Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Not really, I don't have a vendetta against Seattle, plus those numbers don't really mean much. IMHO it seems that you guys seem to take things to seriously, relax this whole thing is just a play. I don't remember who said that.
Shakespeare.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
I Admit Seattle is cool. But I prefer Atlanta. It really is underated when it comes to it's beauty. Most people overlook it because they think it takes oceans or big rivers to make a city look good. But Atlanta shines without all that.

And trust me the water around Seattle is COLD. At least these waters in Atlanta are a lot warmer.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony20.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony16.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony5.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony13.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony12.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony9.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony8.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony11.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/Paces-325-pool.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/balcony/balcony7.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
I live in Atlanta, and in spite of its shortcomings and drawbacks (Traffic, Corrupt, Inefficient Government, Crime, and did I mention the TRAFFIC?), I'd still pick it over any of the other two.

To me, Seattle is more beautiful than Atlanta or Houston, but Atlanta has beauty in its own right. From the Bradford Pear trees and Dogwoods blooming in the Spring to the changing foliage in the fall (admittedly nowhere near as nice as say, New England in the fall, but still nice) to the rolling Piedmont foothills, Atlanta is not that bad looking of a place. Houston is on a flat coastal plain, and while the water is pretty to look at, it's "blah" to me in comparison. Also, I just don't like the random, thrown together look of many parts of Houston, but the same could be argued for the unending sprawl that is Metro Atlanta. YMMV.

Weather-wise, Atlanta's isn't *that* bad, and this is coming from someone who was raised in San Diego. If I can handle the summers and winters here, just about anyone should. We're not as hot and miserably humid as Houston or Florida in the summer, but we're not shoveling snow either. YES, it can get hot, and YES, a cold snap can come in the wintertime, but overall, it ain't too bad here. I've never lived in or visited Seattle, so I can't tell you about the weather up there. I will say that *sometimes* I like an overcast, cloudy day. Go home and make a big pot of stew and curl up in a blanket. I emphasize *sometimes*, as seeing that day-to-day would make me miserable. When I lived in Florida, there were days that I longed for gloomy, overcast weather, but not too much! But again, YMMV.

Also, from a personal standpoint, Atlanta is better located to me for personal reasons. I have family in Mississippi and DC, so I'm relatively close to them. Yes, Houston is not that far from Mississippi, but I do like the access to the East Coast, Florida, and the nearby mountains relative to Atlanta's location. Houston, like Dallas is in the middle of everything, but in the middle of nowhere at the same time. There is excellent air access to the coasts (about a 3 hr flight to the West, about a 3.5 hr flight to the East Coast cities), and there is great access to Latin America. OTOH, driving-wise, Texas is a HUGE state, so thank God for Southwest Airlines starting there! Houston gets extra cool points for being close to Austin, San Antonio and New Orleans for day trips though. Seattle is waaaaaaay up there in the Northwest corner of the country, so it would be an ordeal for me to get to my family on the other side of the country. I'm pretty sure that culturally, it would be different as well. The Pac NW is different from the Southerness of Atlanta or the hybrid Texan/Southern/Latin influence of Houston. I'd even argue that Houston is more international and cosmopolitan than the mainly Eurasian Seattle or Atlanta, which has it's pockets of internationalism, but still a majority black/white metro.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. They are different (though Houston has more similarities to Atlanta than it would to Seattle), and that's fine. Everything isn't for everyone. I know how hypersensitive some Houstonians get at even the slightest criticism of their fair city. I say let people think what they want, isn't it crowded enough there already? Think how much more popular Houston would be if the city actually had a "hip" or "cooler" reputation. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a low-cost city with great job opportunities, AWESOME Arts scene and a great restaurant scene and there is nothing to be ashamed of in that.

Last edited by grindin; 08-13-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, the difference is that Houston has an inferiority complex.
Houston has pride and based on what we have seen other cities that feel the need to put it down have an inferiority complex. CD attracts a certain type of person generally and does not speak for the majority of people.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Houston has pride and based on what we have seen other cities that feel the need to put it down have an inferiority complex. CD attracts a certain type of person generally and does not speak for the majority of people.

Here you go again...spare our time and not reply back to my posts, thanks.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
Quote:
Here you go again...spare our time and not reply back to my posts, thanks.
When you say something like that, it begs a reply. Why do you insist on trying to start fights on here? It is not even on topic

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I'm not saying one is better than the other. They are different (though Houston has more similarities to Atlanta than it would to Seattle), and that's fine. Everything isn't for everyone. I know how hypersensitive Houstonians get at even the slightest criticism of their fair city. I say let people think what they want, isn't it crowded enough there already? Think how much more popular Houston would be if the city actually had a "hip" or "cooler" reputation. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a low-cost city with great job opportunities, AWESOME Arts scene and a great restaurant scene and there is nothing to be ashamed of in that.
I was fine with your whole thing you threw that in. Also, were obviously popular enough since we rank constantly in the top 5 for the fastest growing area in the country.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
When you say something like that, it begs a reply. Why do you insist on trying to start fights on here? It is not even on topic

No, you're purposely trying to egg people on to start arguments. I can see it right through you. Why don't you just put me on ignore if I bother you that much?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I Admit Seattle is cool. But I prefer Atlanta. It really is underated when it comes to it's beauty. Most people overlook it because they think it takes oceans or big rivers to make a city look good. But Atlanta shines without all that.

And trust me the water around Seattle is COLD. At least these waters in Atlanta are a lot warmer.

We have those in Seattle too...they are swimming pools and most of them are probably heated.

Of course they are warmer...

Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
No, you're purposely trying to egg people on to start arguments. I can see it right through you. Why don't you just put me on ignore if I bother you that much?
You make this forum fun; it's boring when everyone gets along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City