Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times

Advertisements

- California -> pretentious

- Texas -> Don't Mess With Texas signs on I-10

- New York -> Times Square

- Florida -> Hatians

- Ohio -> Lebron

- North Dakota -> Far

- Rhode Island -> & Providence Plantations

- West Virginia -> Country/Hillbillies

- Idaho -> Potatoes

- Maine -> Even further
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
- North Dakota -> Far
- go?

Lol

Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
North Carolina

YouTube - The Andy Griffith Show-theme song

Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That's nice.... but NC isn't listed....

Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 PM

411 posts, read 1,164,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know this is suppose to be fun and all but it's clear that you know absolutely NOTHING about the state of Texas. NOTHING whatsoever. If anyone doesn't have tolerance, it is you.
Exactly. Austin is very liberal and I don't think parts of rural Texas are any more intolerant than parts of other rural states in the South.

And for Ohio, I was going to say "crops" and "lush trees" but after reading posts by Daytonnian and WeSoHood, I am going to say "people who are extremely conceited about their state." I am not saying Ohio is bad or nothing to be proud of, they just seem to think Ohio=best place on earth and that every other place sucks. And I am not denying that SOME, NOT ALL, people in Texas are also conceited/overly proud of their state. I know many are and I do not like it. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your state, but thinking that no place can match up to your state is just plain ignorant. There are great places everywhere.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Exactly. Austin is very liberal and I don't think parts of rural Texas are any more intolerant than parts of other rural states in the South.

And for Ohio, I was going to say "crops" and "lush trees" but after reading posts by Daytonnian and WeSoHood, I am going to say "people who are extremely conceited about their state." I am not saying Ohio is bad or nothing to be proud of, they just seem to think Ohio=best place on earth and that every other place sucks. And I am not denying that SOME, NOT ALL, people in Texas are also conceited/overly proud of their state. I know many are and I do not like it. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your state, but thinking that no place can match up to your state is just plain ignorant. There are great places everywhere.
I am not originally from Ohio... but since I've lived here all the negative stereotypes I heard are simply not true! And I think others should know that. Ohio has many different topographical regions, and when I hear flatlands, I laugh... and although in the rural areas there are lots of farms(like any state), 75% of the state lives in urban areas.. that's the only reason for my replies.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Daytonatian may be one of the few who goes a little overboard, but you have to understand what some people have to deal with from people who aren't from here or know little about the place.

I was born in Cleveland (very urban) and now live in a small city just outside of Cleveland (pretty urban). If you say you are from/live in anything other than a well known major city in the state the people will say the place you live is either a farm/rural, or once in while a suburb. It's just ignorant and simply not true. As a matter of fact I've had several people on here who are from Ohio (southern) say where I live is a suburb, when it's actually a urban city like a smaller version of Cleveland and in the same metro. The majority of people who I grew up with in the Cleveland area have never even been on a farm before, much less lived in an area like that.

That pretty much goes along with the ignorance of people who aren't from here or don't know much about places but speak on them as if they have any clue what they're actually like. What was said on this thread about Ohio doesn't really bother me much because it's not serious, that's apparently the first thing that came to their head about Ohio and the majority of the land in Ohio is farms/rural, but most people actually live in urban areas.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
- California - the traffic and glamour of Los Angeles, the excitement of San Francisco, varied scenery, and how big and varied it is

- Texas - big cities where I have no clue what goes on, and the desert

- New York - New York City, upstate and the mountains, quaint villages along the Hudson

- Florida - sun, sprawling cities, retirement, gated communities, and the ocean

- Ohio - the Ohio river, cities in Ohio

- North Dakota - how out of the way it would feel if I was placed there, but how quiet and friendly it probably is

- Rhode Island - scummy people with accents, cool parts of Providence, the terrible drivers, and Newport

- West Virginia - coal mining and the mountains and the Mothman

- Idaho - potatoes and mountains

- Maine - forest, the coast of Maine, and Wells Beach

Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM

East Texas

Texas Prairies

Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Panhandle

Lake Arlington (DFW Metroplex)

Central Texas Hill country
http://grandmagamer.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/texas_hill_country_near_i-10_2004.jpg (broken link)

.... Boy, take a look at that vast, dry, uninhabitable desert wasteland that is Texas.

Ok, just playin' around.... but realy, out of all the Texas stereotypes we have.... desert? Really?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ok, just playin' around.... but realy, out of all the Texas stereotypes we have.... desert? Really?
Forest just does not come to mind at all when I think of Texas. I know its a stereotype and its not true at all that Texas is a big desert, but that is what I imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City