Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Kansas City
Milwaukee 96 49.74%
Kansas City 100 51.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Exactly!!! This is the case with SEVERAL cities that have "low densities" on paper. Besides, you don't have to waste your time explaining to us why Kansas City is superior. That much goes without saying.

Keep in mind, there are two types of urbanity. The kind people wish to live in and the kind people don't. Being that Milwaukee is losing its population (and has been doing so since the 1960s), guess which type of urbanity it has?

Name calling now are we? Bless your little heart. I like Milwaukee. Really I do. However, your city is waaaaaaay past its prime. You know it; I know it. So let's just move on.

Like I said, there are two types of urbanity. Your city's is the kind people are leaving. New Urbanism cities are what folks of today seek. It is sad (because I prefer "Old Urbanism") but it is the truth. Milwaukee has progressed a little in the last 5 years, but the city still has lots of urban blight that needs attention.

I stand by my previous statement, Kansas City hands down.
Milwaukee has actually gained population, the crime rate is dropping quickly, and additions to the city are being built everywhere.

Someone posted an article on here from the LA Times in the past year. He came for the opening of the Harley Museum, but ended up writing the article on Milwaukee instead. It became one of his favorite cities.

There's a lot to do now in Milwaukee, especially in the summer. It's not the same city as it was 5 years ago. If you haven't been there recently, I don't really see how you can say you know everything, especially when your facts are wrong. It's also funny how you state that Kansas City is OBVIOUSLY better and wins hands down, yet its losing the poll. I'm not ragging on KC, but if it was that much better as you say, don't you think it would be winning by a lot? Or even a little?

I think Milwaukee is MUCH more urban that Kansas City. This is coming from a guy who lives in DC, one of the most urban cities in the country. It's a Great Lakes city built very similarly to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Exactly!!! This is the case with SEVERAL cities that have "low densities" on paper. Besides, you don't have to waste your time explaining to us why Kansas City is superior. That much goes without saying.

Keep in mind, there are two types of urbanity. The kind people wish to live in and the kind people don't. Being that Milwaukee is losing its population (and has been doing so since the 1960s), guess which type of urbanity it has?

Name calling now are we? Bless your little heart. I like Milwaukee. Really I do. However, your city is waaaaaaay past its prime. You know it; I know it. So let's just move on.

Like I said, there are two types of urbanity. Your city's is the kind people are leaving. New Urbanism cities are what folks of today seek. It is sad (because I prefer "Old Urbanism") but it is the truth. Milwaukee has progressed a little in the last 5 years, but the city still has lots of urban blight that needs attention.

Jackson County, MO, which includes much of the KC urban core, has only seen a 2% increase in population since 2000 with a 6.5% decline in non-farm employment. The job statistics are actually MUCH WORSE compared to Milwaukee County, which is where the urban core of Milwaukee is.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
LOL about winning the poll. Yesterday KC was up by 3 now Milwaukee is up by 2 this obviously shows which city better.. /end sarcasm

I am personally surprised KC is so close. I love KC but I know where as most people especially on here don't. It's already seen in some of the comments. You can tell from other threads. I'm on an iPod so I will add more later.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Milwaukee. Nice town. Very progressive. Tons of colleges and universities for a city it's size. Lake Michigan is awesome and Chicagoland is only 2 hours away.

Kansas City is too "Middle America" for my taste.

And Wisconsin > Missouri.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Ok let me break it down.

First KC unemployment is 8.7%, Milwaukee is 9.8%

According to Wikipedia Milwaukee has had a shrinking population until lately a gain of 1.3%. KC gained 7.8%.

Location wise KC can suck for road trips, no denying that. It straight up sucks. Tho the Ozarks are nice if you like out door stuff. But as it sucks for road trips its great for everything else...

I travel a lot. Why? Cost of living is cheap. You don't have to make a ton to live nice.

KC sucks for public rail, kinda funny since we are the 2nd busiest rail hub in the nation after Chicago.

KC has an interesting history under Pendergast... which is where the first boom of the city began.

I'll post more later don't have the time now. I'm not calling one better then the other, but for the most part I am saying people talkin **** on KC don't have a clue WTF they are talkin about...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:

Your consistent trashing of Milwaukee is bizarre to say the least. You live 900 miles from Milwaukee, why this obsession with beating the place down. I don't get it.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 08-22-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 AM

138 posts, read 511,912 times
Quote:

The City of Milwaukee, in general, may be losing population, (minimal loss at best) but not in the areas of downtown that have exploded over the years in new condo development, and this includes Downtown proper, the East Side, the Third Ward, Brewers Hill, and now the 5th Ward. KC could only wish for the kind of housing development Milwaukee has garnerd. Also, Milwaukee, does not have the kind of decay seen in KC downtown. Milwaukee's streets are so clean you could eat off them, and the general area is one of neat, orderly cleanliness. Our boulevards look like finely manicured gardens. KC does not show anymore progressiveness than Milwaukee either, IMO.

So, MILWAUKEE WINS HANDS DOWN. LOCATION ALONE PROVES THIS...A LAKEFRONT SECOND TO NONE...A NEW STADIUM...MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS, MAJOR LEAGUE ART MUSEUM...HELL...ARTS IN GENERAL...SUMMER OF FESTIVALS...ETHNIC DIVERSITY...EASY FREEWAY ACCESS TO ALL POINTS...AND A SHORT DRIVE TO OUR BIGGEST SUBURB...CHICAGO!

BRING IT ON KC, WE'LL EAT YOU UP AND SPIT YOU OUT!!

All things considered though, I would take BILOXI over either city!

Last edited by 2HHI; 08-22-2009 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Milwaukee- I like the east side, Ozaukee County, and Waukesha lake country. Another advantage of Milwaukee is that it is close to Chicago and on top of Lake Michigan.
waukesha is landlocked being west of MKE and mke isn't at the top of lake michigan

Last edited by Badger; 08-22-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Milwaukee has actually gained population, the crime rate is dropping quickly, and additions to the city are being built everywhere.
not fast enough for the recently beaten-with-a-pipe-mayor
Someone posted an article on here from the LA Times in the past year. He came for the opening of the Harley Museum, but ended up writing the article on Milwaukee instead. It became one of his favorite cities.
is this the same Harley that just laid off over 1,000 workers and who has more manuf. in other states than if does in Wisc.? is this the HD whose bikes have foreign sorced parts and isn't really 100% American?
There's a lot to do now in Milwaukee, especially in the summer. It's not the same city as it was 5 years ago. If you haven't been there recently, I don't really see how you can say you know everything, especially when your facts are wrong. It's also funny how you state that Kansas City is OBVIOUSLY better and wins hands down, yet its losing the poll. I'm not ragging on KC, but if it was that much better as you say, don't you think it would be winning by a lot? Or even a little?
Summerfest is so overrated, walk around , listen to some music and drink overpriced beer. It's mostly just an excuse for people to get drunk. Wisc.'s drinking culture is out of control. There are people with 5,6 7,8 drunk driving convictions that aren't in jail! The laws are so lax.

but you're right , it's not the same city as it was 5 years ago, 5 years ago the sidestreets actually got plowed after snow storms, there wasn't a 25$/year wheel tax, they didn't want to raise the sales tax by 1%, the mayor wasn't getting blugeoned with a pipe, so you're right, different. The one thing that has stayed the same is light rail, MKE is still no further along on that while cities like Little Rock, MPLS, and even San Antonio/Austin move ahead with plans or further development of their lines.
I think Milwaukee is MUCH more urban that Kansas City. This is coming from a guy who lives in DC, one of the most urban cities in the country. It's a Great Lakes city built very similarly to Chicago.
too bad you often can't even swim in it due to the tons of raw sewage being put into it when it rains and the smaller amounts leaking in all the time. They just had a nice article in the Journal Sentinel. Don't eat what fish are left either. And on the other hand, at least one of the over 300 invasive species , the zebra mussles, have made the water a little clearer due to their filtering.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
waukesha isn't landlocked and mke isn't at the top of lake michigan but nice try.
Waukesha is 20 miles or so inland from Lake Michigan. How is it not landlocked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City