U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

15,988 posts, read 31,857,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Whooosh. It was a blatant attempt at humor that was apparently too highbrow. I'll stick to fart jokes in the future. Also, you constantly go on about hating Sunbelt cities, decrying their lack of culture and their horrid weather, but you claim to like Las Vegas enough to live there? Seriously?! That's so surreal I now feel like I'm one of Dali's melting clocks.

I agree that's there just something better about getting seafood from the local waters. I won't eat seafood if I'm more than 100 miles from the coast. That said, I won't hesitate to eat cod in Houston or oysters in Seattle. I know that particular seafood isn't likely even coming from the coast that I'm on, but I'll eat it anyhow. I think my mind tricks myself into thinking it's ok - and it usually is. Our modes of transportating goods across the world have gotten incredibly swift and efficient. More realistically, my mind just tricks me when I think the seafood isn't as fresh in Peoria as it is in Natick. In other words, there's no noticeable difference between salmon in Seattle and salmon in Kansas.

But, Seattle's black community has turned out some impressive names, at least in the world of music. Jimi Hendrix was from Seattle, and Quincy Jones and Ray Charles both made their names originally in Seattle. Odd, I heard Quincy Jones this morning on KTSU, your alma mater's radio station, jluke.
ugh You just reminded me school is right around the corner lol
Rate this post positively

Old 08-11-2009, 12:31 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,507,634 times
Quote:
For me, it boils down to sunshine and warmth. I like Seattle. I really do, but I couldn't live there because I need the bright, beautiful rays of our yellow sun to actually reach my skin in order to remain right in the head. My mind is definitely a slave to weather patterns. Dreary weather leaves me depressed, and I'm less likely to encounter that in Houston or Atlanta than in Seattle. Those photos listed earlier are nice, and they do show a beautiful city being enjoyed by its people, but c'mon... don't try to sell me that as being a regular occasion. In the PNW, when the sun actually shines, everybody and their mothers crawl out of the woodwork just to get a taste of the sun's rays. It's such a rare event up there, nobody misses the opportunity to actually enjoy it when it happens. If Seattle had enjoyable outdoor weather more regularly, it would be just as crowded as Southern California.

This is a more realistic photo of Seattle on an average day:

By the way... OMG, a strip mall!
Are you aware how dry Seattle is during the average summer?

Your photo might be a realistic photo of Seattle from October to April, or May...however it does not in any way represent what Seattle is like between late spring and early fall.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,909,052 times
My husband and i love rain, so if we moved somewhere fairly dry, we would probably be pretty unhappy. We were in Greece for 2 weeks, where it was in the high 90s with not a cloud in the sky. Once we got home, we were desperate for cooler weather and rain. I wouldn't want rain like 5 days a week, but a few days a week is nice to me. That's why i wouldn't be able to handle Atlanta and Houston's weather. Too hot, and Houston is kind of dry along with that.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My husband and i love rain, so if we moved somewhere fairly dry, we would probably be pretty unhappy. We were in Greece for 2 weeks, where it was in the high 90s with not a cloud in the sky. Once we got home, we were desperate for cooler weather and rain. I wouldn't want rain like 5 days a week, but a few days a week is nice to me. That's why i wouldn't be able to handle Atlanta and Houston's weather. Too hot, and Houston is kind of dry along with that.
Houston? Dry? What's your definition of dry?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM

253 posts, read 881,300 times
Quality of Life
Seattle

Attractions
Seattle 1st with Houston and Atlanta tied for 2nd

Landscape
No brainer - Seattle

Shopping
3-way tie for me as all 3 metro's have my brands.

Lifestyle
I like the NW style with outdoor recreation the most but I also enjoy Atlanta's malls so close tie.

Culture
-----

*BONUS*SKYLINE category
Seattle wins skyline contest IMO followed by Houston then Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Which of these metro areas would you prefer to live in as far as quality of life, attractions, landscape, shopping, lifestyle, culture,etc

Mod or someone put a poll if you can!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 PM

492 posts, read 1,049,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Your photo might be a realistic photo of Seattle from October to April, or May...however it does not in any way represent what Seattle is like between late spring and early fall.
That's 8 to 9months of rain (from the realistic photo) that’s just too long to have rain and grey skies for me. I need heat, sun and warm air to get my blood flowing, similar to a lizard.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,199,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Are you aware how dry Seattle is during the average summer?

I realize Seattle is dry in the summer months. In fact, it's drier than Houston, but those beautiful mountains and that geographical position up in the PNW just doesn't allow those spent clouds to float away. Sure it's dry, but it's still cloudy - hence, gloomier. As I said, when the sun does peek out from behind the clouds, the locals don't waste a moment of their possible time to enjoy it, but it's still a rare event. Seeing all those people on the beach or out in the streets in droves is not a realistic example of life in that city. On your average weekend, most people won't be outside enjoying the outdoors.

Quote:
Don't like heat or dryness, but again, Las Vegas is ideal for you? You're a riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

By the way, Houston's in a subtropical climate zone. I think you may be the first person in the history of people saying bizarre crap who has said that Houston's dry.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,909,052 times
Quote:
I realize Seattle is dry in the summer months. In fact, it's drier than Houston, but those beautiful mountains and that geographical position up in the PNW just doesn't allow those spent clouds to float away. Sure it's dry, but it's still cloudy - hence, gloomier. As I said, when the sun does peek out from behind the clouds, the locals don't waste a moment of their possible time to enjoy it, but it's still a rare event. Seeing all those people on the beach or out in the streets in droves is not a realistic example of life in that city. On your average weekend, most people won't be outside enjoying the outdoors.

Don't like heat or dryness, but again, Las Vegas is ideal for you? You're a riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

By the way, Houston's in a subtropical climate zone. I think you may be the first person in the history of people saying bizarre crap who has said that Houston's dry.

It's too dry for my taste.

It's only been within the last year when I realized i probably wouldn't have enjoyed the weather in Las Vegas. As pretty and exciting as the city is, it's too hot and dry for me. The only weather I would really enjoy is here in the northeast or northwest.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM

218 posts, read 511,007 times
I lived in Atlanta for 3 years and know it well.
Certainly NOT Atlanta. It gets too cold and gets too hot.
Crime is terrible...bugs and litter everywhere.
I would live almost anywhere than Atlanta (even Houston).

Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
It's too dry for my taste.

It's only been within the last year when I realized i probably wouldn't have enjoyed the weather in Las Vegas. As pretty and exciting as the city is, it's too hot and dry for me. The only weather I would really enjoy is here in the northeast or northwest.
WTF???

I know your not comparing Houston weather with LV weather, and on top of that Houston is NEVER dry. Also the fact that the city is only 50 ft above sea water and receives up to about 50 inches of rain per year? your lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or