Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better?
Dallas-Fort Worth 109 47.81%
Minn-St Paul 119 52.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:16 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,095,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Even though the Dallas - Fort Worth metro is over twice the size of the Minneapolis - St. Paul area, it's pretty underwhelming. Going with MSP on this one.
I think I know what you mean. DFW as a whole is a homogeneous, suburban wasteland. Way too many consumers, not many "creators." For the 4th largest MSA, it really punches below its weight for creative culture (e.g. music, technology, food, fashion trends, art, etc). There is no Dallas sound, Dallas style BBQ, or Dallas School of... I'm not saying these things are non-existent in Dallas. The music and art scenes are fairly vibrant here. We do have a rich history of music that has been swept under the rug. But Dallas and DFW as a whole has failed miserably at promoting its own authentic, creative cultural scene to the general public. Fort Worth may be an exception to this, but I'm willing to bet most people outside of Texas know little about it. Dallas needs to start shining the light on places like Deep Ellum as opposed to bragging about having more shopping malls and restaurants per capita. Just my $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:46 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There is no Dallas sound

Old 08-17-2016, 02:42 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Quote:
There is no Dallas sound,

Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Whoever says there is no Dallas sound doesn't know squat about Metal or Rock.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Whoever says there is no Dallas sound doesn't know squat about Metal or Rock.
I know there's a vibrant Metal and Rock scene here. But I don't think it's as well known nationwide.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I know there's a vibrant Metal and Rock scene here. But I don't think it's as well known nationwide.
The metal scene is definitely known nationwide (among metal heads anyway), maybe not so much the rock scene any more.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
(among metal heads anyway)
And that's the key statement right there. It's niche specific and not well known to those outside the metal scene. Most people know the following:

*Sunset Strip (LA) -- Hair metal
*Seattle -- Grunge
*Liverpool -- Beatles & British Invasion
*Memphis -- Blues & Rock

*Dallas?? Well some know about the history of Deep Ellum, but I would say those are in the minority. It seems that Dallas suffers from 2 stereotypes -- those from within Texas and those outside of Texas. In Texas, Dallas is viewed as the flashy, pretentious, image conscious city with no soul. Outside of Texas, it's viewed as country western with lots of cowboys, rodeos, and rich oilmen.

I'm hoping Dallas can put itself on the map for something other than "most shopping malls per capita." I do love living here and I would consider myself a booster, but let's be honest here -- a good chunk of people living even in DFW are clueless about the music, art, and food scenes here. They live in their own little bubble whether that be in a Plano subdivision or Uptown "resort" style apartment.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,967,809 times
Dallas Sound? There have been some solid musicians / bands who have come from the Dallas area, but the Dallas Sound thing is new to me. I knew of the Minneapolis Sound while growing up out west as did most of the country thanks to MTV. I probably would have never known about Minneapolis had it not been for it's music scene in the 80s and 90s.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Dallas Sound? There have been some solid musicians / bands who have come from the Dallas area, but the Dallas Sound thing is new to me. I knew of the Minneapolis Sound while growing up out west as did most of the country thanks to MTV. I probably would have never known about Minneapolis had it not been for it's music scene in the 80s and 90s.
Minneapolis has a sound? Outside Prince, what is it?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,967,809 times
Quote:
Minneapolis has a sound? Outside Prince, what is it?
Are you serious? I'm assuming you are younger than me. The Minneapolis Sound dominated late 70s and 80s music. Prince was credited with being the mastermind and rightfully so as he influenced, created, and / or help launch several musicians / bands that were from Minneapolis at that time, including the Time, Lipps Inc., the Jets, Natural Selection, Alexander O'Neal, Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, Ta Mara & the Seen, Mazarati, The Family, and others -- all that solidified the scene. National acts like Sheila E, Janet Jackson, Ready for the World, and The Human League were also part of the Minneapolis Sound.

The Minneapolis scene during the 80s and 90s was more than Prince though. Bands, including the Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, Mint Condition, Information Society, the Jayhawks, Golden Smog, Next, the Cows, Semisonic, the Suburbs, Babes in Toyland, Halo of Flies, etc... were all national acts and all came out of either Minneapolis or St. Paul. Also, the fact that there were several national acts recording at TC area studios, including Paisley Park Studios, Pachyderm Studio, Sound 80, and Flyte Time Studios solidified Minneapolis as a top music hub.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-18-2016 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City