Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Well diversity is pretty skewed in Houston, considering 11% of the population was born in Mexico, everything else was about <1%. So yeah it is in the numbers.
It also has a larger and more diverse black population, an equal Asian population, and a larger and more diverse Hispanic population. It isn't just the Mexicans in Houston.

Quote:
I said livabilty is based on many factors. Boston is the 37th most livable city in the world, 3rd in the US. Where's Houston? Only Honolulu and SF outrank Boston in the US.
According to what? A magazine, an online poll. Please. This is subjective. Right now, since 2000, according to census estimates, more people have found Houston to be more livable than Boston.

Quote:
In Massachuestts, if you picked a two hour drive from Boston, you could go hiking or skiing, boating, kayaking, the Cape or the islands, visit a multitude of smaller cities. , sometimes you may not even need to leave the city limits to due some of these things.
You do know you can do this in Houston, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Well diversity is pretty skewed in Houston, considering 11% of the population was born in Mexico, everything else was about <1%. So yeah it is in the numbers.

I said livabilty is based on many factors. Boston is the 37th most livable city in the world, 3rd in the US. Where's Houston? Only Honolulu and SF outrank Boston in the US.

In Massachuestts, if you picked a two hour drive from Boston, you could go hiking or skiing, boating, kayaking, the Cape or the islands, visit a multitude of smaller cities. , sometimes you may not even need to leave the city limits to due some of these things.

If you just focus on economy, then I can't argue with you. But when discussing the importance of a city, all aspects of that city and it's region must be considered.

Houston simply doesn't outrank Boston, or San Francisco, or DC.
I don't think we're discussing any of those aspects you're mentioning--we're discussing importance and influence which doesn't take much stock in livability unless it's being spread to other cities.

Really, if you wanted to go outside the economies of Boston and Houston, you could mentioned that Boston is both the de jure capital of Massachusetts and the de facto capital of New England, is host to several regional branches of federal institutions, generates knowledge and influence through its universities and private firms that can not be measured in simply GDP (or the GDP in Boston since the alumni/innovations might go one elsewhere to contribute), has the larger CSA, and is a fairly large trendsetter when it comes to politics.

Houston is not quite up there with Boston, but it's doing better every year and actively diversifying to being more than just the energy industry.

rainrock, you're still harping about the

Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:

If you just focus on economy, then I can't argue with you. But when discussing the importance of a city, all aspects of that city and it's region must be considered.

In Southeast Texas, you can go from being surrounded by tall pine trees under a dense forest environment to being surrounded by seagulls at the beach in a 1-2 hr drive.(Depending if you want to go to the bay or the gulf) Is such a contrast in landscape present in the Boston area?

About the only thing that you mentioned that you wouldn't be able to do in MA that you can't do in SE TX is skiing. (obviously)

Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Did you care to look at Boston's, where only the first three are above 1%? Plus, what does that even matter? It's a percentage of the total metropolitan population. Of course it'll be small.

Quote:

You can due all of the same things near Houston, except for skiing.

Quote:

Your opinion. Getting older and being around the Inner Loop more often (instead of the suburbs), Houston really does have a lot to offer, especially in and around the Inner Loop. Only thing lacking is light rail, which more is under construction now. If Houston had Boston's subway/light rail system, it's game over.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM

324 posts, read 668,876 times
The thread is assuming New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago are top three, which I agree with.

Now, for the number four spot.....The number four spot clearly belongs to San Francisco, Washington DC or Boston.

Why is Houston is an option in this poll? I'm not tying to bash Houston, but it's far from being the fourth most important city in this country.

In my opinion, Miami or Atlanta would have been better options. As you can see from the link...... http://futuresgroup.wordpress.com/20...-cities-index/

DC is 11th, SF is 15th and Boston is 29th most important, but Houston did not make the top 60.

Overall, I wanted to vote for Washington DC, but clicked for San Francisco.

Last edited by TheCity; 03-07-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,574 times
Notice how the Texans got upset with the fact that someone ranked another city above theirs. Aren't those your true colors? It's just a debate, there isn't a right answer.
First off, I would argue that DC, SF, or Boston could be fourth. I happen to be from Mass, so yeah I'm biased, but I also know the most about this place. But to think Houston could out rank any 400 year old northern city...please. You brought the regional divides in the country to light, not myself. But you’re right, being 400 years old comes with a ton of pride. You’ll be complaining that when Houston is 400, Boston will be 606 years old. On that note alone, Boston should outrank Houston.

The livability poll was http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1307990
It is the top 50 cities in the world.

In terms of diversity:
Houston’s population was 11% Mexican of 21% foreign born. The range from the smallest percentage to the largest is .01%-10.49%. Those are much skewed. 52% of Houston’s foreign population belongs to one group.
Boston’s population 16% foreign born (in a much, much smaller city) the range of ethnicities was from 1.38%-.01%, a much more spread out demographic. Also the neighborhoods are compact, meaning more diversity per area.
So yeah, I did look.

Just because more people happen to live in Houston, doesn’t make it more livable, just means it's cheap. By that argument New York is the most livable city in the country, and China is the most livable nation in the world.

SouthmoreAve, I suggest you look up an image of New England or Greater Boston. Just to the south of Boston are the Blue Hills. New Hampshire and Vermont are not further than 3 or 4 hours. The Cape and Islands are about 2 hours, the Berkshires are also about 2 hours west.

What OyCrumbler pointed out is well said! Boston is the capital of an entire region; no other city can say that. Boston’s CSA is 7.5 million and growing. It has been influencing this nation for 390 years (this year).

Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:
Notice how the Texans got upset with the fact that someone ranked another city above theirs. Aren't those your true colors? It's just a debate, there isn't a right answer.
First off, I would argue that DC, SF, or Boston could be fourth. I happen to be from Mass, so yeah I'm biased, but I also know the most about this place. But to think Houston could out rank any 400 year old northern city...please. You brought the regional divides in the country to light, not myself. But you’re right, being 400 years old comes with a ton of pride. You’ll be complaining that when Houston is 400, Boston will be 606 years old. On that note alone, Boston should outrank Houston.

The livability poll was http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1307990

In terms of diversity:
Houston’s population was 11% Mexican of 21% foreign born. The range from the smallest percentage to the largest is .01%-10.49%. Those are much skewed. 52% of Houston’s foreign population belongs to one group.
Boston’s population 16% foreign born (in a much, much smaller city) the range of ethnicities was from 1.38%-.01%, a much more spread out demographic. Also the neighborhoods are compact, meaning more diversity per area.
So yeah, I did look.

Just because more people happen to live in Houston, doesn’t make it more livable, just means it's cheap. By that argument New York is the most livable city in the country, and China is the most livable nation in the world.

SouthmoreAve, I suggest you look up an image of New England or Greater Boston. Just to the south of Boston are the Blue Hills. New Hampshire and Vermont are not further than 3 or 4 hours. The Cape and Islands are about 2 hours, the Berkshires are also about 2 hours west.

What OyCrumbler pointed out is well said! Boston is the capital of an entire region; no other city can say that. Boston’s CSA is 7.5 million and growing. It has been influencing this nation for 390 years (this year).
Yeah, but what you mentioned is ranges from 2-4 hours. Within 2-4 hours of Houston, are places like the Hill Country, the East Texas Forests, the Gulf Coast(and not all as dirtylooking waters of Galveston), the South Texas arid landscapes. I'd say thats a lot of diversity.

Yeah, Boston is the capital of an entire region, but what competition does it have? Not to mention that the region of New England is incredibly small, both in land area and population compared to the other regions of the US.

The state of Texas is bigger in all aspects with a lot more major cities, with more competition. And the region Houston is in, what ever you think it is, is bigger than New England. So it's not saying much that Boston is the capital of its region. Sure out of the cities listed, none of them are capitals of their respective regions, but none of them are located in a region as small as New England.

SF has competition in the West Coast and even just in California, DC has competition in the Northeast, Houston has competition in the South, and even just in Texas. So the fact that Boston is a capital of its region would hold not much value in comparison to the other cities. Not downgrading the importance of Boston or New England, just pointing out how small it is. I mean Boston is an incredible city rich with history, but it being a capital means nothing to me.

Anyways, in terms of importance, I think its
1 or 2.NYC/DC
3.LA
4.Chicago
5.Bay Area
6 or 7. Houston/Boston

You can swap 6 or 7, I don't care anymore, but I think Houston has the most potential, so down the line it will secure its position as 6th most important, even if some view it as 7th most currently(or even lower than that).

And, imo, I dont know if its more that DC is important, or the fact that the government is located there thats important.

Last edited by SouthmoreAve; 03-07-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 04:01 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
We aren't getting upset. I know I'm not. I really don't care if you ranked your city above it. However, we are just correcting you on what Houston has to offer. You didn't even know what the TMC or MD Anderson was. You didn't know that less than 50% of Houston's economy is tied to energy. Then you came out and called Houston a joke of a city. We now see your agenda. You don't like the city which is fine. But don't go out and demean the city because of it.

Quote:
The livability poll was Quality of Living global city rankings 2008
that's nice. However, I don't view websites to tell me where I can't enjoy my life. Houston has an excellent quality of life. No website or opinionated poll will tell me any different. Like I said, it's subjective and thus the reason why over 1 million that moved to the Houston area the past decade probably does not give a crap what that online study says. You're making to much of this livable city thing as well.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yeah, Boston is the capital of an entire region, but what competition does it have? Not to mention that the region of New England is incredibly small, both in land area and population compared to the other regions of the US.

The state of Texas is bigger in all aspects with a lot more major cities, with more competition. And the region Houston is in, what ever you think it is, is bigger than New England. So it's not saying much that Boston is the capital of its region. Sure out of the cities listed, none of them are capitals of their respective regions, but none of them are located in a region as small as New England.
And there it is folks..."Everything is bigger in Texas." You'd swear that's all its about about, size.

New England combined is an area larger Georgia (63,000sqmi), and a population of Florida (15,000,000), and its gdp is $750billion, 4th in the country. We might be small, but we certainly pack a punch. Guess what, that's smaller than Texas, we all know.

The fact is, Boston, in its own right, has a lot to pull on. Then take into account its national presence as alluded to in previous posts. Which I think is the point of this thread.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
And there it is folks..."Everything is bigger in Texas." You'd swear that's all its about about, size.

New England combined is an area larger Georgia (63,000sqmi), and a population of Florida (15,000,000), and its gdp is $750billion, 4th in the country. We might be small, but we certainly pack a punch. Guess what, that's smaller than Texas, we all know.

The fact is, Boston, in its own right, has a lot to pull on. Then take into account its national presence as alluded to in previous posts. Which I think is the point of this thread.
Florida's population is more like 18 million.....

Btw, the Texas Triangle is about the same size as Georgia, with a population of Florida and a GDP of about $800+ million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City