Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
You did not anwer the question. What constitutes bad culture? You should really visit Houston before judging the place. Not trying to be nitpicky or anything, just trying to understand the statement about "bad culture"

Seattle is known as one of the smartest cities, so they're going to have pretty intellectual people, plus a lot of people who are liberal. Those two would be a nice fit for me.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 PM

318 posts, read 950,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Actually, the crowds are typically like that downtown during the day - not just during holiday sales. Someone commented there is 'just more to do in ATL and Houston'...like what? Seattle for me - the other two don't really interest me at all. We can hang out on roof decks and balconies too:

(from my apartment)

I don't find Seattle 'isolated' either - we're a fairly short drive to both Portland and Vancouver BC, both decent sized metros in their own right.
I agree. Again, more speculation and assumptions from Kerrtown. I usually have business in the city every week and crowds are always like that.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta's weather for much of the year lends well to activity on beautiful patios and balconies. That's one of the things I love about Atlanta. It could be nicknamed "land of the Balconies and Patios"
[
We seattleites can sit on our balconies and patios too.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Nice photos. I wanna experience that westcoast life.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
very nice pictures! Atlanta is nicer than what people give it credit for.
Thank you. Someone gave me permission to post those pics but I've seen many others of condo pools and balconies high above street level that would match or better those pictures. Atlanta really has some breathtaking views due to it's multiple skylines and penchant for balconies and patios because of it's nice weather a good part of the year.

Quote:
Yeah, but 9 months out of the year you better have your raincoat.

Quote:
I don't find Seattle 'isolated' either - we're a fairly short drive to both Portland and Vancouver BC, both decent sized metros in their own right.
It's true Seattle is close to Vancouver (A larger Seattle) and Portland ( a mini Seattle) but to get to another major city that is really different you have to travel way down to San Fransisco Bay Area.

From Atlanta traveling that same distance or less can get you to Chicago, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Houston, Saint Louis, Detroit, Miami, etc. etc.

So, compared to Atlanta, Seattle really is isolated.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-12-2009 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
How much time have you spent in Seattle...?

I am a native Seattleite and I can assure you that Seattle is rarely gloomy in the summer... those pictures are a realistic example of life in Seattle during the summer.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject of Seattle, but I've been to the city twice, and both times, the sky was dark and it was raining. It wasn't raining hard, but it was raining. It was that soft misty sort of rain that's so common in the PNW. I do remember the sun coming out one day and everyone literally filling the streets. Everybody was rubbing their eyes like it was the first time they'd been outside and seen the sun in months. It was like the mole people just came up from their subterranean bunkers. If you don't want to take my word for it because my time in your city is far more limited than yours, an actual resident, then fine. But, the numbers don't lie. Seattle only averages 58 sunny days per year. That's just not enough for me, which is what my larger point was in the first place. I still like the city, and I enjoyed myself while there both times, but I couldn't live there. My general temperament needs warm sunny days to remain balanced. I know I'm not the only person whose mental state changes due to shifting weather patterns, and for people like me, cities like Atlanta and Houston are better than Seattle. That's just the way it is.

How Many Sunny Days Do We Get Each Year? | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | News Archive

Last edited by TexasTheKid; 08-12-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject of Seattle, but I've been to the city twice, and both times, the sky was dark and it was raining. It wasn't raining hard, but it was raining. It was that soft misty sort of rain that's so common in the PNW. I do remember the sun coming out one day and everyone literally filling the streets. Everybody was rubbing their eyes like it was the first time they'd been outside and seen the sun in months. It was like the mole people just came up from their subterranean bunkers. If you don't want to take my word for it because my time in your city is far more limited than yours, an actual resident, then fine. But, the numbers don't lie. Seattle only averages 58 sunny days per year. That's just not enough for me, which is what my larger point was in the first place. I still like the city, and I enjoyed myself while there both times, but I couldn't live there. My general temperament needs warm sunny days to remain balanced. I know I'm not the only person whose mental state changes due to shifting weather patterns, and for people like me, cities like Atlanta and Houston are better than Seattle. That's just the way it is.

How Many Sunny Days Do We Get Each Year? | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | News Archive
What time of year were you in Seattle? If it was during the summer and it was raining, you were unlucky enough to have been here during a rare summer rain.

We may average only 58 sunny days, however we also have more than 120 predominately sunny days, which by the way is a bit more sun than I personally like...

Personally I suffer from Reverse SAD...in other words too much sun and heat is very detrimental. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sun...for a while, however too much of it and my mood changes drastically.

When I moved to Houston from Seattle after graduating from college in the summer of 1977 I was absolutely miserable and ready to leave after a year.

I still don't care much for Houston...

Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,865 times
Why is it that most of the Seattle pictures, show people being on a boat or sitting near the beach but not actually IN THE WATER. Is there a problem with ocean water???

Old 08-12-2009, 12:01 PM

318 posts, read 950,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yeah, but 9 months out of the year you better have your raincoat.
Uh... no. More speculative assumptions.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM

119 posts, read 298,617 times
Between Atlanta and Houston. Seattle is just a rainy, depressing city. I like to be able to see the sun and blue sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City