U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:57 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,768,481 times

Advertisements

Yeah you are just obsessed. I know. Nice picture. But there is no such thing as real Eiffel or fake Eiffel. There is only one and the picture I showed is the same one as this one you are showing. It is nice looking from the street especially during night but it is actually filthy up there. Many things in real life work that way, with a good superficial appearance but rotten inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
Ironically, that photo of the cigarette buds looks nicer than anything I've ever seen in Houston. There will never be anything in Houston that has 1% of the beauty of Eiffel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 02:01 AM

0 posts, read 1,544,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Yeah you are just obsessed. I know. Nice picture. But there is no such thing as real Eiffel or fake Eiffel. There is only one and the picture I showed is the same one as this.
I'm pretty sure the underbelly of my Mercedes is dirty but it's still a beautiful and clean car.

I don't care about cigarette butts left at the top of the Eiffel by tourists. The only people who will see is Americans like you at the top gawking at the cityscape from above. In America, stucco strip malls are apparently considered beautiful. Poor people. Enjoy the view.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,768,481 times
The only arguments I can get out of you is "I would rather...". This is not convincing at all. I am sure Paris didn't get on to that top 25 list because of Eiffel tower or Place de la Concorde fountain or classic architecture lined up the street. However, this is just what you can talk about. Poor superficial people who care about complex appearance inherited from predecessors more than anything else. I wouldn't say people in Paris are all like you.

Quote:
There is hardly any garbage in Paris. I would rather see a random overflown garbage can than poison my lungs with the toxic air or deal with the architectural abortions lining the cracked, polluted car clogged asphalt of Houston.

The real Eiffel Tower:

Ironically, that photo of the cigarette buds looks nicer than anything I've ever seen in Houston. There will never be anything in Houston that has 1% of the beauty of Eiffel.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,542,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yes, South Auckland is grand luxury...
Casual name drop.

Look everyone, krudmonk knows the socio-economic standing of Auckland neighborhoods!!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,959,283 times
Quote:
[b]

Houston:

Paris:

LOL. OK.

*shakes head *
Please.
You'll have to do a lot better than picking a photo from an ugly road in a bad area from one city and comparing it to a nice photo from the the other city to generalize the two cities. Anyone can do that with anywhere, don't you see?

Moving along now...

Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Since this is just a game for you, why not. By the way, I don't find your picture of Houston disturbing. It is just not dense, but very clean and pleasing from that picture. Beautiful flowers. Looks quite livable. Livable doesn't equal high density or complex structures. Many of the cities on the list are not that dense or have very complex classic buildings.
Thank you, but I think we're wasting our time.

His "nice" photo of Houston wasn't even that nice, by the way. It's a strip center along a major road. Uptown is nice but no, it's not the nicest part of town. I have some nicer photos posted here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/6246710-post34.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/7013570-post7.html

He's uneducated on Houston, among other things. Houston ranks in the top 5-7 restaurant cities in the US. I don't feel like wasting anymore time with him, so he can go look that up on Forbes or Wine Spectator or something himself. He can also look up that Houston' performing arts theatre district is 2nd in size only to his beloved NYC, and has world-class museums that often attract overseas exhibits that only hit a handful of US cities. Considering it's just "a podunk city in Texas" I'd say that's pretty good.

Last edited by AK123; 07-30-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You are just saying Paris is beautiful no matter what, which is more ridiculous.
Yes. And to say Paris isn't polluted is an untruth.

Paris Journal; A Breath of Fresh Air? Don't Stroll by the Seine - The New York Times

Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That is a beautiful picture, that blue looks stunning on the Eiffel Tower.
What's ironic is that for anyone who studied architectural history and actually knows what they're talking about, the Eiffel was considered by many to be an eyesore and much too "new" looking when it was first built. Kind of like the structures of newer cities like Houston, Miami, Seattle etc. are today...

Even so, I personally think London has done a better job of mixing the old with the new. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there, unlike Paris.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,898,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
What's ironic is that for anyone who studied architectural history and actually knows what they're talking about, the Eiffel was considered by many to be an eyesore and much too "new" looking when it was first built. Kind of like the structures of newer cities like Houston, Miami, Seattle etc. are today...

Even so, I personally think London has done a better job of mixing the old with the new. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there, unlike Paris.
Few people believe the Eiffel Tower is beautiful. It's just a landmark. Something to be seen for the purpose of being seen. Ordinary Parisiens care about as much about it and have about as much reverence for it as New Yorkers have for the Statue of Liberty.

And it's still ugly. Sorry, ugly doesn't get better with time. Nor does it get better with cool lighting.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Few people believe the Eiffel Tower is beautiful. It's just a landmark. Something to be seen for the purpose of being seen. Ordinary Parisiens care about as much about it and have about as much reverence for it as New Yorkers have for the Statue of Liberty.
I know, but apparently some others think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
And it's still ugly. Sorry, ugly doesn't get better with time. Nor does it get better with cool lighting.
Well, that's a subjective thing isn't it? Personally, I'm neutral on how it looks but think having some sort of interesting landmark is better than having nothing.

I was just pointing it out because the argument was made that Paris was "beautiful" in part for the Eiffel. Among all kinds of related foolish arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City