Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Right. It's POPular. POP culture. Most pop culture and hot trends are both popular and devoid of substance and real culture. Real Housewives of NJ and Jersey Shore are wildly popular at the moment, probably the hottest and most popular "reality" shows; but I wouldn't consider either to be any great contribution from NJ.

Hip-hop is the "Jersey Shore" (show) of music; it's a spectacle, it titillates the common folk with images of low-brow, low class living, and people pay money for it. Big money-makers, huge commercial pop culture successes, but devoid of lasting, significant cultural contribution. And hip-hop is no better or worse this way than rock music or any other pop junk. My favorite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers - I think they're a great rock band who has contributed much to rock music, but I have no delusions that they're such incredibly great contributors to society at large. Mozart, however, did contribute to society at large with regards to music.
Do you know why Hip Hop was created? No. It was created to get the kids off gangs. So Hip Hop has done many things for the community. So Hip Hop has a great substance. Why Rock was created? Just for the sake of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,092,476 times
Atlantic City:

first/largest Boardwalk
Monopoly
Miss America

Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,452,193 times
New York City

Yankees
Hip-Hop origin
Empire State
Fashion
Global City

Oh and birth place of Michael Jordan and 2Pac! (Biggie is already known from here)

Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,129,063 times
San Antonio

The Alamo/ Missions Historical site
Fiesta
Riverwalk
the phrase that every basketball team around the NBA does or has
there own variation...back in 2005 playoff "Go Spurs Go" was born
Military City USA

Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Minneapolis

1. Scotch Tape
2. those old-fashioned, round, gold-colored thermostats on the wall
3. Cheerios
4. The Pillsbury Dough-boy
5. skyways

Old 06-20-2010, 08:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,380,855 times
Pittsburgh

Snap-top beer cans
Twist-top beer bottles
Banana split
Big Mac
Smiley face
Mr. Yuck
Mr. Rogers
Bridges
Heinz ketchup
Artist who painted soup cans

Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
San Diego:
1. Beautiful weather
2. Surfing
3. Anchorman
4. Tijuana/mexican border
5. Comic Con

Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
San Diego:
1. Beautiful weather
2. Surfing
3. Anchorman
4. Tijuana/mexican border
5. Comic Con
Lived in and loved San Diego but I'd have to say I think Hawaii may have a better claim to surfing. One thing that I recall being unique to San Diego was the Over-the-line tournaments at Mission Beach. I'm trying to think of some of the team names, but they escape me at the moment, hmmmm....

Over-the-line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
The tournament has gained a negative stigma above and beyond the debauchery it seems to champion: as the population that began the event continues to age (the tournament began in 1953), it garners increasingly severe critiques from both spectators angered at the adult elements, and those younger tournament goers who find the older participants increasingly out of place. Despite this, the OMBAC expects 52,000 people to attend the event in 2009 over the two July weekends it is held.

YouTube - 2008 Over The Line Tournament - A look from above the event

YouTube - 2008 Over The Line - A few minutes by the scoreboard area

Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Lived in and loved San Diego but I'd have to say I think Hawaii may have a better claim to surfing. One thing that I recall being unique to San Diego was the Over-the-line tournaments at Mission Beach. I'm trying to think of some of the team names, but they escape me at the moment, hmmmm....
That's true and yes Hawaii has surfing too, but a lot of out of staters say "surfing" is what they think of about san diego. Over the line is popular too, but I forgot about it until you mentioned it lol Nice videos by the way

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 06-20-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM

963 posts, read 2,412,527 times
Chapel Hill NC (where I've lived for 11 years):
James, Livingston, Kate and Alex Taylor
weathy-crunchy (see above)
UNC (see above)
"Is Chapel Hill The Next Seattle?" (1993, indie rock, and the answer was...NO)
basketball

Charlotte (my hometown):
banks
NASCAR
more banks
Charlotte Motor Speedway
a few more banks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City