U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 02:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,949,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA310 View Post
I'm LOL'ing @ people trying to compare HOUSTON to Paris. Paris has it's rough areas like any other city, but they are very far from the city.
In other words, away from the tourist areas including near where a lot of people who aren't millionaires actually have to live.

BTW, the only reason Houston started getting compared to Paris was because I said I didn't care for Paris, someone got offended I had an opinion and felt the need to look up where I lived so they could trash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA310 View Post
Houston is just ugly all over.
Memorial is ugly? Downtown is ugly? Museum District is ugly? West U is ugly? Need I go on?
That's simply untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Seriously, that first photograph with all the billboards russianoligarch posted of Houston that got some of you fired up was NOT a bad part. It's actually a good representation of how the main roads of Houston (with all the stripmalls, billboards). The Paris pictures with the pretty buildings are actually representative of how the main areas of Paris look.
That Houston picture is on FM 1960 zip code 77090 ...
LOL, not the bad part? You must not be too familiar with Houston. Just go on the Houston forum and you can read all about FM 1960 and the Bammel/Westfield area / Spring ISD and how it's gone way downhill... many saying it's becoming an extension of Greenspoint a.k.a. Gunspoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustfundhipster View Post
That is totally incorrect. Paris ghettos are way nicer than American ones.
Really? Even the ones with race riots that had entire blocks burning? How often does that happen in the US?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
In other words, away from the tourist areas including near where a lot of people who aren't millionaires actually have to live.
If you think everyone in Paris proper is anywhere near a millionaire than that explains this entire conversation.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
...yet Switzerland has almost 100% gun ownership and virtually no crime.
Yep... and most people have no idea.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
If you think everyone in Paris proper is anywhere near a millionaire than that explains this entire conversation.
Didn't say that.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,415,533 times
Quote:
Really? Even the ones with race riots that had entire blocks burning? How often does that happen in the US?
Great point! Nothing like that has ever happened in the United States!

Los Angeles
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefRAVn...AP_Riot_LA.jpg

Detroit
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefR_Vn...ure23/1967.jpg

Boston
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefWhV3...test-small.jpg

Riots are an uncommon event (in most places)...to act as if they are apart of day-to-day life is absolutely absurd.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM

9,086 posts, read 14,341,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Great point! Nothing like that has ever happened in the United States!

Los Angeles
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefRAVn...AP_Riot_LA.jpg

Detroit
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefR_Vn...ure23/1967.jpg

Boston
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefWhV3...test-small.jpg

Riots are an uncommon event (in most places)...to act as if they are apart of day-to-day life is absolutely absurd.
So silly.Hell why don't you go back to the 1800's.LOL.How about some thing recent ,say in the last 10 years at least?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,894,374 times
Quote:
Didn't say that.
Well somewhere in the process you mixed up. Because these high crime high poverty areas aren't in the city proper but not everyone who lives in the city is a millionaire either.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM

0 posts, read 1,541,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Got any pics to prove it?If you mean crime,then of course America wins hands down(uhh..., maybe that's loses LOL).I have been to the worst area of town many times here in Atlanta.They are bad,but not nearly the worst this country has to offer.Anyone that says Atlanta's are the worst the U.S. has to offer ,has not traveled much.I have never seen burnt out cars,high rise death traps without electricity and water except in North Philadelphia and Camden,NJ,Chicago,before they tore down Robert Taylor Homes and Cabrini Green,but not in Atlanta.
How would you know what Paris ghettos are like when you've never set foot into the city? Because you saw a picture? How pathetic.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM

9,086 posts, read 14,341,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
How would you know what Paris ghettos are like when you've never set foot into the city? Because you saw a picture? How pathetic.
Actually I have set foot in the city.Who told you I had not?That said,it does not mean that I know every part of the city like the back of my hand.People that live in large cities hardly know the worst parts if its outside of their social class.What is "pathetic" is you.You have yet to say what I said is not true.Yet you still TRY deflect the subject by turning it on me!!Thats REAL PATHETIC.LOL.So sad.Paris is a great city(I prefer London to live).Stop trying to start a fight you can't win.I will be in Lyon and Marseille October.I will then make my way to hang out with friends in Belgium.I travel out of the U.S. at least 4 times a year.I always have even before I was in the Air Force,so move along with you gripes and start it with someone else.

BTW,If you want someone to see your point of view then present something contrary to the others ideas.Not useless diatribes about someones opinion.Have a better day

Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,415,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So silly.Hell why don't you go back to the 1800's.LOL.How about some thing recent ,say in the last 10 years at least?
That's exactly my point though: Riots are not common. When was the last riot in Paris (excluding the 2005 riot)? If it's happening every few weeks, that's one thing, but riots are few and far between...so to say that's a reason an area is "unlivable" then you could list almost any major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City