Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times

Advertisements

you could say that Nashville has been the big influence for many decades

as for the 2000's, nothing comes to mind, its just mostly bland music from everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:38 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Oh, I agree about Detroit overall (although you didn't even mention Iggy & the Stooges). But per decade there were scenes and movements in particular cities that went mainstream, and even though Detroit is owed its due for foundations the city hasn't had anything like a Motown in a while.

As for the blandness of the '00s, I dunno. I think it has to do with the fracturing of media by cable and the internet. There's no radio anymore the way I knew it! No common well to dip from! And shiny new technology and information at our fingertips has introduced sensory overload and experimentation with form, while at the same time kids are looking backwards way too much with all the retro business. Things are really unfocused.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:47 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Oh, I agree about Detroit overall (although you didn't even mention Iggy & the Stooges). But per decade there were scenes and movements in particular cities that went mainstream, and even though Detroit is owed its due for foundations the city hasn't had anything like a Motown in a while.

As for the blandness of the '00s, I dunno. I think it has to do with the fracturing of media by cable and the internet. There's no radio anymore the way I knew it! No common well to dip from! And shiny new technology and information at our fingertips has introduced sensory overload and experimentation with form, while at the same time kids are looking backwards way too much with all the retro business. Things are really unfocused.
I agree, retro is the new style nowadays. It's strange really. I'm just waiting for somebody to pick up where Kurt Cobain, Michael Jackson, Tupac, and Biggie, left off.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:

Where are the Marvin Gayes, Luther Vandross, Tina Turners, Aretha Franklins, Gladys Knights, Isley Brothers, the Temptations of the World. The new school lack talent its more about being a sex symbol today.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 AM

593 posts, read 1,762,297 times
Brilliant point overall.

I would put Detroit in the top 6 overall, not considering decades.

For me, the top 6 are:

NYC
LA
SF Bay Area
Detroit
Mississippi (you cant understated the importance of the Delta Blues)
Seattle (Grunge and Jimi Hendrix alone puts it there)

No need to explain the first 4!

Quote:

Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
eh, Nashville, New Orleans, and Chicago rank as high up there as most of that list (though NYC is definitely the top)

Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree, retro is the new style nowadays. It's strange really. I'm just waiting for somebody to pick up where Kurt Cobain, Michael Jackson, Tupac, and Biggie, left off.
I have to wonder about the adolescent tension between the gloomy and fluffy. Remember in the '90s there was also the tendency to rework friendly comics into dark fantasies. The modern primitive movement got big. Grunge.

Then it seems a lot of pop culture was bent on infantilization. Everything was being made...younger. It was like this big celebration of childhood and children. I remember catching some reworked Saturday morning cartoon characters, already aimed at preteens, that I was kind of amazed to see were made younger yet, as though it were dangerous for kids to relate to older people, even teenagers. Weird! We scare ourselves too much. I think we worry too much as a culture, and easily retreat.

ETA: Oh, to get back on topic, I guess that's what led to the Orlando business and The Virgin Britney. Poor girl got caught in the pendulum's swing as we anticipated her deflowering. And she accommodated us thinking she was in control. Poor stupid manufactured Disney girl. Now it looks like the public wants teenagers, but with some sense of impending adulthood about them. Sensitive singer-songwriter boys especially.

Last edited by Bunjee; 08-27-2009 at 02:15 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I have to wonder about the adolescent tension between the gloomy and fluffy. Remember in the '90s there was also the tendency to rework friendly comics into dark fantasies. The modern primitive movement got big. Grunge.

Then it seems a lot of pop culture was bent on infantilization. Everything was being made...younger. It was like this big celebration of childhood and children. I remember catching some reworked Saturday morning cartoon characters, already aimed at preteens, that I was kind of amazed to see were made younger yet, as though it were dangerous for kids to relate to older people, even teenagers. Weird! We scare ourselves too much. I think we worry too much as a culture, and easily retreat.

ETA: Oh, to get back on topic, I guess that's what led to the Orlando business and The Virgin Britney. Poor girl got caught in the pendulum's swing as we anticipated her deflowering. And she accommodated us thinking she was in control. Poor stupid manufactured Disney girl. Now it looks like the public wants teenagers, but with some sense of impending adulthood about them. Sensitive singer-songwriter boys especially.
Haha, EXACTLY. Your post is basically what I was talking about. Everything is targeted towards a MUCH MUCH younger crowd. Younger then that of teenagers. It's funny because I was watching MTV the other day, and I saw some NEW kid, who apparently was founded by pop star Usher, he was no older the 13, in the music video around girls his age, they ALL seemed to be in middle school, and they were throwing some house party. He's freakin 13!!! And there is PLENTY of whiny boys, and they ALL sound the same. It's funny again, I was watching BET the other they and I heard someone singing that sounded JUST LIKE pop-star NE-YO, and nope it was some BRAND NEW whiny voice pop star. I just don't know where music is going now days. SOMEBODY has to takeover and say FOLLOW ME, I know where I'm going. Do you?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 AM

246 posts, read 759,021 times
Wait, you actually saw a music video on MTV?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Haha, EXACTLY. Your post is basically what I was talking about. Everything is targeted towards a MUCH MUCH younger crowd. Younger then that of teenagers. It's funny because I was watching MTV the other day, and I saw some NEW kid, who apparently was founded by pop star Usher, he was no older the 13, in the music video around girls his age, they ALL seemed to be in middle school, and they were throwing some house party. He's freakin 13!!! And there is PLENTY of whiny boys, and they ALL sound the same. It's funny again, I was watching BET the other they and I heard someone singing that sounded JUST LIKE pop-star NE-YO, and nope it was some BRAND NEW whiny voice pop star. I just don't know where music is going now days. SOMEBODY has to takeover and say FOLLOW ME, I know where I'm going. Do you?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Wait, you actually saw a music video on MTV?!?!
Surprisingly they still show them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City