Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better: Toronto VS Philadelphia
Toronto 56 66.67%
Philadelphia 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I agree with that, its seems difficult to capture a good shot of TOs skyline. The view from the lake is not that big, because you cant see the depth of it. If you take the shot from the lake vs Philly its very close or maybe even leaning Philly, but when you take in the entirety its not that close.
The most flattering shots of Toronto are probably from riverdale.

toronto skyline from riverdale - Google Search

But with the growth of Toronto's 'skyline' its difficult to even capture a line anymore - its like a dense cluster as opposed to a line. As I said though - i'd take density and growth over pretty.. I guess I'm a guy of more substance

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
this is nonsense

toronto by far

you got chicago,toronto,nyc

miami

Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,856 times
Here's a brand new aerial of Toronto, showing downtown and all the way up to North York Centre, as well as much of Scarborough to the East.

Home by cookedphotos, on Flickr

Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Toronto looks amazing. Looks like a mini Manhattan.
Toronto has a freshness that some cities don't. It was just sheer luck that we got the out line of the CN tower...combined with what was once the Dome Stadium...and a few very nice glass office towers _one of which has panes of glass treated in real gold...When the sun hits it- it glows like OZ...The picks of Pilly remind me of the 40s - like something that is frozen in time....The only great view of Toronto ONLY comes when you hope on the ferry out to Center Island and you look back...It's like you are on some exotic mini cruise. It's wonderful _ The water is now clear - the wind is fresh - and once you reach the Island and walk out to the far wind ward side- there is a park that looks like a the garden of a palace...it is world class.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Here's a brand new aerial of Toronto, showing downtown and all the way up to North York Centre, as well as much of Scarborough to the East.

Wow- that looks great- and now if you notice on the left side of the picture is a small airstrip---Porter airline flies large prop driven luxury planes out there...The have just applied to get some "whisper jets - If you are in Chicago or New York - You can fly via Porter - land on the island and be in a hotel in 20 minutes...City council are trying to crush Porters attempts to expand..>Our lefty liberals have always blocked development. What you see here is the Toronto that the conservative banker built- and a damned good job - I must say.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The most flattering shots of Toronto are probably from riverdale.

toronto skyline from riverdale - Google Search

But with the growth of Toronto's 'skyline' its difficult to even capture a line anymore - its like a dense cluster as opposed to a line. As I said though - i'd take density and growth over pretty.. I guess I'm a guy of more substance
You have to admit that the view across Riverdale Park is special. When I walk down Broadview from my daughter's place to mine on Queen- I still find it spell binding...it will always remind me of OZ...I must be losing it but - I might be a bit bitter and lust from the country side - BUT............I love my city...it took me over 40 years to accept her...but she is my girl now.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,715,490 times
Quote:

Excellent pic. The western portion of the Toronto skyline is getting there. A couple of projects in the near future (Frank Gehry's near supertall triple building proposal and the Oxford twin supertall prosposal will help balance the skyline westward (pending approval of course). Also smaller infill, but still tall projects like Theatre Park (under construction) and other projects in the entertainment district will help too.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Excellent pic. The western portion of the Toronto skyline is getting there. A couple of projects in the near future (Frank Gehry's near supertall triple building proposal and the Oxford twin supertall prosposal will help balance the skyline westward (pending approval of course). Also smaller infill, but still tall projects like Theatre Park (under construction) and other projects in the entertainment district will help too.
Not sure if you read this yet.. If this is right Toronto's highrise boom will slow down (which it really has to you can't keep up the pace we have) but it will still be building oodles and is far from crashing or bubble bursting.. I'm hoping the less we build will be taller projects to provide some more 'peaks' in the skyline. We have enough 400-500 ft infill now.

Is GTA’s condo boom too much, too little or just right? | Toronto Star

The latest proposals do indeed show a trend towards less total number but higher generally much taller.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You have to admit that the view across Riverdale Park is special. When I walk down Broadview from my daughter's place to mine on Queen- I still find it spell binding...it will always remind me of OZ...I must be losing it but - I might be a bit bitter and lust from the country side - BUT............I love my city...it took me over 40 years to accept her...but she is my girl now.
Yeah it is a nice spot.. I like to just sit atop the hill on a summer night sometimes and just take it in. Given the number of people doing the same just reinforces that it is a great spot.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
^ Wrong, Toronto's low-rise residential neighbourhoods surrounding the downtown have densities ranging from 20-40,000 people per square mile. Comparing it to Houston and Dallas is so far off, it's laughable. That street you linked to might not look very dense, but there are many others with tightly packed rows of houses throughout the inner city.

The 37 square mile old city of Toronto has an overall density of 20,000 people per sq. mi., which would rank it second after NYC if it were an American city.
Correct there are tightly packed old residential streets that have enjoyed gentrification in the last 30 years..Older buildings - streets in and around the core with large mature trees...as for the wow factor it all started with the building of the two black Toronto Dominion bank towers...They were very impressive when first built- over 50 something stories was considered huge. Now other than massive condo building and I will mention that there is officially a surplus and bargain prices for this type of housing are around the corner.

As for the tightly packed down town streets with older buildings...There seems to be trend where they are increasing density and filling half blocks with low rise condos - There is an attempt to blend into traditional design. Also I heard that developers have stopped buying up property because as I mentioned - they all ready have too much product...a lot of it financed by investors who are not Canadian seeking to profit...but it is getting touchy...The condo boom might not pay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City