Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What makes a city "livable"? I'm sure that it is a totally subjective thing.

I'm sure such things as "rapid transit" availability, medical facilities, shopping, proximity to "entertainment" venues, etc., are all figured into this list.

But, to me, these things are completely unimportant.
You don't care about being near places that can heal you if you're injured, places where you can purchase goods, or places where you can have fun? Interesting.

Quote:
To me, important features would be a lack of government control in my day to day life,
What do you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Because there is more to a city than "density", tall buildings, and public transportation?

A lot of CDers places those qualities above all else, but I have news for you. New York City may seem like the ideal city, but it can be a really crappy place to live and I LOVE New York and spent a lot of summers there as a kid.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
CDers are mostly promoting an lifestyle many developers and cities are trying to sell to the people not very successfully at least so far, a superfacial pattern or a layout rather than what you really can get in a city, expecting a day when population is out of control everywhere like India, and oil is out. I don't know why maybe they read more of those stuff and got carried away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Because there is more to a city than "density", tall buildings, and public transportation?

A lot of CDers places those qualities above all else, but I have news for you. New York City may seem like the ideal city, but it can be a really crappy place to live and I LOVE New York and spent a lot of summers there as a kid.

Last edited by fashionguy; 07-28-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Paris? Yuck, sorry. And yes, I've been.
Tokyo? Way too crowded and expensive.
Although there are several others on there I'd agree with.
The list is obviously biased against US cities for some reason.
Reality is biased against US cities.

I think we can all agree that a liveable urban area must have a healthy and highly educated populace, low poverty, low crime, and an aesthetically pleasing built and natural environment. Other considerations are secondary to these.

And on the cost of living front, if anything lists like these only serve to reinforce the tried and true adage that you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 07-28-2009 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
XBC

21 posts, read 51,656 times
This may or may not be biased against American cities.

But its definitely against the 9 to 5 crowd I'd never be able to live in those cities.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
CDers are mostly promoting an lifestyle many developers and cities are trying to sell to the people not very successfully at least so far, a superfacial pattern or a layout rather than what you really can get in a city, expecting a day when population is out of control everywhere like India, and oil is out. I don't know why maybe they read more of those stuff and got carried away.
That's noble, but that's not all you need to have a livable city.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM

37,141 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Some of the cities on the list have fairly reasonable costs-of-living. There are also quite a few cities of the developed world that have comparable or greater costs-of-living that haven't made the list (several of them in the US).

Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 PM

164 posts, read 256,993 times
Last year I believe three American cities were on the list (Honolulu, Minneapolis, and Portland, Oregon). I wonder why the latter two fell off.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Paris? Yuck, sorry. And yes, I've been.
Tokyo? Way too crowded and expensive.
Although there are several others on there I'd agree with.
The list is obviously biased against US cities for some reason.
Paris... Yuck?

Paris is amazing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-29-2009 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
Last year I believe three American cities were on the list (Honolulu, Minneapolis, and Portland, Oregon). I wonder why the latter two fell off.
In 2008 Honolulu = 12, Minneapolis = 19, Portland = 25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City