Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The city that offers the most:
Portland, OR 37 60.66%
Dallas 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 AM

65 posts, read 190,812 times

Advertisements

Shopping: Dallas
Food: Portland
Nightlife: Dallas
Music scene: Portland
Museums/Art: Dallas
Downtown: Portland
Skyline: Dallas
Weather: Portland (I like the rain and the overall PNW weather)
People: Dallas (My best friend live there)
Scenery: Portland
Culture: Dallas
Outdoor activities: Portland
City I would rather live in: It's a tie. Honestly though, I think I would rather live in Portland over Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Shopping: high end=Dallas small boutiques=Portland
Food: Portland
Nightlife: Dallas
Music scene: Portland
Museums/Art: not sure
Weather: Portland
People: Portland
Culture: Portland
I'd rather live in Portland by far!
My exact same sentiments.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,112,274 times
Lived in Dallas for 5 years and have now lived in the Portland area for 5 years.

Shopping: Dallas, not even close.
Food: Dallas, not really close. (Although you have to fork over more $$$ for the really good stuff)
Nightlife: Dallas, barely, just due to larger size.
Music scene: Not informed enough to answer
Museums/Art: Probably Portland. Most of the best museums in Dallas are over in Ft Worth.
Downtown: Street level, Portland by a mile.
Skyline: Dallas by a mile.
Weather: Tough call. 7 months of dreariness vs 7 months of unrelenting heat. Guess I'll take the rain - Portland
People: The Dallas type A a-holes and the annoying Portland granola hipsters cancel each other out. Based on the remainder, Dallas.
Scenery: Portland, not even close
Culture: Dallas is more diverse, even though a bunch of wacky-dressing white people in Portland may think otherwise. The Northwest is culturally younger and still struggling to identify itself to some degree.
Outdoor activities: Portland by a mile.
City I would rather live in: Portland suburbs. No desire to live IN Portland, and really little desire to live within Dallas again.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,836 times
Voted for portland

Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,825,830 times
Shopping: The same stores are everywhere selling the same stuff. Who cares? I like the independent small shops though in Portland.

Food: Can't speak on this. I'm not keen on eating out too much. I love Portland's street vendors/food carts though. Not sure what they've got in Dallas.

Nightlife: Portland.

Music scene: DEFINITELY Portland. It's probably got the best music scene of any major American city right now, in my opinion. Then again I'm into the New Weird America/indie/folk kind of thing.

Museums/Art: Not sure.

Downtown: Portland.

Skyline: Dallas I suppose.

Weather: Portland.

People: George W. Bush lives in Dallas. Need I say more? This one goes to Portland. I love me some hippies and hipsters anyway.

Scenery: Portland. Dallas doesn't even compare.

Culture: Portland. The Northwest culture is sooo much... Well, let's say that Texan/Southern culture isn't so pleasant to me.

Outdoor activities: Portland by miles.

City I would rather live in: Portland.

If we were comparing Portland and Houston I think my answers might be slightly different. Houston seems way more interesting and "happening" to me than Dallas.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Shopping: Dallas
Food: I like Tex-Mex, so Dallas
Nightlife: For clubs, definately Dallas, for bars, its all the same
Music scene: For the music I like, Portland
Museums/Art: Portland (but if Fort Worth were an option, I would have said that)
Weather: Dallas, love the heat, hate rain
People: Dallas people are friendlier, Portland is more open minded
Culture: Its a tie here
City I would rather live in: Dallas, Portland is to small and cold for me

Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Shopping: The same stores are everywhere selling the same stuff. Who cares? I like the independent small shops though in Portland.

Food: Can't speak on this. I'm not keen on eating out too much. I love Portland's street vendors/food carts though. Not sure what they've got in Dallas.

Nightlife: Portland.

Music scene: DEFINITELY Portland. It's probably got the best music scene of any major American city right now, in my opinion. Then again I'm into the New Weird America/indie/folk kind of thing.

Museums/Art: Not sure.

Downtown: Portland.

Skyline: Dallas I suppose.

Weather: Portland.

People: George W. Bush lives in Dallas. Need I say more? This one goes to Portland. I love me some hippies and hipsters anyway.

Scenery: Portland. Dallas doesn't even compare.

Culture: Portland. The Northwest culture is sooo much... Well, let's say that Texan/Southern culture isn't so pleasant to me.

Outdoor activities: Portland by miles.

City I would rather live in: Portland.

If we were comparing Portland and Houston I think my answers might be slightly different. Houston seems way more interesting and "happening" to me than Dallas.
Just curious, have you been to Dallas and Houston? Youre answers seem to indicate you havent been to Dallas.

Also, what does G.W. Bush have to do with the rest of the 1.5 million people who live here? We have all kinds of people here and I can tell you for a fact people are friendlier here, even if they arent as open minded as Portlanders overall.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,825,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Just curious, have you been to Dallas and Houston? Youre answers seem to indicate you havent been to Dallas.

Also, what does G.W. Bush have to do with the rest of the 1.5 million people who live here? We have all kinds of people here and I can tell you for a fact people are friendlier here, even if they arent as open minded as Portlanders overall.
Oh, I know there are all sorts of people in Dallas. It's just there were far more Bushians in Texas though and since Dubya lives in Dallas I'd just want to stay a far cry away from wherever he's at.

I wouldn't say Portlanders are open-minded necessarily. But I would say that Texans are too friendly, in my experience. The Northwest is very nice and polite and nicely reserved. The Texans I have known have known little reserve and it's a little uncomfortable for me. They've been a little too in-your-face friendly. I can't deal with that too well.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,112,274 times
Quote:
It's just there were far more Bushians in Texas though and since Dubya lives in Dallas I'd just want to stay a far cry away from wherever he's at.

I wouldn't say Portlanders are open-minded necessarily.
I would certainly say that you are proving your own point.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know there are all sorts of people in Dallas. It's just there were far more Bushians in Texas though and since Dubya lives in Dallas I'd just want to stay a far cry away from wherever he's at.
You might be surprised to know that in the 2004 election more people in the city of Dallas (city, not Dallas county, or the metroplex) voted for John Kerry than Geroge W (57% of Dallasites voted for Kerry).

Tom Blackwell's Home Page - Dallas, Texas (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tom.blackwell/ - broken link)

Obama carried Dallas by a larger margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City