Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better: Toronto VS Philadelphia
Toronto 56 66.67%
Philadelphia 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times

Advertisements

my brother's family lives in Toronto

Last edited by john_starks; 08-03-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
You have no idea how much of Toronto's downtown and midtown density is cut off when the picture's being taken from the lake like that..

Tall Building Statistics for Toronto
1,766 existing
254 planned
212 unbuilt
115 under construction
9 demolished

Tall Building Statistics for Philadelphia
325 existing
51 planned
49 demolished
8 unbuilt
5 under construction

Enough said.
Thank you, this proves it beyond any doubt. Philadelphia is simply not in Toronto's league, and it shows.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Thank you, this proves it beyond any doubt. Philadelphia is simply not in Toronto's league, and it shows.
I have been to both cities and do not agree, Philadelphia has an excellent impressive skyline and so does Toronto. No one is saying that Toronto does not have taller building, Philadelphia did not allow buildings taller than the city hall until the 80's, but it still managed to build a striking skyline that is both dense and architechtualy pleasing. But of course some have a vendetta (because of prior polls), so you are entitled to your own opinion.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,631,319 times
I was just in each of these cities in consecutive weeks. Unfortunately, my Philadelphia experience was a drive-thru. I'll tell you though that Philadelphia is extremely impressive coming through the city. It has height, density and quality.

On being on the ground in Toronto, while impressive, my opinion did not change either positively or negatively. It's a very nice skyline; though I would not say great. There are pocket skylines in the surrounding areas which I liked.

I will abstain from voting, but I would call these skylines about equal.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I was just in each of these cities in consecutive weeks. Unfortunately, my Philadelphia experience was a drive-thru. I'll tell you though that Philadelphia is extremely impressive coming through the city. It has height, density and quality.

On being on the ground in Toronto, while impressive, my opinion did not change either positively or negatively. It's a very nice skyline; though I would not say great. There are pocket skylines in the surrounding areas which I liked.

I will abstain from voting, but I would call these skylines about equal.
I felt the same way in my visits to Toronto. Toronto is a great city but you simply do not see architectural marvels like the Philadelphia City Hall in Toronto. However both cities are great examples of what skylines should look like and both are worthy of praise and emulation. I wish more cities in North America would follow the fine examples of these two great cities.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I felt the same way in my visits to Toronto. Toronto is a great city but you simply do not see architectural marvels like the Philadelphia City Hall in Toronto. However both cities are great examples of what skylines should look like and both are worthy of praise and emulation. I wish more cities in North America would follow the fine examples of these two great cities.
You need to look a little more closely on future visits. Toronto has an amazing inventory of beautiful old architectural masterpieces.

Suprised you didn't mention Toronto's old City Hall. It is MUCH nicer in my opinion than Philadelphias. The Provincial buildings in Queens Park and the University of Toronto also are spectacular. Toronto also has never let it's old housing stock rot and decay like Philadelphia did.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-03-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
Come on. Statistics shows the same thing as he said, in terms of number of tall buildings, hence the size of the skyline. There's nothing tricky about numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thats a cheap trick!The above skylines are obviously taken form much different angles, distances and zooms. Torontos photo seem to enhance its skyscraper density while on the other hand the shot of Philly only hits the western half of its downtown and is of an angle that shows none of its density.

Admittedly Toronto may have a bigger downtown district but its much much closer than you would lead to believe. 1/8th? Thats incredulous.

Last edited by fashionguy; 08-03-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
height and density? Obviously looking at numbers, the first two are against Philly compared to Toronto. The only factor you can argue about is quality, which is kinda subjective. people in PA (Philly & Pittsburgh) are so fun when they get defensive. They don't make sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

Old 08-03-2009, 11:04 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Yes, Philly has a great skyline in its own right and I'm not taking anything away from it. But going up against a juggernaut like Toronto just isn't fair. Philly's skyline isn't in Toronto's league, and to say otherwise is about as disingenuous as it gets. It would be like saying that Minneapolis's skyline is in Chicago's league. Both are great skylines, but on two totally different levels. Or otherwise just be honest and admit that you're biased. But objectively, I'm sorry, there's just no comparison.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thats a cheap trick!The above skylines are obviously taken form much different angles, distances and zooms. Torontos photo seem to enhance its skyscraper density while on the other hand the shot of Philly only hits the western half of its downtown and is of an angle that shows none of its density.
A "cheap trick"? Oh come on dude. Like I said, Philly's got some great density. But none of those angles or zooms or whatever can compare to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...own_aerial.JPG

Sorry, it just can't.

Last edited by JMT; 07-19-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City