Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Television news programs certainly aren't the Bay Area's strong point (it's not really Los Angeles's strong point either; Atlanta should get third; NYC and DC get coverage for obvious reasons). Television in general was never the Bay Area's strong point. However, you did send us a youtube link.
NBS Nightly News is anchored in Los Angeles on a pretty regular basis, though. If NBC decided to broadcast the Nightly News from a fourth city, it would probably be Chicago before San Francisco. Atlanta is peculiar because of Ted Turner. None of the major broadcasting networks ever have programs that are anchored in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I've always wondered: what does Miami bring to the table besides the connections to Latin America? (Not that the Latin American connection isn't important) I feel like basically all its importance comes from cultural influence and being the US HQ for Latin companies.

Why does that mean it should be put into the same category as Boston, SF, Houston, or Atlanta in terms of national importance?

Can we finally just write off Detroit? The American auto-industry is on life support and that appears to be all Detroit has to offer...
It's also sometimes the main headquarters for companies whose main base of operations are in Latin America. Miami is odd in that it brings a lot to the table, but the Latin American table and it just happens to be in the US. I think because of this we easily discount the influence of Miami. I myself didn't really think much of Miami before I got absorbed into a puerto rican family and was brought into the fold.

Join us.

And I don't think Detroit can be written off yet. It's certainly towards the lower end of the big city tier, but it's still there and its metro is still remarkably affluent and the companies are still really huge. I'm not looking forward to a dead Detroit, and I'm hoping it doesn't happen. This is why we're all making a C-D pact to develop our skills and savings and move en masse to Detroit proper within the next five years, right?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 PM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
Yes D.C. is winning the poll

Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
NBS Nightly News is anchored in Los Angeles on a pretty regular basis, though. If NBC decided to broadcast the Nightly News from a fourth city, it would probably be Chicago before San Francisco. Atlanta is peculiar because of Ted Turner. None of the major broadcasting networks ever have programs that are anchored in Atlanta.
Los Angeles is ahead of the Bay Area for television news programming, but it's still far from the prominence of NYC and DC though. Atlanta is peculiar because of Turner, yes, but that's a really significant peculiarity. Turner and his former properties have made Atlanta a media center.

However, the form of media has changed quite a while now. How we see and use the news (and media in general) is much the result of what's gone on in the Bay Area. You send us a youtube link to show us the video. I get almost all my news from news aggregators that skim other parts and portions. The Bay Area companies may not have created the news, but they have played a large part in the basic way we use and interact with it.

Also, I really like Wired.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
It's also sometimes the main headquarters for companies whose main base of operations are in Latin America. Miami is odd in that it brings a lot to the table, but the Latin American table and it just happens to be in the US. I think because of this we easily discount the influence of Miami. I myself didn't really think much of Miami before I got absorbed into a puerto rican family and was brought into the fold.

Join us.
Interesting...still, I don't think it should be put in the class of the aforementioned cities. I think it belongs one rung down from them. Personal opinion though.

Quote:
This is why we're all making a C-D pact to develop our skills and savings and move en masse to Detroit proper within the next five years, right?
Umm...I...ummm...er--psshhhhh--you're breaking up--pshhhhh--I'm driving through a tunnel--pssss--I'll call you ba-- .......

Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
No I agree with him entirely, but not for the present, because of Chicago & Los Angeles's sheer size. But in a few years from now, that will be the line up.

- New York City
- Washington DC
- Bay Area
- Los Angeles
- Chicago

And I'm not talking about by GMP measurements but by influence.

Here check this for more detail on this topic regarding these 5 places:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...york-city.html

Also you asked what Chicago's main industry points are? Well 1/3 of the total goods transported in the United States go through Chicago, transportation of any means is always regulated through Chicago, and of course CME. Those are Chicago's flagships.
Also Chicago boosts the most diverse economy in the United States of America, that is a factor that keeps it from falling like many other cities and will be a reason that keeps it top 5 for long to come.

IMO, I think spots 2-4 are entirely debatable presently for Washington DC, Los Angeles, & Chicago. For the present. In the future Los Angeles & Chicago are going to be 4 & 5, IMO.

Well Boston has always outranked it due to its industries and overall importance in finance, education, among other things. Houston has a flagship industry which is energy, and its GDP is larger. DFW is a very important Metropolitan area but I think that your points are best left for another thread.

Why point for another thread, the others were selective and many people believe there are at least three cities that could be in the same discussion with these, why were Houston and Boston even in the mix?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Do you feel Miami, Philadelphia, and Detroit are arguable cases?

I dont think for 4, but to be discussed with Houston or Boston, most definately, Houston looks so odd in this list, maybe in 20 years but today, no, Boston again not the prominence of DC and a combined bay area is also ahead of it.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Am I missing something or is there a ghost poster that isn't showing up/has been deleted? Or am I having an acid flashback and only seeing kidphilly's posts? Entirely possible...

Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
In certain aspects yes. But I am thinking more into a global stratosphere.

Miami- Latin American nations, has absolutely small connections to Asian economic powerhouses & weak on European economic activities.

Detroit- They have a good amount of influence still and they rightfully should, economically they still put up a large output, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Their sphere of influence has been diminishing as the years go by.

Philadelphia- I feel they are a large regional power, but they don't have that appeal to say Asia, Europe, Latin America as many of their competitors do. They have a good pharmacy base, but again, IMO I don't see them being global powers now or the future.

And all that may sound harsh, but honestly it's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, and we should all be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, what separates it from Philadelphia is it's global involvement in finance, and global involvement in education and medical research among the top in the world. Boston is also one of the most connected cities to it's European counterparts, which is a strong connection to have.

Houston, Latin America's gateway cargo port, projections of port activity increasing by 27% after the 2014 Panama Canal extension goes through, and number one trader with Latin America, and has exponentially increased trade with China as well due to lower costs.
Oil & Gas leads connections to Middle Eastern nations like United Arab Emirates and how much collaboration they have. There are some from U.A.E who have been investing in real estate in Houston lately as well, one has a project lined up for a supertall but it's only in the pre-proposal stages. So there are a lot of real estate and oil & gas connections there.

Just my opinion though. I think more about Present- Future than Past- Present. I guess it's because I don't like history all that much and the old news bores me, old accomplishments bore me, I want to see the new and whats going to happen more than what already has. Places with an increase in strength interest me more. But I do also hope Detroit bounces back on its feet and stabilizes, that is something I would love to see.

Actually no dude, Detroit has some strong connections to Asia. I learned form LAnative10 actually they output more than DFW & Houston when it comes to Asian flight services and it is because of the auto-industry.

I do agree though Detroit is a diminishing force but presently I feel it still deserves top 10. More than Miami at least.

And YES! Finally someone that agrees with me on Miami economically!

I would disagree that Philadelphia has no European connections, I believe there are 5 of Europes strongest companies with their US headquarters in Philly, plus I believe it has more direct Eurpoean flights (but again very close) when compared to boston. On Medical research, while Boston gets more NIH funding I do not believe that is the single defining criteria, also the amount of medical research both would be pretty close. In Law Philly is one of the top centers for both US and International law, and is arguably the 2nd most prominent city in the US education, at worst top 5 or 6. It also is a major center for finance, insurance, telecom, and healthcare overall including Pharma, the largest concentration of Pharma exisits at it's doorsteps. Philadelphia is likely one of the most stable and solidly diverse economies in the nation. It is also now increasing its prominence in communications and one of the 3 major networks is a Philadelphia company.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would disagree that Philadelphia has no European connections, I believe there are 5 of Europes strongest companies with their US headquarters in Philly, plus I believe it has more direct Eurpoean flights (but again very close) when compared to boston. On Medical research, while Boston gets more NIH funding I do not believe that is the single defining criteria, also the amount of medical research both would be pretty close. In Law Philly is one of the top centers for both US and International law, and is arguably the 2nd most prominent city in the US education, at worst top 5 or 6. It also is a major center for finance, insurance, telecom, and healthcare overall including Pharma, the largest concentration of Pharma exisits at it's doorsteps. Philadelphia is likely one of the most stable and solidly diverse economies in the nation. It is also now increasing its prominence in communications and one of the 3 major networks is a Philadelphia company.
I didn't know that, thank you for clearing that up. I just haven't seen much on import/export from anything besides New York City in the Eastern Seaboard to Asia.

I overlooked European connections and some of how Pharmaceutical companies can be involved there. I believe somewhere near 85% of the nations pharmacy companies draw their root lines form there?

And the diverse economy is what is keeping it from having some of the problems Los Angeles is right now. So again, nice point. I overlooked that, since I wasn't too far familiar with the industries there, and I didn't at all even think about higher education which seems to be a bloodstream for many Northeastern cities like Boston, Washington DC, & Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City