U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 AM
 
0 posts, read 1,541,924 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
This is not good argument. Everybody knows you are comparing the most gorgeous part of Paris with a nowhere of Houston. I don't necessarily think Houston can be compared to Paris but you need stronger argument than this.
Um, no. The vast majority of Houston looks that awful. And where exactly is the "good part" of Houston?

Isn't Uptown considered the best?:



Let's compare one of the best of Houston to a far flung "ugly" corner of the 18th Arrondissement of Paris:



LOL, what a joke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 AM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,765,953 times
Reputation: 627
Houston:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nielarizpe.jpg

Paris

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/3...e886a6.jpg?v=0

http://www.frenchgardening.com/p/PCdirt.JPG (broken link)

Since this is just a game for you, why not. By the way, I don't find your picture of Houston disturbing. It is just not dense, but very clean and pleasing from that picture. Beautiful flowers. Looks quite livable. Livable doesn't equal high density or complex structures. Many of the cities on the list are not that dense or have very complex classic buildings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
Um, no. The vast majority of Houston looks like that. And where is the "good part" . And that is not the most gorgeous part of Paris.

Uptown? It's certainly the most expensive:



Let's compare it to a far flung "ugly" corner of the 17th Arrondissement of Paris:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 AM
 
Location: New York
11,340 posts, read 18,748,920 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
Um, no. The vast majority of Houston looks that awful. And where exactly is the "good part" of Houston?

Isn't Uptown considered the best?:



Let's compare one of the best of Houston to a far flung "ugly" corner of the 18th Arrondissement of Paris:



LOL, what a joke.
Houston is looking sharp in that picture, its so nice, neat and modern with that glass skyscraper and the stucco strip mall and the grass, Houston is more my style. Paris looks okay too but its too historic looking for my taste.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 AM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,765,953 times
Reputation: 627
I don't see your point. When you see that pile of cigaretts or a pile of garbage, you don't feel uncomfortable? You are just saying Paris is beautiful no matter what, which is more ridiculous.

This thread is about being livable, not about architectural beauty or a dense neighborhood. I don't see you are supporting your argument strongly. To show how unlivable Houston is, maybe a picture of heavy traffic is a good idea. Your pictures just show clean air, good landscaping and a broad view, which are usually livable factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
You are beyond ridiculous. Cigarette butts on a ledge of Tour Eiffel does not take away from the grand beauty of Paris.

And a bag of trash cans? LOL. I am comparing streetscapes and you are showing me a photo of a trash can on the corner of a street in Paris. You are a very desperate person and I am so embarassed for Paris to be compared to some dump like Houston.

Oh and that skyline is so ugly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 AM
 
0 posts, read 1,541,924 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Houston is looking sharp in that picture, its so nice, neat and modern with that glass skyscraper and the stucco strip mall and the grass, Houston is more my style. Paris looks okay too but its too historic looking for my taste.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this and move it along.

Those crisp stucco strip malls and "that glass skyscraper" looks better than the stunning art of Paris. OK.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 AM
 
Location: New York
11,340 posts, read 18,748,920 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this and move it along.

Those crisp stucco strip malls and "that glass skyscraper" looks better than the stunning art of Paris. OK.
I love stucco buildings, even the street lights and the bus stop looks so fresh and modern. You can't deny the fact that Houston is beautiful. Paris is a beautiful city too but its dense and artsy for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 AM
 
0 posts, read 1,541,924 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I don't see your point. When you see that pile of cigaretts or a pile of garbage, you don't feel uncomfortable? You are just saying Paris is beautiful no matter what, which is more ridiculous.

This thread is about being livable, not about architectural beauty or a dense neighborhood. I don't see you are supporting your argument strongly. To show how unlivable Houston is, maybe a picture of heavy traffic is a good idea. Your pictures just show clean air, good landscaping and a broad view, which are usually livable factors.
No, my pictures show hideousness and hurt my eyes.

The cigarette butts on the top of the Eiffel are no doubt left by tourists. Do you think going to the Eiffel is a normal thing for Parisians? Who would see that, anyway? Everyone see's the crappy buildings in Houston, everyone sees and breathes the atrocious air, everyone see's all those terrible billboards and exposed power lines flung throughout the city on a massive scale.

There is nothing livable about residing in a sewer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:45 AM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,765,953 times
Reputation: 627
OK so the garbage left on the street is also left by tourists heh? It is funny how cities like to blame tourists. Actually most tourists who can afford to travel are well off and hardly have any interest in polluting the city. It is usually the homeless people and various street strollers in a city as big as Paris who do the polluting job. And, no matter how those dirty stuff got there, they are there and the result is what you get, no matter how noble the reason can be. The reasons like, Paris is such a large city there is bound to be garbage, etc.. are nonsense. Garbage is garbage. You live with it everyday. Why should I care about the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
No, my pictures show hideousness and hurt my eyes.

The cigarette butts on the top of the Eiffel are no doubt left by tourists. Do you think going to the Eiffel is a normal thing for Parisians? Who would see that, anyway? Everyone see's the crappy buildings in Houston, everyone sees and breathes the atrocious air, everyone see's all those terrible billboards and exposed power lines flung throughout the city on a massive scale.

There is nothing livable about residing in a sewer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 AM
 
0 posts, read 1,541,924 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
OK so the garbage left on the street is also left by tourists heh? It is funny how cities like to blame tourists. Actually most tourists who can afford to travel are well off and hardly have any interest in polluting the city. It is usually the homeless people and various street strollers in a city as big as Paris who do the polluting job. And, no matter how those dirty stuff got there, they are there and the result is what you get, no matter how noble the reason can be. The reasons like, Paris is such a large city there is bound to be garbage, etc.. are nonsense. Garbage is garbage. You live with it everyday. Why should I care about the reason?
There is hardly any garbage in Paris. I would rather see a random overflown garbage can than poison my lungs with the toxic air or deal with the architectural abortions lining the cracked, polluted car clogged asphalt of Houston.

The real Eiffel Tower:



Ironically, that photo of the cigarette buds looks nicer than anything I've ever seen in Houston. There will never be anything in Houston that has 1% of the beauty of Eiffel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 AM
 
Location: New York
11,340 posts, read 18,748,920 times
Reputation: 6165
^^^

That is a beautiful picture, that blue looks stunning on the Eiffel Tower.

Houston is still my city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top