Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 AM

184 posts, read 571,614 times

Advertisements

New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
4th spot goes for Washington DC, no doubt about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But it isn't. Those numbers are the exact same as the MSA. The CSA number shoyld be different.
Well I can't find any statistics that say differently. I can't even find any statistics differentiating Houston's MSA from CSA.

Edit: I found population statistics for Houston CSA/MSA...looking for economic statistics.

Double edit: The two counties which are added onto Houston's MSA to create the CSA are Matagorda County and Walker county...total population: 101,477...in order to make up the $10.728 billion difference between Boston & Houston, the per capita GDP of those two counties would be $105,718, which is somewhat doubtful.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 03-08-2010 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Check the BEA website and just add them up together.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Check the BEA website and just add them up together.
I did. Cities in Matagorda & Walker county aren't on the website either because: A) They're already contained within the figure for Houston's GDP, or B) They're too small to have a figure included in the table.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
The answer is B. Just checked the same thing.

Edit: But, with Houston's much faster economic growth, it's most likely ahead of Boston now.

Last edited by Trae713; 03-08-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The answer is B. Just checked the same thing.
Right. So if their economies are too small to be included in any form of metro ranking...we can agree the economic impact of those two counties will not push Houston's CSA GDP above Boston's. Therefore, we can agree that Boston & Houston's GDPs are relatively equal.

Edit: Just saw your edit. It's possible. I guess we'll find out when the new data is released. Who knows what happened in the past year or so in this economic environment.

But your original statement that "Houston has a much larger economy than Boston" still rings false.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
1-2 hours? haha I can see both of those things in my town. I'm about 45 minutes outside of downtown Boston depending on traffic. Or if I take the commuter rail, it's about 55 minutes.

Wompatuck State Park

The Spit

North River

All of Eastern Massachusetts is scattered with resevoirs, lakes, state parks, etc. I'm sure the Houston area is too.
Nice pictures, but the contrast is even greater in Houston. From the beaches here in Greater Houston you will have palm trees to contrast the pine trees in the nothern part. And the praries out west will be different from the coastal pararies and swamps to the east. That kind of contrast isnt the same in Massachussetts.

Your confusing DIVERSITY with CONTRAST. Both areas look abundandt in different landscapes. But see how the trees in the state park dont look that much different from the trees in the spit. See how the grass from the Spit doesnt look that different from the grass by the North River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
How is culture an opinion? Can't you quantify museums, galleries, theatres, concert venues, restaurant, bars...

I would never say one culture is superior to another.

Off the top of my head Boston has the MFA which is the second largest single museum in the US, it has a collection of 450,000 pieces. It has the ICA, the Gardner, Science Museum, plus every university has its own art collection (Harvard and MIT chiefly).

Boston has the BSO and the Pops, the Handel and Haydn Society, the New England Conservatory, Berekely College of Music produces incredible talent, the Boston Ballet. The Boston Symphony Hall is considered one of the three best places to perform in the WORLD after the Amsterdam Concert Hall and Vienna's Concert Hall. There's even an opera house. Also there is Chinatown/Theater District, one of the largest in the country. Before you chew my head off, I looked up Houston's Theater District. Speaking as an architect, it looks like it was built over night for the sheer purpose for there to be a theater district, rather than an organic development. I will also say the same thing for Texas' musuems, and I know this because of art historian said this to me, you needed to create culture on par with East Coast cities.
I don't know much about the history of how the Theater District came about, but I can say that reguardless of what the initial purpose was, it has become quite a development now.

The Houston Ballet is among the best and largest (4th)in the nation, and is an international ballet company, being among the first full american ballet companies to tour in places like China and the first to perform in the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow. (Est. 1955, performs in Wortham Center, built 1987)

The Houston Grand Opera is the ONLY opera company in the WORLD to win all 4 major honors(Tony,Grammy, Emmy, and Grand Prix du Disque). Its reguarded as one of the world's principle commissioners and producers of new operas.(Founded 1955, performs at the Wortham)

The Houston Symphony performs in Jones Hall, which received the 1967 AIA honors award, even though I think its ugly. (First performed 1913)

The Alley Theater is one of only 2 theater companies in the south that has received the regional theatre tony award. (well 3 if you count Arlington,VA as the south) (Performs in its named theater, founded in 1947)

So, now they werent founded 200 years ago, but some have made names for themselves in the time that they have been established, and has allowed Houston's culture to flourish with the second largest concentration of theater seats and one of only a few US cities with year-round performing arts, yada, yada. Does Boston offer year round performing arts in all the four aspects?

And I like our Museum District, all museums, plus a zoo, a world-class park(imo) located within walking distance from each other less than 7 miles from Downtown and next to the worlds largest medical center.

Im not saying Houston's culture is better than Boston's, since thats more on the subjective side, and imo, offers the best cultural options in the region anyhow.

On the point of Houston's CSA GAP, Houston's other CSA counties dont bring anything to the table, but Houston still has an influence over them so thats why its included. And oustide the 4-5 core counties of Greater Houston, there isn't much.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Nice pictures, but the contrast is even greater in Houston. From the beaches here in Greater Houston you will have palm trees to contrast the pine trees in the nothern part. And the praries out west will be different from the coastal pararies and swamps to the east. That kind of contrast isnt the same in Massachussetts.

Your confusing DIVERSITY with CONTRAST. Both areas look abundandt in different landscapes. But see how the trees in the state park dont look that much different from the trees in the spit. See how the grass from the Spit doesnt look that different from the grass by the North River.
I understand what you're saying. By the way, The Spit is actually located at the mouth of the North River, so that's why they look so similar haha. Those two pictures were taken about 5 minutes away from one another. I just liked them both ha.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
The Houston Ballet is among the best and largest (4th)in the nation, and is an international ballet company, being among the first full american ballet companies to tour in places like China and the first to perform in the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow. (Est. 1955, performs in Wortham Center, built 1987)
Interesting. According to Wiki, the Boston Ballet was the first American dance company to perform in China. The Boston Ballet School is also the largest in North America.

Quote:
The Houston Symphony performs in Jones Hall, which received the 1967 AIA honors award, even though I think its ugly. (First performed 1913)
That's pretty cool, but Boston has two of the finest symphonies in the world with the Boston Pops and Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Quote:
So, now they werent founded 200 years ago, but some have made names for themselves in the time that they have been established, and has allowed Houston's culture to flourish with the second largest concentration of theater seats and one of only a few US cities with year-round performing arts, yada, yada. Does Boston offer year round performing arts in all the four aspects?
What do you mean in all four aspects? Theater, Symphony Orchestra, Ballet, and Opera? I have no idea haha. Boston has a very strong performing arts culture though, which is definitely helped by the number of colleges in the area.

Quote:
And I like our Museum District, all museums, plus a zoo, a world-class park(imo) located within walking distance from each other less than 7 miles from Downtown and next to the worlds largest medical center.
I'd be interested to see how Longwood would compare to TMC in terms of size. I think it would be pretty close. There are several institutions within Longwood, and any attempts I've made to find out the total square footage of the area always comes up empty. Like TMC, it's huge and constantly growing. However, while TMC and Houston are major players in healthcare, Boston is still tops in the country and arguably the world.

Quote:
Im not saying Houston's culture is better than Boston's, since thats more on the subjective side, and imo, offers the best cultural options in the region anyhow.
I absolutely agree. I get a bit frustrated when people will try to act as if a city's culture is worth less due to where the city is located. Unfortunately on this site especially, cities like Houston fall victim of such attacks. Boston is treated less venomously by most, but I won't claim Boston to be superior to Houston in this area because there's so much about Houston I don't know about (and Boston too for that matter haha).

Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,308,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I did. Cities in Matagorda & Walker county aren't on the website either because: A) They're already contained within the figure for Houston's GDP, or B) They're too small to have a figure included in the table.
I don't think the BEA has economic data for micro SA. But, it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference in the 10 billion dollar difference. But they would be closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City