Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 AM

3 posts, read 10,988 times

Advertisements

hi my partner is american from florida we are currently living in the uk but he is wanting to move back to the states he dont want to go back to florida he does not like it there so he has given me the choice of salt lake city, denver colorado or great falls montana we have 4 children so are wanting good schools my daughter is a dancer so we would like her to carry that on, we want seasons not just sun snow would be a bonus as we dont get it here
a main point is my partner will be away most of the time driving a truck so we want somewhere friendly with things to do for teenagers down to babies age
hope you can help im confused and stuck on which to chose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Wow, very different cities. All have plenty of snow. Don't know about the others but SLC is very family-friendly.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 PM

thats what i have been thinking i have been doing so much research and slc is the only one that seems to come up family friendly and some of the schools seem excellent
?????????????

Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
The schools have lower-paid teachers and much larger class sizes than in other states. However, the culture values educaiton, so there is a high level of graduation from high school.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 PM

762 posts, read 2,119,910 times
Great Falls is a beautiful little city, but it is definitely that: a LITTLE city. If you're used to a city, particularly in Europe, that's not the place for you.

Denver and SLC are pretty similar in my mind, though Denver is obviously larger and has a few more cultural assets. However, I find the weather in SLC to be far superior (no tornadoes!) and I don't like how east of Denver is just flat, flat, FLAT. (I'm really not objective about this at all.... I live in SLC and love it.) Frankly, I think of Denver as a bigger SLC, with all the bad things that come with being bigger but not really that many more good things.

And it is true that SLC is probably the most family friendly of the three.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 AM

i think no tornados is a big plus we had one in florida when we were there a few years ago, the schools where we live now are quite the same but from what i have read about slc schools they encourage brighter children my daughter is only 9 but at education wise is the same as a 13 year old and above the school she is at now know this yet do nothing about it so she spends most of her school time bored s she needs more challenging work
house prices do not seem to bad either for what you getwe have looked at some rentald for when we first arrive and then propertys for sale and they are half the price of what we have here with a lot more
i think my mind is made up and it will be salt lake city which my hubby will be very pleased with as slc was his first choice

Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 AM

14,409 posts, read 14,329,059 times
Great Falls is not only small, its going to be very cold in the winter. If you move there than be prepared for colder, longer winters. Personally, I'd limit my choices to either Salt Lake or Denver.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:26 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,757,361 times
Great Falls is not remotely in the same category as Salt Lake City and Denver. If you're looking for 4-season cities in the mountain west, then Boise and Spokane would also be places to consider. Maybe Alburquerque. But not Great Falls.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 PM

36 posts, read 102,522 times
I've lived in both Denver and SLC. I would choose Denver. Denver mountains are different than SLC mountains. Tornadoes aren't a regular occurence in Denver. Please dont think Denver is Kansas or Nebraska like. Dont let tornadoes ruin Denver as an option.

Denver is very family friendly with many fun things to do. They have a good zoo, aquarium, and a few theme parks. Not to mention you dont need to worry about the religion topic always brought up on this forum (if non lds).

Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,768 times
Denver is definitely a bigger more robust place, with more events, venues, etc. Salt Lake is a bit more safer, sober, and family and religion-oriented. Both have similar geographies and seasons, as well as the 'western' feel to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City