Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
We should consolidate all these arguments for Boston and Houston and other cities along those lines in a battle for ranking 6 through 12 (1-5 being a fight between Bay Area, CHI, DC, LA, NYC and 6 through 12 are duked out between ATL, BOS, DET, DFW, HOU, MIA, PHI). That would make the most sense.
I think you're definitely right. Probably, though, you could drop Detroit. I'm not sure if Detroit is competitve with the other cities mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 PM

228 posts, read 397,440 times
I agree also. Top 5 NYC, LA, CHI, SF, DC. Houston/Dallas/ATL/BOS/MinnStp
round out the the top ten.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM

I mistakenly put Bay Area instaed of Boston in a previous post regarding population. These people who try to use CSA instead of MSA are grasping. For the Boston homer Dallas has surged way ahead of you in poulation. I'm referring to MSA vs MSA not Dallas verses the eastern seaboard. DFW is the 3rd busiest airport, just look it up. When I mentioned presidents it was in reference to the political clout of the city and state from which Kerry and Dukakis are from. That would be Boston and MA. If you can't understand that association than you are just dense.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM

One last post on this silly subject to the Boston homers. At just over 600K Boston would be the 3rd largest city in DFW!! Behind Dallas 1.3 mil and Ft.Worth 736,000. Boston lol!! It it will only continue to DWARF little BeanTown!! Oh and go ahead use the CSA arguement and include all of New England and DFW can claim Arkansas Oklahoma and Northern Louisanna. DFW will be at 9+million. If you don't think so check out the North Central Texas Council of Governments population estamates.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0810 View Post
One last post on this silly subject to the Boston homers. At just over 600K Boston would be the 3rd largest city in DFW!! Behind Dallas 1.3 mil and Ft.Worth 736,000. Boston lol!! It it will only continue to DWARF little BeanTown!! Oh and go ahead use the CSA arguement and include all of New England and DFW can claim Arkansas Oklahoma and Northern Louisanna. DFW will be at 9+million. If you don't think so check out the North Central Texas Council of Governments population estamates.
Your an idiot.

Land Area
Boston MSA= 4.5k
Dallas MSA= 9.2K
Boston CSA= 10.6K
Dallas CSA= North Texas

If Boston has to use CSA numbers to counter Federal census corruption and make it an apples to apples comparison than so be it.

Boston is a much better city and metro than Dallas, maybe in two hundred years or so Dallas will be on the same level as Boston, but for now its not. SunBelt cities are made to seem alot larger than they actually are by the Census bureau.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0810 View Post
When I mentioned presidents it was in reference to the political clout of the city and state from which Kerry and Dukakis are from. That would be Boston and MA. If you can't understand that association than you are just dense.
Ted Kennedy was the force behind more legislation (The American's with Disabilities act, the Civil Rights Act of '91, No Child Left Behind, Healthcare reform, etc...) than any other legistalor in US history. Take any political issue from the last 4 decades, and chances are Kennedy played a major roll.

To say Massachusetts has no political clout on the national stage is ludicrous. But job well done on that 3rd busiest airport.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Your an idiot use the real census data!! MSA not CSA Dallas 6.6 Boston who cares.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM

no IF you care to check the data from NCTCOG Dallas will reach 9 million by 2035. They have been spot on for yearsi wikies state Dallas has the largest concetration of corporate hq in the counrty. Dallas GDP IS LARGER THAN BOSTON IF YOU CARE USE THE REAL DATA. TED KENNEDY LOL!!! AND JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE GOES TO HARVARD DOES NOT MAKE THEM A BOSTONIAN! THE MAJORITY OF THE STUDENTS ARE FROM ELSEWHERE, LIKELY MORE FROM TX THAN MA.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I am willing to bet that Dallas nor Houston reach 9 million by 2035, the hard growth still lies ahead, they will get larger but really do not see 9 million by then

Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 PM

I'll take that bet. All indications point there. The NCTCOG predictions are very accurate.
I cant understand how Northeastern people can't accept the FACT the DALLAS & HOUSTON are
as important as BOSTON? Dallas and Houston are juggernauts of business and commerce! Boston not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City