Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time placing Boston above Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm not sure why. Boston has a larger economy, it's a tech-powerhouse, especially in biotechnology. It's also ranked as the #9 financial center on the planet. Houston has the Texas Medical Center, which is great...but Boston is better in this regard, which is why we receive the most NIH funding in the nation.

Harvard and MIT produce some of the most influential people in the country and on the planet.

We've had this discussion before.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 AM

763 posts, read 1,299,063 times
Quote:
I could not, in good conscience, put San Fran over Houston or Boston

Old 07-24-2009, 11:45 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not sure why. Boston has a larger economy, it's a tech-powerhouse, especially in biotechnology. It's also ranked as the #9 financial center on the planet. Houston has the Texas Medical Center, which is great...but Boston is better in this regard, which is why we receive the most NIH funding in the nation.

Harvard and MIT produce some of the most influential people in the country and on the planet.

Actually based on 2009 data the Houston metro is 5th largest in GDP right ahead of DFW and Philly but behind NYC, LA, Chicago, and DC.

Boston receives the most NIH because of the universities and colleges, which is well deserved. However, the Texas Medical Center is more known for its healthcare treatment than its research which is why individual institutions, such as MD Anderson Cancer Center has been ranked in the top 3 in cancer treatment for the past few decades (currently is #1). There are 8 highly ranked specialty institutions the make up the Texas Medical Center.

However, I think what really gives Houston the edge is the energy industry which gives Houston that international edge over SF and Boston. I think DC is number 4 based on it being the capital of the US and all that comes with being the capital of a superpower. The energy industry attracts companies, workers, talent, ideas from every part of the globe.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Houston deserves credit, but I would still put Boston ahead due to how influential Boston's universities and colleges are. They may not generate as much in easily measurable wealth as the energy industry, but what they do generate in thought and culture has a large effect on the rest of the world.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,681 times
I don't see Boston has a larger economy. You are just comparing one or two fields you know about. Actually, Houston has the 2nd most fortune 500 companies right behind NYC. Boston is far behind in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Houston deserves credit, but I would still put Boston ahead due to how influential Boston's universities and colleges are. They may not generate as much in easily measurable wealth as the energy industry, but what they do generate in thought and culture has a large effect on the rest of the world.
Well I though this was based on importance though. If I had to choose, I'd place Houston over Boston, with SF over both. Assuming this is based of the metro areas of these cities. Boston isn't the only city that offer great universities, they just receive the most attention.

Oil is one of the most important things in American society. People will push Houston farther down to the list because it lacks the history, urbanity, and publicity that the other cities have. Also it being in the south dosen't help much either. To say Oil is all over the world is BS, Houston is king of oil in AMERICA.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Well I though this was based on importance though. If I had to choose, I'd place Houston over Boston, with SF over both. Assuming this is based of the metro areas of these cities.

Oil is one of the most important things in American society.
I think influence goes hand-in-hand with importance. Oil is incredibly important (though Houston does not have a complete lock on the energy industry, and there many other things that are important which are associated with, but not exclusive to an area), but I feel the innovations and thoughts that come out of Boston to be more so.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think influence goes hand-in-hand with importance. Oil is incredibly important (though Houston does not have a complete lock on the energy industry, and there many other things that are important which are associated with, but not exclusive to an area), but I feel the innovations and thoughts that come out of Boston to be more so.
Houston is one of the top cities when it comes to innovations.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09..._cities/11.htm

Boston is higher on the list though.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Houston is one of the top cities when it comes to innovations.
Certainly, it's one of the nation's largest cities, is quite wealthy, and has good universities and research institutes of its own. It's just likely that Boston has come up with more innovations as its institutions attract many of the world's brightest and most talented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City