Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
First off- anyone who thinks D.C. is the most important city in the U.S. just because it's our "capital" knows nearly nothing about America and has probably never been to New York- and it's not even close.
Well I guess you're right. Other than the fact that DC houses the President--who is considered the most powerful man in the world--as well as the Legislative and Judicial branches of our government, as well as the seat of the most powerful military in the world (Pentagon), and also as well as the headquarters for nearly all Federal agencies--it really isn't the most important city in America. Silly me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Well I guess you're right. Other than the fact that DC houses the President--who is considered the most powerful man in the world--as well as the Legislative and Judicial branches of our government, as well as the seat of the most powerful military in the world (Pentagon), and also as well as the headquarters for nearly all Federal agencies--it really isn't the most important city in America. Silly me.
Yea I think he's going a little overboard there. I believe New York is more important than DC, but DC is definitely #2 in my book.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,308,766 times
I wonder why when we talk about cultural ammenities we only think about ballets, symphonies, and art galleries? Are those the only cultural ammenities available? While I know this is illegal, but graffiti is culture too. Some designs I see are quite worthy to be called art. What about "freestyling" in urban neighborhoods? I think we need to examine how we're using culture before we say one city has more culture than another. With the cities being compared, IMO, not one has more culture than the other, all of them are quite significant.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I wonder why when we talk about cultural ammenities we only think about ballets, symphonies, and art galleries? Are those the only cultural ammenities available? While I know this is illegal, but graffiti is culture too. Some designs I see are quite worthy to be called art. What about "freestyling" in urban neighborhoods? I think we need to examine how we're using culture before we say one city has more culture than another. With the cities being compared, IMO, not one has more culture than the other, all of them are quite significant.
Yea but there's absolutely no way to quantify "freestyling" or grafiti art. I think that's why people tend to look at things from their cities that are world-renowned, etc, etc. Not all of us are going to the opera or ballet...but it's considered to be "culture" in the traditional manner.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,308,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea but there's absolutely no way to quantify "freestyling" or grafiti art. I think that's why people tend to look at things from their cities that are world-renowned, etc, etc. Not all of us are going to the opera or ballet...but it's considered to be "culture" in the traditional manner.
And that's exactly what I'm getting at. What makes these things more cultural than other things? I'm just saying that culture is a very problematic term to define. I could go on but I hope my point has been illustrated.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Right LOL

I'm pretty damn uncultured if that's considered culture. Another thing is how are people going to say one culture is better the other. What are people in DC, Boston, and SF doing that's more cultured than what people are doing in Houston???

Did Houston's Museum and Theater district get nuked??? Are we not one of the most diverse cities in the country?? Is hosting one of the world's largest rodeo not part of our culture??? I don't get it

Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM

321 posts, read 720,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Right LOL

I'm pretty damn uncultured if that's considered culture. Another thing is how are people going to say one culture is better the other. What are people in DC, Boston, and SF doing that's more cultured than what people are doing in Houston???

Did Houston's Museum and Theater district get nuked??? Are we not one of the most diverse cities in the country?? Is hosting one of the world's largest rodeo not part of our culture??? I don't get it

I mentioned those because they had already been brought up. I agree- people tend to have a certain slant toward so called "high" culture, which is unfair. That being said, it doesnt change the fact that if we were to debate the quality of tangible "high" cultural destinations, Boston would be ahead of Houston on those terms.

While I agree that Texas culture should be valued and appreciated, and I think you're example of the large rodeo is a good one, the fact remains that most of Houston is soulless and generic sprawl that could exist anywhere- making much of the culture you value difficult to experience in spontaneous forms (also threatening the very existence of that culture as anything but simulacrum).

I think thats the underlying issue most people have with sun-belt cities and sprawl that they cant put their finger on. At least aside from traffic, smog, environmental destruction etc.

In saying that, i have to also note that the "high" culture we speak of is exactly that (simulacrum), but Im just noting the objective differences in the high culture of Boston vs. Houston.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 PM

321 posts, read 720,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You're making my point- that if you think the things you mentioned make D.C. more important than New York than you know very little about the U.S., and the world for that matter.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
I mentioned those because they had already been brought up. I agree- people tend to have a certain slant toward so called "high" culture, which is unfair. That being said, it doesnt change the fact that if we were to debate the quality of tangible "high" cultural destinations, Boston would be ahead of Houston on those terms.

While I agree that Texas culture should be valued and appreciated, and I think you're example of the large rodeo is a good one, the fact remains that most of Houston is soulless and generic sprawl that could exist anywhere- making much of the culture you value difficult to experience in spontaneous forms (also threatening the very existence of that culture as anything but simulacrum).

I think thats the underlying issue most people have with sun-belt cities and sprawl that they cant put their finger on. At least aside from traffic, smog, environmental destruction etc.

In saying that, i have to also note that the "high" culture we speak of is exactly that (simulacrum), but Im just noting the objective differences in the high culture of Boston vs. Houston.
I'm not even going to debate this because these arguments have become redundant and just uniformed people with unnecessary inflated egos boasting about nothing unique. What I will say is I love living this uncultured, soulless, generic city.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
I agree- people tend to have a certain slant toward so called "high" culture, which is unfair.
Please define "high culture."

Quote:
the fact remains that most of Houston is soulless and generic sprawl
That is a VERY subjective opinion, and one that is very biased. How is Houston "soul-less"? Are you God, that defines a city or region? I made a stupid post earlier in this thread but I can guarantee you that the people of Houston are as "soulful" as anyone (if not more so) than anyone else in the country. They have HEART, which is much more than I've seen demonstrated by cities in the Northeast where you're looked at strange if you say hello to a stranger. People in Houston care about their fellow human beings, and I like that.

Quote:
Another condescending statement. Environmental destruction was first hoisted upon the US by cities in the Northeast. Of course cities in the SE and other parts of the US have done the same, but the culture of the automobile had more to contribute to that than the people themselves.

Quote:
Your continuous "noting" of the "high culture" of Boston represents the smug attitude that you Northeasterners embrace. Something that I am glad of which I no longer have to experience.

Smugness, arrogance, and rude behavior is something that is lacking in Houston and in particular, Texas. I'll take Houston any day over living with the rude people of the Northeastern US.

BTW, Houston IS one of the most culturaly diverse cities in the entire United States with a smorgasbord of the "high culture" which you speak. Experience for yourself, if you ever have the opportunity, the art, dance, theatre, and intense culture of Houston. You wouldn't merely be surprised, you'd be enchanted.

Last edited by buzzpost; 03-09-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City