Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Certainly, it's one of the nation's largest cities, is quite wealthy, and has good universities and research institutes of its own. It's just likely that Boston has come up with more innovations as its institutions attract many of the world's brightest and most talented.
Well, for Houston to be such a large city, it's Education system kind of sucks, especially when it comes to variety of universities.

However, Houston is home to NASA, One of American's most busiest ports, Energy, Oil, Biotechnology, Manufacturing,etc

When it comes to these things, Houston is usually on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I don't see Boston has a larger economy. You are just comparing one or two fields you know about. Actually, Houston has the 2nd most fortune 500 companies right behind NYC. Boston is far behind in that regard.
The importance of Fortune500 companies is overrated, as I've mentioned before. It's based on revenues only...of the Top 10 Fortune500 companies, 4 of them were in the red. The Fortune500 is important, but I think people base too much on it. I'm not sure where DV saw that Houston's economy was larger, but my sources show this:

Boston: $290B
Houston: $235B

Source

DV said that his source was from 2009...but I'm not sure how Houston would be able to make up that ground in 4 years.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The importance of Fortune500 companies is overrated, as I've mentioned before. It's based on revenues only...of the Top 10 Fortune500 companies, 4 of them were in the red. The Fortune500 is important, but I think people base too much on it. I'm not sure where DV saw that Houston's economy was larger, but my sources show this:

Boston: $290B
Houston: $235B

Source

DV said that his source was from 2009...but I'm not sure how Houston would be able to make up that ground in 4 years.
Just think that if Exxon Mobil was Headquartered in Houston, its oil is here.

Quote:
ExxonMobil is organized functionally into a number of global operating divisions. These divisions are grouped into three categories for reference purposes, though the company also has several ancillary divisions, such as Coal & Minerals, which are stand alone.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Here's my case for Boston, which I had posted in another thread awhile back:

Here's what Boston does great:

- The mecca of higher education. How does that affect the country? Some of the most important people in the country and world were educated in Boston. Harvard Grads, Non-Grads, Harvard Business School, MIT Grads.

- We're a biotech and pharmaceutical powerhouse. Companies like Millenium Pharmaceuticals, Merck, Millipore, Genzyme, Biogen Idec, and Abbot Labs have headquarters or major presence in the area.

- Boston gets the most funding out of any other city in the country for Medical Research from the National Institute of Health.

- We also have tech-companies like EMC Corp and Analog Devices. It was named the fourth-largest cybercity in the US behind NYC, Washington DC and Silicon Valley with 191,700 high-tech jobs.

- Major financial services companies are based in Boston like State Street Corp, Fidelity, and Liberty Mutual. It's considered one of the top financial centers on the planet. Consulting firms like Bain & Co and The Boston Consulting Group. Other major companies include Teradyne, one of the world's leading manufacturers of semi-conductors, and Raytheon, a defense systems company.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 07-24-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Problem seems to be, why Chicago? Outside of Illinois, Chicago is of very little importance. DC should be third

Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Problem seems to be, why Chicago? Outside of Illinois, Chicago is of very little importance. DC should be third
That's the understatement of the century. Chicago is one of the most important financial centers on the planet.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Just think that if Exxon Mobil was Headquartered in Houston, its oil is here.
I'm not quite sure what you mean...are you saying Houston's GDP would be much higher if Exxon was HQ'd in Houston?

Also, doesn't EM pump oil from all over the world? Not just Texas?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean...are you saying Houston's GDP would be much higher if Exxon was HQ'd in Houston?

Also, doesn't EM pump oil from all over the world? Not just Texas?
Yes and Yes

Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes and Yes
Houston's numbers would also be pumped up if Chevron were HQed there as well.

There used to be so many rumors swirling about Chevron leaving DT SF back in the 90s and everyone was positive they were moving to Houston. Imagine the surprise when they did in fact leave DT SF, but instead of going to Houston they moved to a suburban office park outside of Oakland.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM

353 posts, read 816,909 times
Quote:
That's the understatement of the century. Chicago is one of the most important financial centers on the planet.
I think he is reffering that Chicago isn't recognize financially as DC or New York would.

I think Chicago would fall in a category with Sydney when it comes to financial and cultural status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City