Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Kansas City
Milwaukee 96 49.74%
Kansas City 100 51.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,121 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say Milwaukee. Its more dense and vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 PM

31 posts, read 88,885 times
Actually Milwaukee is gaining in population due to all the new high-rise condos and apartments built. It is also getting a new streetcar system and new bus system. Not bad for a city in its decline.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
DH and I did "day trips" to both, recently. For us, HANDS DOWN, Milwaukee. Both have lots of old buildings, that we love, but KC seems to have let theirs go to seed. Same for their waterfront -- one might ask "What waterfront?" We loved KC's art museums that we visited, and the City Market was the best we've seen -- much more REAL than the over-hyped one in Seattle. Still, that's about all we saw that was noteworthy in KC.

Milwaukee's charms were such that before we were there two hours, we were adding it to the "Mayberry" list. In KC by that amount of time, we were wondering what else was on our list to see before leaving.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM

886 posts, read 2,228,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
DH and I did "day trips" to both, recently. For us, HANDS DOWN, Milwaukee. Both have lots of old buildings, that we love, but KC seems to have let theirs go to seed. Same for their waterfront -- one might ask "What waterfront?" We loved KC's art museums that we visited, and the City Market was the best we've seen -- much more REAL than the over-hyped one in Seattle. Still, that's about all we saw that was noteworthy in KC.

Milwaukee's charms were such that before we were there two hours, we were adding it to the "Mayberry" list. In KC by that amount of time, we were wondering what else was on our list to see before leaving.
I'll agree with the "what waterfront" part.... no one cares about the river here...

But the rest... wtf? City Market is nice, the Nelson is nice... but did you not bother to check anything else out? Our downtown has been expanding and still expanding and millions have been put into it... let it go to seed? I'm trying to figure out where you were to even think that...

Did you go to Midtown? The plaza? The WW1 Museum and Liberty Memorial? I live in KC and don't have the time on the weekend to do everything there is to do here...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,467,639 times
I should be the judge and jury on this. I am from Milwaukee orginally lived there 16 years and have lived in KC for 6 years now. I love both cities but i feel like KC has more history and better architecture on its side.
My vote is KC

Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 PM

201 posts, read 470,591 times
Milwaukee, because this city sucks quite frankly.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM

11 posts, read 12,214 times
I like KC better, I think it's prettier and is more hilly than milwaukee. KC has the look of an east coast city.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:52 PM

639 posts, read 768,355 times
The lake in Milwaukee is beautiful, but KC is lovely and has more to do culturally I think.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 AM

4,543 posts, read 5,119,631 times
I'm shocked by this poll. I would have said Milwaukee in a walk. KC has some nice museums and Country Club Plaza, the oldest suburban shopping center in the country, which is awesome. But it doesn't have anything close to Milwaukee's beautiful, vibrant lake front (lower East Side) and downtown riverfront neighborhoods. It also just doesn't seem to be a major city on the level of Milwaukee -- St. Louis, yes, not Kansas City -- that said, I know KC has some very nice areas to live very well and on a reasonable budget. Still, I'll easily vote Milwaukee on this one ... Just my take.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
It also just doesn't seem to be a major city on the level of Milwaukee.
I actually think it's the other way around. KC is not in the shadow of Chicago and so it seems like KC has a bit more going on. While Milwaukee has a more dense urban core, KC has a larger metropolitan area and while Milwaukee has a solid urban university scene, KC has a major university and college town attached to it at the hip.

They are pretty similar in most comparisons. I really like Milwaukee, but I certainly don't find it to be more of a major city than KC.

I would say they are about the same, both are a below St Louis.

GDP
Kansas City $94,163,000,000 (population)2,035,334,000
Milwaukee $75,263,000,000 (population)1,633,428,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City