Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's all here. Plenty of black barbershops, salons, restaurants, coffee houses, festivals, churches etc. We even have our own Northwest African American Museum. NAAM: Northwest African American Museum
I understand Seattle has a black community, but nothing comparable to ATL and HOU.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's all here. Plenty of black barbershops, salons, restaurants, coffee houses, festivals, churches etc. We even have our own Northwest African American Museum. NAAM: Northwest African American Museum
That's pretty cool. I see Seattle is a premier city. I must say, outside of C-D Seattle is VASTLY underrated.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,007,982 times
quality of life: Houston>Seattle>Atlanta
attraction: Seattle>Atlanta>Houston
landscape: Seattle>Houston>Atlanta
shopping: Atlanta>Seattle>Housotn
lifestyle: Houston>Seattle>Atlanta
culture: Houston=Atlanta>Seattle

Overall: Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Which of these metro areas would you prefer to live in as far as quality of life, attractions, landscape, shopping, lifestyle, culture,etc

Mod or someone put a poll if you can!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We were going to relocate to Las Vegas, but our salaries would be pitiful there. We make a much better living in NYC metro, even though it's more expensive.

I'm confused, are you saying in NYC they burn the crusts of pizza, and that the seafood smells of diesel?? Where in the world did you eat either of those kinds of foods???
Whooosh. It was a blatant attempt at humor that was apparently too highbrow. I'll stick to fart jokes in the future. Also, you constantly go on about hating Sunbelt cities, decrying their lack of culture and their horrid weather, but you claim to like Las Vegas enough to live there? Seriously?! That's so surreal I now feel like I'm one of Dali's melting clocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm a total foodie, and Seattle definitely has one thing that the other two cities don't...fresh Pacific salmon. Yum.
I agree that's there just something better about getting seafood from the local waters. I won't eat seafood if I'm more than 100 miles from the coast. That said, I won't hesitate to eat cod in Houston or oysters in Seattle. I know that particular seafood isn't likely even coming from the coast that I'm on, but I'll eat it anyhow. I think my mind tricks myself into thinking it's ok - and it usually is. Our modes of transportating goods across the world have gotten incredibly swift and efficient. More realistically, my mind just tricks me when I think the seafood isn't as fresh in Peoria as it is in Natick. In other words, there's no noticeable difference between salmon in Seattle and salmon in Kansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I understand Seattle has a black community, but nothing comparable to ATL and HOU.
But, Seattle's black community has turned out some impressive names, at least in the world of music. Jimi Hendrix was from Seattle, and Quincy Jones and Ray Charles both made their names originally in Seattle. Odd, I heard Quincy Jones this morning on KTSU, your alma mater's radio station, jluke.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Whooosh. It was a blatant attempt at humor that was apparently too highbrow. I'll stick to fart jokes in the future. Also, you constantly go on about hating Sunbelt cities, decrying their lack of culture and their horrid weather, but you claim to like Las Vegas enough to live there? Seriously?! That's so surreal I now feel like I'm one of Dali's melting clocks.

I agree that's there just something better about getting seafood from the local waters. I won't eat seafood if I'm more than 100 miles from the coast. That said, I won't hesitate to eat cod in Houston or oysters in Seattle. I know that particular seafood isn't likely even coming from the coast that I'm on, but I'll eat it anyhow. I think my mind tricks myself into thinking it's ok - and it usually is. Our modes of transportating goods across the world have gotten incredibly swift and efficient. More realistically, my mind just tricks me when I think the seafood isn't as fresh in Peoria as it is in Natick. In other words, there's no noticeable difference between salmon in Seattle and salmon in Kansas.

But, Seattle's black community has turned out some impressive names, at least in the world of music. Jimi Hendrix was from Seattle, and Quincy Jones and Ray Charles both made their names originally in Seattle. Odd, I heard Quincy Jones this morning on KTSU, your alma mater's radio station, jluke.
Good point.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
IMHO, Those people playing volleyball are in dire need of a suntan.
By the way how many weeks does summer lasts in Seattle?? In other words how often can one go to the beach and get suntanned. water-skiing, sailing, and jet skiing are very popular water-sports here in Houston's 5 lakes as well as in nearby Galveston. I wonder how popular they are in Seattle?
Summer in Seattle lasts from late June until late September...long enough if you ask me.

Considering that there are more pleasure craft per person in Seattle than nearly anywhere else in the country I'd say that all of the activities that you mentioned are quite popular. Remember, Seattle is surrounded by water...

Anyhow, to answer the question I prefer Seattle over both Houston, or Atlanta. I've lived in both and was not impressed by either.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,540 times
Quote:

True about Ray Charles and Quincy Jones! Howeverk in both those cases you can trace their early ties and exposure to black culture through their family to Chicago (which probably means some Mississippi influence as well) or to Florida/Georgia in the case of Ray Charles.

Still an impressive list of names to be associated with none the less. Much credit to Seattle for that. I have always liked Seattle. I just couldn't live there for an extended period of time.

Still though, as a whole Seattle's black presence and culture isn't on the level of Houston and Atlanta. That is like comparing Dallas' DART rail to New York City's subway system.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
Also, you constantly go on about hating Sunbelt cities, decrying their lack of culture and their horrid weather, but you claim to like Las Vegas enough to live there? Seriously?! That's so surreal I now feel like I'm one of Dali's melting clocks.
You're not the only one who thought so!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM

804 posts, read 2,401,106 times
Houston<Seattle<Atlanta

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 08-11-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Summer in Seattle lasts from late June until late September...long enough if you ask me.
For me, it boils down to sunshine and warmth. I like Seattle. I really do, but I couldn't live there because I need the bright, beautiful rays of our yellow sun to actually reach my skin in order to remain right in the head. My mind is definitely a slave to weather patterns. Dreary weather leaves me depressed, and I'm less likely to encounter that in Houston or Atlanta than in Seattle. Those photos listed earlier are nice, and they do show a beautiful city being enjoyed by its people, but c'mon... don't try to sell me that as being a regular occasion. In the PNW, when the sun actually shines, everybody and their mothers crawl out of the woodwork just to get a taste of the sun's rays. It's such a rare event up there, nobody misses the opportunity to actually enjoy it when it happens. If Seattle had enjoyable outdoor weather more regularly, it would be just as crowded as Southern California.

This is a more realistic photo of Seattle on an average day:

By the way... OMG, a strip mall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.