Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRESHTX View Post
Houston has to be important in the nation...i heard that we were the energy capital of the world...is that not enough???
Houston is definitely important in the nation...but whether it's more important than San Francisco, Boston, or Washington DC is definitely debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Houston is definitely important in the nation...but whether it's more important than San Francisco, Boston, or Washington DC is definitely debatable.
Here it is. But in the real world, it's pretty much a given.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Here it is. But in the real world, it's pretty much a given.
If by the "real world", you mean your brain or in your region, then yes it's a given.

I think many Average Joe's would say San Francisco is the most important due to all the high-tech companies there and the fact that everyone has an iPod. Not saying that it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to get a reaction like that.

Also, here's an honest question. The main point of argument for the Houston is their power in energy and oil. These are two of the most profitable industries in the nation. I have heard that's the main reason why Houston is "more economically powerful" than the other cities that have been mentioned. Why wouldn't Houston's GDP be much bigger than cities like Boston, San Francisco, or Washington if they were more economically powerful? Boston, SF, and DC are have larger GDPs than Houston...why is that?

I understand that GDP is by no means the end-all be-all of importance. I just don't understand how a city with a considerably smaller economy can be more "economically important" than larger cities. This is not a flame attempt...just a legit question.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 08-18-2009 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
If by the "real world", you mean your brain or in your region, then yes it's a given.

I think many Average Joe's would say San Francisco is the most important due to all the high-tech companies there and the fact that everyone has an iPod. Not saying that it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to get a reaction like that.

Also, here's an honest question. The main point of argument for the Houston is their power in energy and oil. These are two of the most profitable industries in the nation. I have heard that's the main reason why Houston is "more economically powerful" than the other cities that have been mentioned. Why wouldn't Houston's GDP be much bigger than cities like Boston, San Francisco, or Washington if they were more economically powerful? Boston, SF, and DC are have larger GDPs than Houston...why is that?

I understand that GDP is by no means the end-all be-all of importance. I just don't understand how a city with a considerably smaller economy can be more "economically important" than larger cities. This is not a flame attempt...just a legit question.
Have you ever read Frank Herbert's Dune? "He who controls the spice controls the universe." You can discount the city till the cows come home, but without what we've got here (Not just oil!.. Energy.), the world comes to a complete stop. Not a single industry elsewhere in the world functions independently of Houston's primary industry. Not one.

From starting wars in the Middle East and former Soviet States to toppling unfavorable governments in Africa and South America, most political decisions made the world over were originally ideas discussed in a Houston boardroom. Currently the focus is still fossil fuels, but even as that changes over time, Houston will still retain control over energy as a vague industry concept for the foreseeable future.

That's the gist.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Have you ever read Frank Herbert's Dune? "He who controls the spice controls the universe." You can discount the city till the cows come home, but without what we've got here (Not just oil!.. Energy.), the world comes to a complete stop. Not a single industry elsewhere in the world functions independently of Houston's primary industry. Not one.

From starting wars in the Middle East and former Soviet States to toppling unfavorable governments in Africa and South America, most political decisions made the world over were originally ideas discussed in a Houston boardroom. Currently the focus is still fossil fuels, but even as that changes over time, Houston will still retain control over energy as a vague industry concept for the foreseeable future.

That's the gist.
I understand what you're getting at, and it makes sense. However, I'm the type of person who likes to look at statistics in order to prove points(which is probably why I am in financial services). I don't doubt Houston's power with energy/oil, because I've always thought of it as a powerhouse in that department. However, your neighbors over in Dallas have made the claim that they are actually the ones who hold the boardroom power when it comes to the oil industry (at least some on this forum have made that claim). That's why I wanted to find a statistic that would prove/disprove that Houston is in fact ground zero when it comes to this.

I suppose that's also why I mentioned the GDP of the cities being compared. I figured that if these decisions were in fact being made in Houston, it would generate significant income which would result in a higher GDP for Houston.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
San Francisco or Boston, not Houston.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
I understand what you're getting at, and it makes sense. However, I'm the type of person who likes to look at statistics in order to prove points(which is probably why I am in financial services). I don't doubt Houston's power with energy/oil, because I've always thought of it as a powerhouse in that department. However, your neighbors over in Dallas have made the claim that they are actually the ones who hold the boardroom power when it comes to the oil industry (at least some on this forum have made that claim). That's why I wanted to find a statistic that would prove/disprove that Houston is in fact ground zero when it comes to this.

I suppose that's also why I mentioned the GDP of the cities being compared. I figured that if these decisions were in fact being made in Houston, it would generate significant income which would result in a higher GDP for Houston.
Which is important....Where the actual oil is or where it's company is headquartered?

You can always move headquarters (Houston will be welcoming Exxon Mobil in about 5 years!)

GDP is one thing ,but were home to lots of the US oil, companies are just headquartered elsewhere, that's what stops us form having a big GDP.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
San Francisco or Boston, not Houston.
Of course because Houston is number 4.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Which is important....Where the actual oil is or where it's company is headquartered?

You can always move headquarters (Houston will be welcoming Exxon Mobil in about 5 years!)

GDP is one thing ,but were home to lots of the US oil, companies are just headquartered elsewhere, that's what stops us form having a big GDP.
Like I said before, I suppose I'm just a statistics buff.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, I suppose I'm just a statistics buff.
Well stop being one and expand your horizons.....I kidd lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City