U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
12,837 posts, read 20,499,175 times
Reputation: 12580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Strange, that with Texas many people say "only Austin" or "Austin, that's easy" .... while not making similar comments on the cities chosen for other states.
Well...I lived in Texas once and, of all the places I explored, Austin is the only place I thought I could live in. I thought San Antonio was a nice place to visit but I couldn't imagine living there.
BTW, I lived in Houston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,125 posts, read 4,248,838 times
Reputation: 500
cool thread..

Arizona - Scottdale

California - Castro SF

Florida - Ft. Laud or S. Beach

Hawaii - Maui

New Jersey - Cape May or Hoboken

Oregon - Eugene or Portland

Texas - Dallas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
16,642 posts, read 27,411,437 times
Reputation: 10348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
are not know as having 4 Seasons, just because a few small areas has mountains where it does snow. That is why I would rather pick a state, like a NJ, where the entire state does.

Hot is very relative. I don't like anything over 75 degrees and even with that, not for long periods of time.
The OP asked to choose a city or area and not the entire state. Since you have such narrow criteria for what type of climate you want to live in one would think you would choose those areas instead of writing off an entire state. Also realize that in your four season states they still have very warm and humid summers over 75. But in a place like CA you could live in an area that is cold and snowy in winter then in summer travel to the northern coast where the temp never goes above 70 degrees. The average high in Eureka, CA during August is 64 degrees, which is colder than anywhere in your four season states. You say you like 4 seasons but don't like anything over 75, which would be summer weather. So you're basically saying you don't like summer but yet still like all four seasons. What kind of twisted logic is that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,506,685 times
Reputation: 1661
Default I put up with summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The OP asked to choose a city or area and not the entire state. Since you have such narrow criteria for what type of climate you want to live in one would think you would choose those areas instead of writing off an entire state. Also realize that in your four season states they still have very warm and humid summers over 75. But in a place like CA you could live in an area that is cold and snowy in winter then in summer travel to the northern coast where the temp never goes above 70 degrees. The average high in Eureka, CA during August is 64 degrees, which is colder than anywhere in your four season states. You say you like 4 seasons but don't like anything over 75, which would be summer weather. So you're basically saying you don't like summer but yet still like all four seasons. What kind of twisted logic is that?
if it is only for a very short time. Not crazy about Spring too much either. So I should say I like TWO seasons, Fall and Winter. Really everything 50 degrees and UNDER.

What state has 50 degrees and under all year? Alaska?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: In the heights
28,629 posts, read 27,836,258 times
Reputation: 15320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
if it is only for a very short time. Not crazy about Spring too much either. So I should say I like TWO seasons, Fall and Winter. Really everything 50 degrees and UNDER.

What state has 50 degrees and under all year? Alaska?
Yea, Alaska's your only bet and only the northernmost and coastal areas of Alaska. So I guess Barrow is the only city that really meets your requirements. However, you'll find temperature ranges far closer to 50 degrees and under year-round in the western contiguous states than you will in the East.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
 
2,757 posts, read 5,122,013 times
Reputation: 1120
Someone gave me an anonymous rep point with some queries. I'll do my best to answer (respectfully), here goes:

*I have never really found Hawaii appealing, at all. I'd rather hit up the Bahama Islands because it is closer. I have had some relatives spend some weeks in Hawaii island hopping (something I can do in the Bahamas).I have enjoyed the Bahama Islands a lot and if I get tired of that, then, I can always see the rest of the Caribbean. When I think of a Hawaiian vacation, I think of some corny luau, surfing, and visiting a sugar cane farm...That just doesn't interest me.

*I would consider Orlando because I'm there every year visiting some relatives (been like that before I started elementary school and still continues). I would consider Miami because I like the metro area.

*No I'm not foreign and No I'm not from NJ (from ATL).

Basically, I don't feel that I am missing out on anything if I choose the Caribbean Island over the Hawaiian Islands. I respect the Hawaiian's culture but they roast pigs in Cuba too. If someone offered a free or discounted trip to Hawaii, I would take it but I can get a similar feel in the Caribbean. Whoever you are, I hope that explains things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,506,685 times
Reputation: 1661
Default I've had roasted pig in NY (Long Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Someone gave me an anonymous rep point with some queries. I'll do my best to answer (respectfully), here goes:

*I have never really found Hawaii appealing, at all. I'd rather hit up the Bahama Islands because it is closer. I have had some relatives spend some weeks in Hawaii island hopping (something I can do in the Bahamas).I have enjoyed the Bahama Islands a lot and if I get tired of that, then, I can always see the rest of the Caribbean. When I think of a Hawaiian vacation, I think of some corny luau, surfing, and visiting a sugar cane farm...That just doesn't interest me.

*I would consider Orlando because I'm there every year visiting some relatives (been like that before I started elementary school and still continues). I would consider Miami because I like the metro area.

*No I'm not foreign and No I'm not from NJ (from ATL).

Basically, I don't feel that I am missing out on anything if I choose the Caribbean Island over the Hawaiian Islands. I respect the Hawaiian's culture but they roast pigs in Cuba too. If someone offered a free or discounted trip to Hawaii, I would take it but I can get a similar feel in the Caribbean. Whoever you are, I hope that explains things.
Puerto Rican friends who roasted a pig every year for their 4th of July BBQ,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,814 times
Reputation: 10
Hi....I decided to write just because I had to say that the best place I've ever lived (and I used to be an Army Wife so I've been a few places) is
New Brunswick, NJ.
I saw NJ was one the places you listed and I loved it. I'm actually trying to move back now. What I liked most was the fact that it is a equally diverse city (no majority of race there as I can tell). People are friendly. Nice Malls. Nice neighborhoods. Houses and Renting is fair. And it's just big enough. It's not too small (Blink your eye and you could drive right through it) or too big (like New York). The only other place I'd consider on your list is Texas, Austin or Killeen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 AM
 
517 posts, read 1,206,881 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You missed the point of the topic (reading isn't just recognizing words but also comprehending them) and most of your non-answers rely on stereotypes that aren't true.

Arizona has areas high in altitude. Did you know that as you get higher up in altitude the temperature gets colder? And if you go high enough, you can even get snow! That one's a freebie.

California has very few palm trees. The vast majority of the state is too far north or too dry for them unless you really made an effort. Its incredibly diverse topography and north-south alignment means you can get a huge range of temperatures.

Hawaii has snow (look to the Arizona paragraph to see how). It's also not that hot along the coast and lower elevations since its location in the middle of the Pacific keeps it a lot cooler than other places at its latitude.
Umm actually there are tons of Palm Trees in California...where exactly are you looking? I live in Northern California and can't go a few blocks without seeing them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: DC
70 posts, read 190,313 times
Reputation: 79
Arizona- Prescott. I love that town. Would consider Sedona or Flagstaff as well. Not Phoenix.

California- San Clemente (lived there for a year and loved it!), Laguna Beach, the whole central coastal region. Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino, Marin County (married there!) and San Francisco

Florida- Not a fan of Florida. I've only been to Destin and Naples though, so no comment. I am sure there are beautifuk places to live that I haven't seen.

Hawaii- Maui or Kauai (sp?). Didn't love Honolulu.

New Jersey- I suppose Hoboken, since it is near NYC. I have never traveled around NJ, so no comment.

Oregon- The coast of oregon in an old victorian B&B. Beautiful!

Texas- ONLY Austin and the hill country... (yes I lived in Dallas and Houston).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top