U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,107,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know, I never knew it was hot in Hawaii, and what's wrong with Palm Trees?
I think he was wowing at the irony... how NYC posters don't even realize there are areas of California that aren't tropical and filled with palm trees. And the pure lack of knowledge on any cities in general. I'm not sure why, but people in NYC aren't the most ignorant when it comes to basic knowledge of any city outside their own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,333,340 times
Arizona- Phoenix

California- San Francisco

Florida- Miami

Hawaii- Honolulu

New Jersey- Jersey City or Hoboken

Oregon- Portland

Texas- Dallas

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 AM

11,340 posts, read 18,203,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I think he was wowing at the irony... how NYC posters don't even realize there are areas of California that aren't tropical and filled with palm trees. And the pure lack of knowledge on any cities in general. I'm not sure why, but people in NYC aren't the most ignorant when it comes to basic knowledge of any city outside their own.
I have to agree but its only a handful who act like this, I'm not one of them lol.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 AM

20 posts, read 34,393 times
AZ: Chandler or Tempe.

CA: Sunset Strip, Thousand Oaks/Oxnard (assuming money is no object), Oakland, Daly City, or Riverside.

NJ, FL, and HI: nowhere.

TX: Austin.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 AM

23,116 posts, read 37,675,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know, I never knew it was hot in Hawaii, and what's wrong with Palm Trees?
It's not...most of the hotels don't even have air conditioning in their lobbies. They don't need it.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,503,924 times
Default The majority of these states

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Lake Tahoe and Flagstaff aren't cold enough for you? They're both colder and get more snow than the NY area.
are not know as having 4 Seasons, just because a few small areas has mountains where it does snow. That is why I would rather pick a state, like a NJ, where the entire state does.

Hot is very relative. I don't like anything over 75 degrees and even with that, not for long periods of time.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 AM

14,260 posts, read 24,028,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If there's a Mormon Temple nearby I always try to live close.

Arizona-Mesa

California-Oakland

Florida-Orlando

Hawaii-La'ie

New Jersey-Probably in Ft Lee so I can be near this...

Oregon-Lake Oswego

Texas-Spring
That Oakland photo looks awesome.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 AM

Default I've been to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Northern Ca. Yes, it was nice, but I wouldn't want to live there because even though it's not hot and humid, it still has basically warm weather year round. I like 4 seasons. Yes, I know it snows in the mountains, but why should I have live in those mountains and never go anywhere else around a state just so I don't have to have warm weather? Why didn't the OP list other states where there are 4 seasons in the ENTIRE state?

If he had listed states in New England or the Midwest, I would have picked places.

I suppose living in Florida for 2 years has just gotten to me. I have developed an even more aversion to anything remotely tropical, sun, heat, humidity, and palm trees.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM

28,609 posts, read 27,816,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Northern Ca. Yes, it was nice, but I wouldn't want to live there because even though it's not hot and humid, it still has basically warm weather year round. I like 4 seasons. Yes, I know it snows in the mountains, but why should I have live in those mountains and never go anywhere else around a state just so I don't have to have warm weather? Why didn't the OP list other states where there are 4 seasons in the ENTIRE state?

If he had listed states in New England or the Midwest, I would have picked places.

I suppose living in Florida for 2 years has just gotten to me. I have developed an even more aversion to anything remotely tropical, sun, heat, humidity, and palm trees.
Most of the California outside of the coastal areas have very pronounced seasons, and even the coastal regions have seasonal variations.

How large must you be to take up an entire state? Or is it a kind of neurosis where knowing that somewhere out there, miles away from where you are, there's a place in the same state that doesn't have four seasons?

Anyhow, you are missing the point of this topic completely. The premise is that you have to live in these states--perhaps there really is not a single place in these states you won't like (though most of your reasoning relies on inaccurate stereotypes for an entire state), but the whole conceit is to choose what would be the most bearable if not enjoyable.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Default I didn't want to lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Most of the California outside of the coastal areas have very pronounced seasons, and even the coastal regions have seasonal variations.

How large must you be to take up an entire state? Or is it a kind of neurosis where knowing that somewhere out there, miles away from where you are, there's a place in the same state that doesn't have four seasons?

Anyhow, you are missing the point of this topic completely. The premise is that you have to live in these states--perhaps there really is not a single place in these states you won't like (though most of your reasoning relies on inaccurate stereotypes for an entire state), but the whole conceit is to choose what would be the most bearable if not enjoyable.
or do a word association. I was being honest, but if that is not a good reason, there here goes.

Arizona - Phoenix because my daughter's godmother lives there
California - SF Bay area - ok and the only are I have been to
Florida - Naples only because I already currently live there
Hawaii - Honolullu - word association
NJ - Princeton area
Oregon - Portland - sounds nice
Texas - Austin - was offered a scholarship there

Better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City