Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City feels larger: Kansas City or St.Louis?
Kansas City 12 30.77%
St.Louis 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:39 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,769,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Any areas south of KC, STL and Cincy are certainly not solidly in the Midwest by any estimation- they are areas of transition with mixes of the South and Midwest, leaning more southern overall.
Might as well throw in Indianapolis and Columbus in there as well.
Southern Missouri is no more southern than southern Indiana and Ohio.
They're all part of that transition zone. Ohio may be slightly less so, but not significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:42 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
They're all part of that transition zone. Ohio may be slightly less so, but not significantly.
The area of the Midwest where the southern influences become much less noticeable is the I-80 corridor.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:06 PM

1,355 posts, read 888,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Southern MO is much more southern and over a much larger area than other Midwestern states. Southern MO IS the south.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The area of the Midwest where the southern influences become much less noticeable is the I-80 corridor.
Won't argue with that.
South of I-70 is where it could go either way.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Southern MO is much more southern and over a much larger area than other Midwestern states. Southern MO IS the south.
Somehow, I've managed to live in mid-Missouri, southern Missouri, middle Arkansas and northern Arkansas.
Southern Missouri can, in places, be as midwestern as anything. Even around hwy 60. It never feels 100% southern to me.
Northern Arkansas is absolutely the south, except for places overrun with transplants. Even then, it's still southern at it's core, and it's not midwestern at all, just generic Americana.
Oh yeah, St. Louis feels larger, but not in any meaningful way. In other words, it's nothing for KC to be envious of. Not a horrible town, it just doesn't have significantly more to offer.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:25 PM

828 posts, read 651,228 times
St. Louis, but not by a ton.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 PM

1,122 posts, read 927,393 times
last 4 posts spot on.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
St. Louis, historically. Even today you can feel the "big city" of St. Louis despite slower growth over the decades. I believe St. Louis shares some comparisons to Detroit, in that both were great cities and have certainly fallen off over the decades. While Detroit fell harder, there is no question St. Louis also presents its best days behind. Both cities are coming back to some extent.

That said, KC overall seems to be doing better than St. Louis. Both downtowns are somewhat stagnant, and perhaps the next building boom will be residential, but there needs to be an attraction to live downtown in both. I understand there are efforts in both in this regard, but until projects actually break ground, I wonder.

The airports are another issue. St. Louis was once a hub for TWA, and then American, but no longer. KC was to be a TWA hub, but that ended quickly as the airport was poorly designed for today's aviation. I understand there are plans for a complete rebuild of MCI, but I doubt it will become a hub anytime soon.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:36 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

That said, KC overall seems to be doing better than St. Louis. Both downtowns are somewhat stagnant, and perhaps the next building boom will be residential, but there needs to be an attraction to live downtown in both. I understand there are efforts in both in this regard, but until projects actually break ground, I wonder.
I don't follow St. Louis as closely, but Kansas City's downtown has been attracting residential development for about 20 years now. Several old residential buildings were revitalised, others have been converted into residential, and new developments have also sprung up in and directly around downtown.

http://cityscenekc.com/downtown-kans...lkable-living/

Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
I am happy to stand corrected on KC downtown residential. I guess I tend to compare with some other hot markets, like Chicago and Seattle. I think old residential buildings being converted is a good sign, but my comparisons tend to be more to large, new highrise construction, at the general 400-500+ foot level. Something less is still compelling, but as in smaller density, is not competitive with what is happening in some markets. I like KC, and there is a future there, but the growth is moderate at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City