesn't keep up with current styles of design, its architecture tends to become irrelevant outside of a historical sense.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Yeah, I read about the leaks at Stata, but im sure someone at MIT can figure out a way to get them under control...

And I love I.M.Pei. His firm really made Boston what it is today architecturally- City Hall, The Hancock, and my fav- the Christian Science Plaza.

LA should be exited- the more Gehry the better.
Gehry's redesigned building in my neighborhood at 360 Newbury is very underrated. Its actually a Best Buy now, along with condos and a subway station. My fav view of it is from Boylston, but here are couple cool pics:

I don't think it's that MIT can't fix the problems with the leaks and drainage in Stata, it's just very expensive to do so.

I.M. Pei actually designed the tallest building in Houston, the JP Morgan Chase Tower. Chase Tower Houston is tallest 5 sided building in the world.

I saw a video with Frank Gehry talking about 360 Newbury. He had to deal with very strict regulation in than neighborhoods in Boston. They had stretch the rules a little to allow him to put those cantilevers on the roof. It's a beautiful building. I love the stone.

The Christian Science Building is beautiful. Boston has some fantastic historical architecture. Checkout HH Richardson. He spent most of his carrier in Boston, but moved to Chicago latter on in his carrier.

Henry Hobson Richardson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-19-2009 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City