Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I do the same thing all the time. Since this is about the number 4 and I don't want to get to off topic I'll PM or see if there is another thread out there where it can be discussed.

As for this thread, if we group regions and CSAs together it boild down to, mainly, the Bay Area versus what I will call the Capital Region of D.C.-Baltimore. Based on GDP, the Capital Region wins. However, the Bay Area is more populous and has more corporate HQs. I'm pretty sure the Bay ARea has more in terms of high tech but the capital region has its fair share, plus in Bmore you have, arguably, the best med school in the nation and NIH HQ there as well. It's a tight fist fight. But Greater Houston is nothing to sleep on either in this comparison.
The SF Bay Area is not more populous than D.C.-Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I hold the same position as you. I honestly don't want to come off as an elitist (believe me, I'm the furthest thing from that) but the facts are that Silicon Valley and technology have been a major propellant in the American economy in the last 20 years. When the dot.com bubble burst in the early 2000s, we all felt it. It basically comes to what you think is more important; computers or TVs? That will determine which area you think is more important.

However, I personally prefer LA simply because I grew up there. There's no place like home! The great thing about a democracy is that every single person has the same unitary value. Even if the Bay Area is more economically relevant, facts are LA will probably be more politically relevant simply because of population.

I agree. The US is an extremely decentralized country with many important cities specializing in many different things. That's the great thing about this country, unlike many other countries where there is simply one important city with everyone revolving around it.
This is a very true and accurate statement. There are so many cities. I think 4th best, and for any city rankings for that matter, should be based on economics because other than that, everything can be so subjective.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
First state to allow gay marriage: Massachusetts
California was the first State to give Gay Marriage "National"
and "International" news coverage.
First state to allow Domestic Partnerships: Vermont
California was the first State to give International Coverage
to the issue of Domestic Partnerships.

No. The first state to give gay marriage national and international coverage was Massachusetts. The first state to give domestic partnerships international coverage was Vermont.

Quote:
Read This LINK
I know what it is...but has it been adopted by other states?

Quote:
It's nothing to be ashame of either California has Domestic
Quote:
Partnerships which has the same benefits as Gay Marriage , at
lease as far as a "State" can grant them.

I'm not saying it's something to be ashamed of. But you called Prop 8 groundbreaking...what's so groundbreaking about a law being overturned?

Quote:
If my memory serve me correctly that was back in the 1970's
80's and maybe early 90's
California residents do not pay tuition for community colleges. Rather, they pay an enrollment fee. Non-resident and international students, however, pay tuition, usually an additional $100 per unit (or credit).
In the past decade, tuition and fees have fluctuated with the state's budget................................................... ................LINK
California Community Colleges System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The California Dream: Tuition-Free Higher Education at the Crossroads.
Ok, so it's free to residents but with an "enrollment fee". It's kind of like Blockbuster allowing you to keep movies for however long you want, but you have to pay a re-stocking fee. Regardless, I'm not sure how you could make a case for that being influential on a national scale.

Quote:
Are you only talking financial influences only or is Academics also
a consideration.
[/color][/i][/b]
Both.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
[/color][/i][/b]

No. The first state to give gay marriage national and international coverage was Massachusetts. The first state to give domestic partnerships international coverage was Vermont.

Yeah but not to the same degree as California it was sort of
coming under the radar in Massachusetts and Vermont.

I know what it is...but has it been adopted by other states?

[i][b][color=purple]

I'm not saying it's something to be ashamed of. But you called Prop 8 groundbreaking...what's so groundbreaking about a law being overturned?

It was the first time that Gay Marriage was overturned in the
United States of America.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_colleges_in_the_United_States#Enrollment "]

Ok, so it's free to residents but with an "enrollment fee". It's kind of like Blockbuster allowing you to keep movies for however long you want, but you have to pay a re-stocking fee. Regardless, I'm not sure how you could make a case for that being influential on a national scale.

I agree with you nothing is free here in California they can give
you a $500,000 house and you will still have to pay the $5,000
property tax on it every year.Some other states are getting in
on the so called free community college band wagon , like Tulsa
OK everybody from the local high schools , and Michigan every-
body recently laid off and unemployed.

Both.
Yes I checked out Wikipedia and Harvard was ranked #1 and
Sanford was #2.....I'm putting Philadelphia into the mix and
saying it's a toss up and according to a person prerogative
who drops into the #4 city position.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Yeah but not to the same degree as California it was sort of
coming under the radar in Massachusetts and Vermont.
Maybe just because you weren't paying attention. It was big news out here (obviously).

Quote:
It was the first time that Gay Marriage was overturned in the
Quote:
United States of America.
True...but couldn't you argue that was regressive and not progressive, as California is known for.

Quote:
Yes I checked out Wikipedia and Harvard was ranked #1 and
Sanford was #2.....I'm putting Philadelphia into the mix and
saying it's a toss up and according to a person prerogative
who drops into the #4 city position.
I'm not sure why you keep calling Stanford 'Sanford'...but anyway...Harvard is on a different level than pretty much every other school in the country and arguably the planet.

2009 Endowment of Harvard: $25,662,000,000

2009 Endowment of Stanford, Cal Tech, Southern Cal, and the entire California state school system combined: $21,625,000,000

Link

Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Maybe just because you weren't paying attention. It was big news out here (obviously).

My Bad..................

True...but couldn't you argue that was regressive and not progressive, as California is known for.

Isn't Gay Marriage about Civil Rights , doesn't Domestic
Partnership give Gay Equal Civil Rights.........

I'm not sure why you keep calling Stanford 'Sanford'...but anyway...Harvard is on a different level than pretty much every other school in the country and arguably the planet.

I'm not sure either I know that's there's a "T" in Sanford
but sometimes I make "Mental Errors" so there you have it.

2009 Endowment of Harvard: $25,662,000,000

2009 Endowment of Stanford, Cal Tech, Southern Cal, and the entire California state school system combined: $21,625,000,000

Yeah but California has the best University System In The World!!!
California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Link
I think that I want to change my vote to Philadelphia can "I"......

Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Doesn't Domestic Partnership give Gay Equal Civil Rights.
No.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM

515 posts, read 987,027 times
Quote:
Because most new trends "and movements" in America
come out of California Los Angeles or San Francisco. Cali
cities are always in the forefront.
I grew up in California and now live in NYC... I have to disagree with this. Aside from technology (which most trends are hatched in the Silicon Valley), most everything else moves from east to west.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I grew up in California and now live in NYC... I have to disagree with this. Aside from technology (which most trends are hatched in the Silicon Valley), most everything else moves from east to west.

That your prerogative I'm not mad at you , in your eye's at lease
some things come out of California "technology"....so NYC who's
#4 Philly , DC , Boston or SF....

Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM

515 posts, read 987,027 times
Quote:
That your prerogative I'm not mad at you , in your eye's at lease
some things come out of California "technology"....so NYC who's
#4 Philly , DC , Boston or SF....
You shouldn't be mad at me, I am a huge promoter of the importance of California as a state. However, for someone who's lived in Cali all their life, I do find it funny that you say that all trends start in California and move east... how would you know?

Anyway, my list as follows...

#4: DC (it IS the capital afterall - could arguably be in the top 3)
#5: SF
#6: Boston
#7: Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City