Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,323,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
And I can't believe people from Milwaukee are getting so smug because of yet another stuped Forbes list!

Seriously? I've been to MKE and it's a fine town, but if you think having a corner bar in every neighborhood, makes for good nightlife then you are wrong. My idea of pulling up on a stool and sitting next to Joe Sixpack and having a beer is not my idea of fun. What about late night dining or a wild night out?

Hate to break it to you, but MKE more Laverne & Shirley, than sexy. The references to Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton were funny. Did they make the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal for being there?

Tone it down, guys and be humble about it (even though EVERYONE knows Forbes lists are the worst of them all)
No, we're not smug. We just feel compelled to respond to comments like "MKE more Laverne & Shirley, than sexy". Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure the attached pics of the East Side look really Laverne & Shirley...

I'm also sure that these East Side photos resemble some po-dunk, uncultured town...
Attached Thumbnails
America's Best Cities For Singles...2009-mke-lakefront-2.jpg   America's Best Cities For Singles...2009-east-side.jpg   America's Best Cities For Singles...2009-mke-lakefront.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,079,359 times
Quote:
And I can't believe people from Milwaukee are getting so smug because of yet another stuped Forbes list!

Seriously? I've been to MKE and it's a fine town, but if you think having a corner bar in every neighborhood, makes for good nightlife then you are wrong. My idea of pulling up on a stool and sitting next to Joe Sixpack and having a beer is not my idea of fun. What about late night dining or a wild night out?
What about it? Milwaukee has quite a few cocktail lounges and nightclubs that offer more than just tap beer and rail shots. Milwaukee attracts some of the top DJs in the world. Electronic music never went out of fashion here. Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general have been major players in the rave scene since it started. Back in the 90's, Daft Punk played their first ever North American show at a rave in the middle of a farmer's field in southeastern Wisconsin.

We also have a ton of late night dining options as well as numerous 24 hour restaurants. In my neighborhood alone there are over 20 choices of places to eat after the bars close. How many cities the size of Milwaukee can say that? Milwaukee's economy is still largely based on manufacturing, and all of the 3rd shift workers need places to grab a drink and some grub while they unwind after a long day's work. Bar close is 2am on weekdays and 2:30am on weekends in Milwaukee and a lot of bars are back open at 5am or 6am for the 3rd shift workers who are just getting done.

OnMilwaukee.com Dining: Milwaukees best late night drunk eats, 2008: Oakland Gyros

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but MKE more Laverne & Shirley, than sexy. The references to Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton were funny. Did they make the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal for being there?

Tone it down, guys and be humble about it (even though EVERYONE knows Forbes lists are the worst of them all)
We are humble, we're just not going to sit there while everyone trashes our city because they're mad that their city didn't rank as high as Milwaukee. Milwaukee is an awesome place to be single.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,899,900 times
Did I see Buffalo at 18? =-/

Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,436 times
I grew up in Milwaukee and live there on and off and man I got to tell you this argument is hilarious. Milwaukee is a great place and there's lots to do in the summer. On a national scale, it's underrated. It really is you people of NYC. But get serious guys. Lets take into account that for 6 months of the year you can't meet girls in less than a sweater, gloves, and snow boots. People get pale, ugly and fat and lots of them don't change that once the sun comes. That's not cool. No. I remember when Milwaukee was ranked the nation's sexiest city. I almost pooped. That's like saying Gary Indiana is the best place to hitchhike. The cheap booze and food is a double-edged sword. You can afford to drink and eat all the time, but I don't think I have to explain why it is you go somewhere else and ask yourself, "why is everyone so pretty here?" Truth is you go to enough places and you realize they're not. That's what people normally look like. I would highly recommend moving somewhere else for a while ad seeing how your opinion changes.

Here's a list of my favorite places so far:

1)Sydney, Australia
2)Austin, TX
3)London, England
4)Vancouver, BC
5)Miami, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City