Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,127,291 times

Advertisements

I agree completely with your post, I too can't believe people from NY are getting so worked up over the fact that we have a good night life. Population doesn't dictate the rankings for every subject IE New York isn't number one in every category just b/c they have so many people. It's okay for a smaller city to say have a better nightlife than a city bigger than it, IE Milwaukee has a better night life than the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It's ok, you're already in a bar, so just drink away dem sorrows bruhdah. Then just head down around Dorchester Ave and find some--ahem--company. It works for me.
Hey!!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,584,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Methodology - Forbes.com

^^ thats the actual list with the coolness, cost of living, job growth, and night life rankings
I'm surprised San Antonio ranked really well on a lot of subjects.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM

358 posts, read 755,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I agree completely with your post, I too can't believe people from NY are getting so worked up over the fact that we have a good night life. Population doesn't dictate the rankings for every subject IE New York isn't number one in every category just b/c they have so many people. It's okay for a smaller city to say have a better nightlife than a city bigger than it, IE Milwaukee has a better night life than the Twin Cities.
And I can't believe people from Milwaukee are getting so smug because of yet another stuped Forbes list!

Seriously? I've been to MKE and it's a fine town, but if you think having a corner bar in every neighborhood, makes for good nightlife then you are wrong. My idea of pulling up on a stool and sitting next to Joe Sixpack and having a beer is not my idea of fun. What about late night dining or a wild night out?

Hate to break it to you, but MKE more Laverne & Shirley, than sexy. The references to Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton were funny. Did they make the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal for being there?

Tone it down, guys and be humble about it (even though EVERYONE knows Forbes lists are the worst of them all)

Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
The rankings aren't all about party time and fun. They are also about the number of other singles in the area and job opportunities. These too are important things to singles.
BTW, Forbes limits itself to a self imposed list of 40 pre-determined cities. This list of "qualifying" cities has changed over time specifically as it relates to how the Census Bureau classifies Metro areas. Changes to Census methodology has punished Metros like Denver by removing Boulder from their stats and eliminates places like Raleigh-Durham, (which typically ranked very high on the list) because the Census Bureau split it into two MSA's.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,127,291 times
Like I said early we have a lot of very upscale lounges, bars, restaurants and boutique shops. And no Paris Hilton didn't make the news up here. We are having a fashion boom in Milwaukee with fashion shows going on nearly every weekend. Smug? have you read your post?

Maybe you don't believe us take the LA times point of view who paints us as the next Seattle.

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/l...type=interests

Here is a pic of a rooftop lounge on Milwaukee.Ave.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Is Paris Hilton supposed to be a good thing? She comes to Miami Beach all the time and none of us could care less.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,930,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
And I can't believe people from Milwaukee are getting so smug because of yet another stuped Forbes list!

Seriously? I've been to MKE and it's a fine town, but if you think having a corner bar in every neighborhood, makes for good nightlife then you are wrong. My idea of pulling up on a stool and sitting next to Joe Sixpack and having a beer is not my idea of fun. What about late night dining or a wild night out?

Hate to break it to you, but MKE more Laverne & Shirley, than sexy. The references to Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton were funny. Did they make the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal for being there?

Tone it down, guys and be humble about it (even though EVERYONE knows Forbes lists are the worst of them all)
I think humble is always good - always. There are some Milwaukee posters who go overboard, but there are posters from every city who go overboard. Forbes lists are common on City Data, and if people agree with them, they are wonderful. If they disagree, they're not. There are posters who post links when it showcases their own city, but bash Forbes lists when it showcases cities other than their own.

I have to respond to your comment about Milwaukee being more LaVerne & Shirley, though. That was rude, stereotypical, and wrong. People like to sound like they know it all, but when you make comments like that, it just shows bias and also shows you don't really about Milwaukee at all. Keep your biases if you must, but if you care to be enlightened, you can read the following article written by a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times.

Harley Davidson Motorcycle Museum in Milwaukee, Wis. - OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/destinations/usa/la-tr-milwaukee6-2008jul06,0,4894748.story - broken link)

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 PM

763 posts, read 1,299,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think humble is always good - always. There are some Milwaukee posters who go overboard, but there are posters from every city who go overboard. Forbes lists are common on City Data, and if people agree with them, they are wonderful. If they disagree, they're not. There are posters who post links when it showcases their own city, but bash Forbes lists when it showcases cities other than their own.

I have to respond to your comment about Milwaukee being more LaVerne & Shirley, though. That was rude, stereotypical, and wrong. People like to sound like they know it all, but when you make comments like that, it just shows bias and also shows you don't really about Milwaukee at all. Keep your biases if you must, but if you care to be enlightened, you can read the following article written by a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times.

Harley Davidson Motorcycle Museum in Milwaukee, Wis. - OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/destinations/usa/la-tr-milwaukee6-2008jul06,0,4894748.story - broken link)
I have to agree with you, I loved Milwaukee's nightlife the times i visited there. I can't say the manhattan clubs are much fun at all.

I thoroughly enjoy a laid back atmosphere with some good people and good music.

Last edited by linicx; 08-04-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Rude Comments

Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,287,578 times
Fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City