Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better: Toronto VS Philadelphia
Toronto 56 66.67%
Philadelphia 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,454,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
just want to show how cool Toronto is

Younge dundas square

comparable to New York

want more go here: Toronto| Yonge Street is Fun Street!!!! - SkyscraperPage Forum

Jack Astors, Hard Rock, Milestones, ugh! One of my least favorite sections of Toronto, the same way I try to stay as far away from Times Square as possible in NYC, generic and filled with disgusting places to eat (even though Times square obviously is a bigger draw) I also have never seen the connection people try to make between Toronto and NYC, as someone who has lived in both cities I really do not see it at all.

Back to the topic, Toronto's skyline imo is the 3rd best in North America so skyline wise Toronto wins this one hands down. If we were talking about street level though I would give it to Philly, which has a much more impressive, larger and better maintained historic housing stock than Toronto.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM

804 posts, read 2,403,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Jack Astors, Hard Rock, Milestones, ugh! One of my least favorite sections of Toronto, the same way I try to stay as far away from Times Square as possible in NYC, generic and filled with disgusting places to eat (even though Times square obviously is a bigger draw) I also have never seen the connection people try to make between Toronto and NYC, as someone who has lived in both cities I really do not see it at all.

Back to the topic, Toronto's skyline imo is the 3rd best in North America so skyline wise Toronto wins this one hands down. If we were talking about street level though I would give it to Philly, which has a much more impressive, larger and better maintained historic housing stock than Toronto.
I was just stating that it looks similar to NY's times square is all. It's a great hangout for hip youngsters in Toronto though.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,309,896 times
i'll go with Toronto for the skyline

but I love philly more at street level

both are great cities to visit

Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
That's not the actual downtown.. you're looking at 3 skylines at once. North York in the center and Etobocoke/Scarborough after them. Once the density hits the residential development north of the downtown.. that's the end of downtown. The other groups of buildings are outer boroughs.
The highrise clusters shown going up Yonge St. North of downtown in that aerial photo are actually Yonge-Eglinton, Yonge-St. Clair, and North York Centre. Etobicoke and Scarborough are not visible, they are well off to the West and East of the Yonge St. corridor. These highrise clusters are the result of transit oriented development, as they are located at major subway stations along the Yonge St. line.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's actually closer than many people here say, IMO. Toronto plainly has the quantity, but apart from the CN Tower, I find TO's skyline to be very boxy boxy boxy (that's not a knock on TO, I love TO. It's a great city, but its tall buildings are boxes). Philadelphia has fewer tall buildings but there's more texture, dimension, etc. to them. A photo of the Philly skyline leaves one saying, "Wow, pretty group of buildings" while a photo of the Toronto skyline leaves one saying "Wow CN Tower! oh and some boxes"

I'm voting Toronto, but IMO this isn't a slam dunk for TO.
I completely agree! I really don't see many buildings that stand out in Toronto besides the CN Tower. I don't get all the hype. Sure it has many buildings but that is not the sole factor in a nice looking skyline IMO. Philadelphia has many beautiful buildings that stand out such as City Hall, Cira Centre, Comcast Center, One and Two Liberty Place, etc.

http://phillyskyline.com/500/green_c...broad_vert.jpg
https://secure.reservexl.net/wwwimg/...urs/6694-2.jpg
http://www.thcphotography.com/photos/philadelphia_skyline_with_comcast_tower_nearing_co mpletion_2_FULL.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 07-19-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM

102 posts, read 118,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The main reason you have to give kudos to Philly over Toronto is the truly organic nature of Philly's Skyline...stretching from one river to another, growing over centuries. Toronto's heading north along Yonge? or is it Dundas? seems contrived by zoning and urban planners.

In fact Pittsburgh blows Toronto out of the water for the same reason.

Let the skyscrapers grow where they should....and don't corral/plan/coordinate them like Toronto, Paris, Dubai....
You have no idea what you're talking about. You don't even know which street they're supposedly concentrated on. Toronto has skyscrapers all over the place: downtown, midtown, North York, High Park, Yonge/Eglinton, Bloor/Islington, SCC, Jane/Finch, Mimico, East York, Don Mills, 404, etc.

It's Philadelphia that concentrates almost all of it's skyscrapers downtown. In Toronto they're spread out throughout the entire city.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
sorry, but toronto is light years above...and i LIVE in philly. for philly, too many big projects have been canned due to city council, NIMBY's or lack of funding. its got great density and i would love to see it built upwards more than anyone. and i agree that street level belongs to philly.

but like people have said, toronto is the 3rd best skyline in north america.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 PM

102 posts, read 118,466 times
It's actually Philadelphia's skyline that is more contrived by zoning and urban planners. Nearly all of Philadelphia's skyscrapers are concentrated in it's downtown, which is only about 2 square miles. In Toronto there are tall buildings spread throughout the entire city - 243 square miles.

And Pittsburgh's skyline blows Toronto's out of the water? That's ridiculous. It's skyscrapers are almost all concentrated in an even smaller area than Philly's.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,867,034 times
This poll seems a bit unfair. One of the skylines could make the top 10 skylines in the world and the other would have a hard time just cracking the top 10 in the U.S.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,573,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
This poll seems a bit unfair. One of the skylines could make the top 10 skylines in the world and the other would have a hard time just cracking the top 10 in the U.S.
Then Houston's sprawled undense skyline must not even be on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City