Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM

115 posts, read 266,714 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by this statement? "most Pittsburgh natives feel ignored when they leave the city and people ignore its problems." Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Most people take the train, not the BUS to Manhattan, besides cost of living is very subjective and it depends on lifestyle, there are plenty of other big cities better than Pittsburgh, most Pittsburgh natives feel ignored when they leave the city and people ignore its problems.

It does not matter if the G-20 summit is taking place there, which by the way was supposed to be in new york city you know Why?

Because its just a one time summit, look Detroit had the super bowl and that didn't do anything long-term for the city, even though that's the reason the g-20 is being held in pitt, it was held in DC , and is being held in Vegas next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrunner79 View Post
My father and many of my friends and family member are of working class in Pittsburgh and make damn good money, own property, real estate and more. Just because you're blue collar doesn't mean you're struggling. I know several people well who are blue collar in Pittsburgh and own anywhere from 5-10+ properties (camps, real estate, etc). In most of the USA, Blue Collar = good work and money.
(Large Coastal cities are excluded)
Plus, I've done office work before, made close to six figures and HATED it with a passion. I love being outside, getting down and dirty, making less, no matter what it is, along as it's not corporate drone/cubicle work!

Not true, but with a caveat, while high paying blue collar jobs exist In Pictures: America's Best-Paying Blue Collar Jobs - 1. Elevator Installers and Repairers - Forbes.com
(a lot of these jobs may require years some vocational or on the job)

It is known that most blue-collar workers especially in the rust belt have been struggling, also working class does not necessarily mean blue collar strictly speaking, it could be cooks, immigrants starting out , etc

Last edited by FlyDrive100b; 08-13-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,857 times
Quote:
What do you mean by this statement? "most Pittsburgh natives feel ignored when they leave the city and people ignore its problems." Thanks.

Maybe its best that you read letters to the editors, and comments, and suggestions from many native-born Pittsburgh people, they left for valid reasons, and feel that people are not talking about the issues, and hyping and ignoring them just like the biased and untrustworthy and silly rankings of newspapers editors, commentators at times.

May I add in most of the US blue collar does not mean good money, there is more wealth on the coasts than in a place like Pittsburgh, if your family owns many places and has wealth, that may be okay, but not everybody is like that, also

its more traditional money than new white collar money.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,474,935 times
Interesting thread.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Why does Pittsburgh have such a vibrant downtown than other cities twice its size?
I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and I don't think Pittsburgh's downtown, or at least most of its downtown excluding some areas near the Allegheny River, is all that vibrant. It looked to me that it was primarily office buildings and there were relatively few people who lived there (downtown being defined as everything west of I-579 between the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, i.e the Golden Triangle).

Full disclosure: I lived in western PA for almost 2 1/2 years and hated it, and I really dislike Pittsburgh. Having said that, when I made my recent trip to Pittsburgh, I spent some time in downtown walking and driving around, paying more attention to what was there than I did when I lived in western PA a decade ago. Though I know downtown Pittsburgh has grown significantly in population based on statistics I've seen, I think the percentage growth is largely a function of not many people living there previously (i.e. there still are relatively few people living there, but there are a lot more than before).

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,776 times
Quote:
MilesBloodAxe - First, your spelling is notorious! Learn how to spell, OK? Second, your boy NoBama isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Last time I checked, people (including myself) were making a TON of money in the stock market while GW was in office. Since Nobama, well, things haven't been so hot. How can you work for a government contractor and support Nobama? He's going to s-c-r-e-w you right out of your job. He's everything that this country WASN'T founded on. He lacks real principle and only wants more handouts for your pathetic kind. All that you do is beg and want freebies in life. Learn how to work, get rid of BET, your all black colleges and lets go from there. If there was an all white college, or an all white network, your POS buddy Rev Sharp would be up in arms claiming "discrimination". When I worked in DC/NoVA, almost all whites in my company (publicly held) detested the blacks. Hardly anyone gave a damn about them and racism is alive and well in DC/NoVA and NYC. Pittsburgh knows what's best for the city - less lazy, sloppy, gang banger thug wannabes!

If this is the general Pittsburgher attitude....the city deserves to fail.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,635,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
If this is the general Pittsburgher attitude....the city deserves to fail.
I could say the same about numerous NYC posters. But as we know, you shouldn't judge a city on one poster

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I could say the same about numerous NYC posters. But as we know, you shouldn't judge a city on one poster
You quote someone from Minnesota but attack New York?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM

I spit the truth and you know it. Just wait until this country collapses due to these FUBR policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post

Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Pittsburgh is a GREAT city. Most people are just jealous of the great sports history in Western PA, the beautiful Golden Triangle, Mt. Washington and the view, friendly neighborhoods and awesome people who know how to have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and I don't think Pittsburgh's downtown, or at least most of its downtown excluding some areas near the Allegheny River, is all that vibrant. It looked to me that it was primarily office buildings and there were relatively few people who lived there (downtown being defined as everything west of I-579 between the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, i.e the Golden Triangle).

Full disclosure: I lived in western PA for almost 2 1/2 years and hated it, and I really dislike Pittsburgh. Having said that, when I made my recent trip to Pittsburgh, I spent some time in downtown walking and driving around, paying more attention to what was there than I did when I lived in western PA a decade ago. Though I know downtown Pittsburgh has grown significantly in population based on statistics I've seen, I think the percentage growth is largely a function of not many people living there previously (i.e. there still are relatively few people living there, but there are a lot more than before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City