Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,429,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's a visual barrier. Think how much nicer it would be if it wasn't there. The beach would feel connected and considered part of the park.
There's a number of roads through Golden Gate Park, the "highway" isn't much more of a issue than the other roads, and it's not like its visible to most visitors. People who walk though the length of the park just go along JFK drive on the path on the side and barely notice the highway except for a brief underpass. The reason the end near the beach doesn't feel as connected to the rest is just due to large size of the park, but it's a beautiful area and quieter than the area around the museum.

Besides, Stanley Park basically has a highway going through the middle of it as well and it's not that big a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
WOW, never heard of Golden Gate Park, you gotta get out of Jersey. GGP is larger than Central Park, equally stunning, great amenities , museums, gardens, sports facilities, and is in the middle of the 2nd densest city in America. And it's 60-75 degrees everyday!
Nope, and I do. I don't think it's surprising that someone from the East Coast hasn't heard of Golden Gate Park. If I ask around, I'd bet a lot of people I know also have never heard of it. The bridge, sure, but not the park.

60-75 every day? No thanks. It does look gorgeous, though.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nope, and I do. I don't think it's surprising that someone from the East Coast hasn't heard of Golden Gate Park. If I ask around, I'd bet a lot of people I know also have never heard of it. The bridge, sure, but not the park.

I know it, that weather gets hard to take....

Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I know it, that weather gets hard to take....
Seriously, it would bore me. I need a change. Believe it or not, some people actually like having four seasons and really couldn't imagine living somewhere that's always the same. I also couldn't imagine living through a Christmas without it being cold or even snowing, or a Thanksgiving without that crisp fall air and the fall atmosphere. It's what I'm used to.

I think one reason GGP is less known is because it's not as out there in entertainment. I don't recall ever seeing a movie with Golden Gate Park in it, even shown aerial in movies or shows as a shot over the city/area. Central Park is frequently shown in movies and TV.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's a number of roads through Golden Gate Park, the "highway" isn't much more of a issue than the other roads, and it's not like its visible to most visitors. People who walk though the length of the park just go along JFK drive on the path on the side and barely notice the highway except for a brief underpass. The reason the end near the beach doesn't feel as connected to the rest is just due to large size of the park, but it's a beautiful area and quieter than the area around the museum.

Besides, Stanley Park basically has a highway going through the middle of it as well and it's not that big a deal.
In comparing Central and GG park on the design aspects I still think it would be a huge bonus to GG park not to have the " highway "on it's western end, only because of the beach. If the beach weren't there it wouldn't matter.

The causeway in Stanley Park to me is a big deal. It cuts the park in two for the most part, and has ruined the peace of the trails nearby. It's actually worse than the " highway " at the end of GG because it bisects the park.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
In comparing Central and GG park on the design aspects I still think it would be a huge bonus to GG park not to have the " highway "on it's western end, only because of the beach. If the beach weren't there it wouldn't matter.

The causeway in Stanley Park to me is a big deal. It cuts the park in two for the most part, and has ruined the peace of the trails nearby. It's actually worse than the " highway " at the end of GG because it bisects the park.

Yeah, never good to have a major road bisect a park or downtown. In this case the road is not intimidating and is very easy to cross.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 AM

443 posts, read 872,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

GGP is not as famous as Central Park (probably no urban park in the world is), but I'd still argue it's one of the two or three most famous urban parks in the country. You do (or at least did) hear about it in the media fairly often in the context of the 1960s Haight-Ashbury scene. The Park is adjacent to the epicenter of that scene and there were a lot of free concerts by well known musicians like the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, etc. Also lots of gatherings, protests, etc.

These days it's the site of one of the best outdoor music festivals in the country (Outside Lands) and has plenty of other activities and events year-round. Also, Hippie Hill will always be pretty iconic.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How about going under?
Probably not very feasible right next to the ocean.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
GGP has a nude beach right? Or maybe it was just the people on the beach that day when I visited LOL.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,429,426 times
Quote:

Sorry, I read that too quick initially. The Great Highway on the beach isn't that big a deal either though-it's a short hop across it to the beach--it's kind of a neccesity for the west end of San Francisco to have a road going through. It'd be nice if the park extended right out to the beach, but there's other reasons as well why that might not be that great an idea(including big storms hitting Ocean Beach and so on).

Both Stanley Park and Golden Gate Park do have a lot of car traffic in parts that's sort of annoying--but more so if you're driving yourself. Walking to either park if one takes a route into the interior of the park you might not even notice it that much--or walking around the edges of Stanley Park along the seawall. Central Park has some fairly busy routes through the middle of the park as well though not as wide of roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City