U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:45 PM

90 posts, read 255,679 times

Advertisements

Alanboy.......you're being too "generous" about PG Co. Maryland, I would say it's more like 3/4 than 1/2........I would also add Baltimore Maryland.......it's BADDDDDDD
Rate this post positively

Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 PM

26,355 posts, read 39,344,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
Alanboy.......you're being too "generous" about PG Co. Maryland, I would say it's more like 3/4 than 1/2........I would also add Baltimore Maryland.......it's BADDDDDDD
i thought so. i had to give PG a lil credit. it is cheap compared to the rest of the DC area. but u get what you paid for.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:16 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,521,160 times
You missed a huge one - Detroit. The problems that are in that city don't get much worse. Some of the northern suburbs of Detroit are great, but the city itself (with the exception of downtown) is a mess.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,797,756 times
Rebuilder, you're being too sympathetic to P.G. Co. as well. It's rather 95% of it that is a P.O.S. The only parts of P.G. that aren't bad are those that have no one living in them! Hell, NE & SE D.C. are at least trying to revive some of their neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:28 PM

554 posts, read 2,428,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
What cities would just seem to be very troubled and have alot of social problems going on with (high rates of violent crime, high-levels of deep poverty and just overall alot of problems.

-Indianapolis, Indiana: That city is just a mess. Very high violent crime rate, lots of poverty and social problems. It could be a nice place because its very, very cheap and has close proximity to Chicago and neat college-town downtowns (West Lafayette and Bloomington) are close. But overall Indianapolis is a city with a very, very high amount of problems overall. Also, it appears that the city of Indianapolis has many, many neighborhoods which have been going down-hill for decades.

I love how they are so obcessed with trying to have a big city type downtown (Its actually a very boring albeit clean downtown as a whole) that they just let pretty much the rest of the city go to down-hill big time!
I agree. Downtown is pretty boring, with the exception of the mall. But, it's my hometown, so I have to say a few things about the city.

Crime IS rising, but it isn't as bad as Detroit, Philly, etc.
Philadelphia had over 100 murders since January 2007, while Indianapolis had around 32 (I think, I'm not sure of the exact number). And Philly is about twice Indy's size, so if crime was REALLY bad, Indy would have 50+ murders.
The poverty rate for Indianapolis is about 15.1% Now compare that to Detroit or Cleveland. Both cities have poverty rates of over 25%.

The city DOES have problems (lack of a good public transportation system, bad communication with the mayor and police department, etc.) but people living in the city can change that. If the Mayor isn't doing a good job keeping the city safe, go out and vote. Get a new sheriff. Elect someone that actually cares about the city. Neighborhoods should be gentrified, especially ones close to downtown. That way the urban life of the city won't die, and wealthy people who moved to the suburbs won't have to drive 30+ miles to get to work everyday. I think the houses along Meridian Street going into downtown are nice, but it seems more suburban than urban.

Despite everything said, Indy remains the fastest growing metro area in the Midwest. 9% growth from 2000-2006. However, the city itself only grew by 3,000 people. I hope the people in charge learn to do their jobs. I like visiting Indy, but I don't want my hometown to end up like Detroit.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 AM

653 posts, read 3,307,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
You missed a huge one - Detroit. The problems that are in that city don't get much worse. Some of the northern suburbs of Detroit are great, but the city itself (with the exception of downtown) is a mess.
YES--How was DETROIT missed?? Been there-done it--the majority of the place is a disaster. And Pueblo Colorado was mentioned-been there too. Truly is a "Shabby" place.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,475,967 times
Default Camden

Since Camden is now the "Most Dangerous" city in America, gotta nominate it. There is nothing redeeming about this place - well, maybe the aquarium. Other places mentioned (Indy for instance) are not nearly as bad. I would walk around most areas of Indy, not Camden.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:34 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,625,997 times
1) Killadelphia
2) Detroit
3)Camden
4)Cincinatti

Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,237,606 times
St. Louis
Detroit
NYC
Rochester, NY
Buffalo, NY
Camden, NJ
Jacksonville, FL
Baltimore
Atlanta

Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,968,994 times
Kansas City is fine, just stay west of Troost. And that is not a new development. At least since the 1960s, the advice has been to stay west of Troost Avenue for the safe neighborhoods in K.C.

Brookside, Country Club, Sunset Hill and the Plaza (basically from 43d Street south 'til 75th Street) are all quite pleasant, even luxurious.

And the downtown is improving, between the river and Crown Center/ Penn Valley, so from 1st Street until 31st Street).

Midtown and Westport have petty crime, and again Waldo and points south have petty crime, but you aren't going to get mugged west of Troost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City