U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM

11,340 posts, read 18,738,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
Paris... Yuck?

Are you aware of your own disgusting TX surroundings?

Paris is amazing.
Paris doesn't appeal to everyone including me, and I don't find Texas disgusting either, I personally would rather live in Texas than Paris, and I assume he/she would too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You don't care about being near places that can heal you if you're injured, places where you can purchase goods, or places where you can have fun? Interesting.

What do you mean?
Heal me if I am injured? Please. PLEASE. Medical facilities do not heal you. They might stop you from bleeding so you do not bleed to death, but you know what? 100 years ago people knew how to do these things WITHOUT doctors - and such things as setting bones and doing minor surgery too! Amazing isn't it? People being responsible for their OWN health instead of running to a doctor for every little sniffle or runny nose?

As for what I mean when I say I don't want the government involved in my day to day life, I mean such things as having to have a building permit to put a shed or chicken house on your property. Needing to have a permit or license to have a yard sale or sell excess produce from your garden, etc. That kind of thing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,945,454 times
Quote:
Paris, yuck? That may be your opinion, but it's considered to be one of the greatest and most beautiful cities in the world by many people, so I don't know why you're surprised by it being on the list. Tokyo may be crowded and expensive, but the sounds of it, this list was created by Europeans. Most of their major cities are crowded and expensive. They don't share the American dream of having a yard and a picket fence, etc, so those other factors which you listed aren't detrimental in their eyes.
I suppose so.
Yes, I thought Paris was dirty and expensive. Nice place to visit, great attractions, but did nothing else for me.
Tokyo - I don't equate "expensive" or "crowded" with high quality of life. At all. Just my opinion.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Paris... Yuck?
I thought it was dirty, sorry. I got mugged on the gross subway too. No thanks. Great attractions to visit; not so great to live. I'm entitled to an opinion.

Quote:
Are you aware of your own disgusting TX surroundings?
Since you seem to know so well, why don't you inform me?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM

9,086 posts, read 14,335,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Paris doesn't appeal to everyone including me, and I don't find Texas disgusting either, I personally would rather live in Texas than Paris, and I assume he/she would too.
Yeh,why not Paris....Paris,Texas that is.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,410,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Heal me if I am injured? Please. PLEASE. Medical facilities do not heal you. They might stop you from bleeding so you do not bleed to death
Thanks for letting me know that. Just one thing, who should I thank for treating my mother and father after they were each diagnosed with cancer fifteen months apart from one another in the past three years? Because if they weren't cured by doctors, I would definitely like to know who I should thank.

How about my uncle who had a stroke earlier this year, or another uncle who had a brain anuerysm three years ago? Both of them are back to normal now...but I will make sure not to be grateful towards any of the medical facilities which made them not die or suffer severe brain damage. Especially with cases involving strokes and anuerysms, minutes make a huge difference. So excuse me if I don't agree with anything you just said.

Quote:
100 years ago people knew how to do these things WITHOUT doctors - and such things as setting bones and doing minor surgery too! Amazing isn't it? People being responsible for their OWN health instead of running to a doctor for every little sniffle or runny nose?
Yea and 100 years ago the average life expectancy was 47. You can go and drink the bottle of Old Doc Washburn's Revitalizing Tonic that Gran Pappy gave you as much as you'd like, or have cousin Cletus reset a broken bone and birth yer baby. I'd rather deal with someone who has devoted their life to studying human health.

Have fun dealing with polio.

Quote:
As for what I mean when I say I don't want the government involved in my day to day life, I mean such things as having to have a building permit to put a shed or chicken house on your property.
That's totally understandable.

Quote:
Needing to have a permit or license to have a yard sale or sell excess produce from your garden, etc. That kind of thing.

20yrsinBranson
Are those things necessary for those things? If so, I was totally unaware.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,096 times
why isnt miami on the list? there is no place on earth like miami. its paradise here.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,410,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy' View Post
why isnt miami on the list? there is no place on earth like miami. its paradise here.
Miami's quality of life is probably hurt by the horrible crime and horrible poverty. Miami has some amazing qualities, but it also has some very bad qualities too.

I'm sure you love your hometown, but try to look at it from an objective point of view.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
And on the cost of living front, if anything lists like these only serve to reinforce the tried and true adage that you get what you pay for.
True adage? I don't think it's so black-and-white. And I know some people love to use this as a way to validate how much they're paying to live where they do, or whatever, and sometimes there's truth in that but often there's not. For example, with housing: I've been many places where $300-400k will get you something rather dumpy and in an area I found little other redeeming value or attraction. Why the high cost? Probably lack of land on which to build, taxes, higher construction costs, etc. Not because the area was so much more desirable than another. On the other hand, $300-400k will get you pretty sweet digs where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfella View Post
Also note that Monocle is not a magazine that is necessarily concerned about finances. They assume that most people who read it are making a ton of money.
Obviously. When finances, job market and similar are taken into account, the list is quite different. And no snide comments please ... the title of that article was "best places to live, work and play", not "best places live on the cheap but you'll be in a boring ugly dump."

Old 07-28-2009, 10:34 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that. Just one thing, who should I thank for treating my mother and father after they were each diagnosed with cancer fifteen months apart from one another in the past three years? Because if they weren't cured by doctors, I would definitely like to know who I should thank.

How about my uncle who had a stroke earlier this year, or another uncle who had a brain anuerysm three years ago? Both of them are back to normal now...but I will make sure not to be grateful towards any of the medical facilities which made them not die or suffer severe brain damage. Especially with cases involving strokes and anuerysms, minutes make a huge difference. So excuse me if I don't agree with anything you just said.

Yea and 100 years ago the average life expectancy was 47. You can go and drink the bottle of Old Doc Washburn's Revitalizing Tonic that Gran Pappy gave you as much as you'd like, or have cousin Cletus reset a broken bone and birth yer baby. I'd rather deal with someone who has devoted their life to studying human health.

Have fun dealing with polio.

WOW - what drama you have in your life. I guess I am just really, really fortunate that everybody in my family is incredibly healthy and doesn't have to deal with one medical thing after another.

Nobody in my family goes to doctors - they don't need to. So I guess if I had a lot of sick or ailing people around me, I guess I would feel differently about it.

Keeping in mind, of course that over 100,000+ people died because of the medical care they received last year. Just a thought.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City