Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It hurts so bad! Take a pill and relax...NYC's wasn't the first. It's really ok, but the funny part is that you are so insecure about it you continue to bad-mouth the REAL one.

If we've been through, why do YOU keep bringing it up? If you bring it back, expect a response. Duh.
I think that he is OK with NYC not being the first. His point is that the NYC version is a better version because it is more massive and in a more urban setting. Tall buildings themselves don't make a city. Like a stew, all ingredients have to come together just right to make it work. For example, if the Empire State Building was in Little Rock, Arkansas, would it still have the same impact as it does in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,818,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think that he is OK with NYC not being the first. His point is that the NYC version is a better version because it is more massive and in a more urban setting. Tall buildings themselves don't a city. Like a stew, all ingredients have to come together just right to make it work. For example, if the Empire State Building was in Little Rock, Arkansas, would it still have the same impact as it does in NYC?
Get it right, now...he's not okay with it - he can't stand it. The original implication was that NYC invented the skyscraper with the Flatiron. I responded that Atlanta's Flatiron was built 7 years prior and is the same type of steel-frame highrise building. Since then he has spent several pages telling everyone how Atlanta's is surrounded by parking lots and is in a suburban setting - although I have posted photos showing that it is in central Downtown Atlanta and there are no parking lots anywhere near this building.

He just can't take the truth...sorry, but you came late. It's been a ridiculous tangent to the actual topic.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM

173 posts, read 471,433 times
Atlanta:
CNN
World's busiest airport
The Centennial Olympics
CDC
African-American entertainment industry (R&B, Hip hop, movies, television)

NYC
Diversity
Density
Theater
24-hour city
Best public transit

Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think that he is OK with NYC not being the first. His point is that the NYC version is a better version because it is more massive and in a more urban setting. Tall buildings themselves don't make a city. Like a stew, all ingredients have to come together just right to make it work. For example, if the Empire State Building was in Little Rock, Arkansas, would it still have the same impact as it does in NYC?
Pause right there. Go back to what started this discussion, a poster mentioned that the first skyscraper, a flatiron, was born in New York City. (pause) Another poster commented that the first flatiron was actually born in Atlanta. (pause) That's the argument right there. The whole argument centers on the date, there are no other points. I'm the first person in the world to make (and serve) beef stew but I only put carrots, potatoes, and celery in it. You make and serve yours 7 hours after me and you put more stuff in it though. Should I take my completed stew and add more ingredients in it just to match your? It's funny how some people stray away from the point just to bash a place. Sorry mods for getting off topic but a bash fest was trying to emerge.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM

2,599 posts, read 4,662,317 times
Default boredatwork

D.C

GO-GO music
Chicken wings w/ mumbo sauce
Redskins
Crime- former muder Cap
D.C Slang

Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times
^^^ gotta love the go-go

Chicago:

Lake Michigan
Nuclear weapons
Deep dish pizza
Blues
Thompson sub-machine gun ("The Chicago typewriter", "The Chicago piano")

Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,629 times
Detroit:
Automobiles
Ball Park Franks "They plump when you cook them"
Motown Music
Water (the Great Lakes)
Hockey

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Well, I am not from Atlanta, but I just visited on a business trip a couple of months ago. So, I am going to list the five things that Atlanta started/popularized/is synonymous with. 1) Sprawl and Horrible Transit 2) Parking Lots 3)A building named Flatiron that is short of being on the level of another city’s version 4) Maintaining deep southern culture even though it’s a large city, mainly because it’s only 75 miles from Alabama. 5) Ruining hip hop
YouTube - Jermaine Dupri;Ludacris - Welcome To Atlanta
NUmber 5 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!ROTFLMAO

Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,078,146 times
Milwaukee, Wisconsin:

typewriter
spinners
Blue Moon ice cream
outboard motor
answering machine

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,213,451 times
Orlando
Citrus and Cattle
MCO Before It Was an International Airport
Walt Disney World
Resorts Hotels and Palm Trees
The Weather and Beaches Nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City