Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
I just wanted to clear up somethings with NYC in decades

Decades before

Sammy Davis Jr, Duke Ellington, Oscar Hammerstein II, Frankie Lymon, Frank Sinatra,

1970s= Art Garfunkel, Billy Joel, New York Dolls, Barry Manilow, The Ramones, The Velvet Underground(1960s), Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand(1960s), Bob Dylan (1960s), Ella Fitzgerald(1960s), John Lennon, Frank Sinatra, Patti Smith,

1980s=Art Garfunkel, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, Barry Manilow, The Ramones, Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand(1960s), Luther Vandross, Bob Dylan (1960s), Ella Fitzgerald(1960s), Madonna

1990s= Aaliyah, P Diddy, Jay Z, Nas, Lenny Kravitz, Cyndi Lauper, Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand(1960s), Luther Vandross, BIG, Venessa Williams, Mariah Carey, Bob Dylan (1960s), Ricky Martin, Madonna

2000s= Aliyah, Christina Aguilera, Diddy, 50 cent, Jay Z, Ja Rule, Nas, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Lindsay Lohan, Jennifer Lopez, BIG, Venessa Williams, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Madonna,

Artist on the list that are bolded may not be from NYC but had major influences from the city.
WTF is Venessa Williams??? Vanessa Williams??? While Aaliyah was big in the early 2000s (RIP); she was probably bigger during the late 90s. Norah Jones was born in NYC, but raised in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
this guy... aaliyah died in 2001 and had been making music since about 94.. and LMAO @ listing BIG in 2000's, when he died in 97.. wtf. log off
It was an accident. Jeez such a troll.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
WTF is Venessa Williams??? Vanessa Williams??? While Aaliyah was big in the early 2000s (RIP); she was probably bigger during the late 90s. Norah Jones was born in NYC, but raised in Dallas.
Vanessa L. Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah I know I put Aaliyah by accident. I changed it. Also you can say that for Norah Jones.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
you were an accident
OK y'all both **** before the thread gets closed.

Lots of the Disney stars (Demi Lovato and that chick that plays on the wizard show) are from Dallas.

Houston has NASA, Destiny Child (Beyonce, Kelly, and Letoya), huge impact on Hip Hop and urban culture, ZZ Top, Astrodome, etc

Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Vanessa L. Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah I know I put Aaliyah by accident. I changed it. Also you can say that for Norah Jones.
Yeah, I know who Vanessa Williams is, but you just threw me off with the Venessa part. I was searching on Google for that lol

Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You guys dont know anything about music. No city in history has made a bigger influence on music than Detroit, Michigian A*K*A Mo-town .

Aretha Franklin (#1 Artist of all time according to Rolling Stones)

The Queen of Soul

Aretha Franklin
Queen of Soul singer

Anita Baker
Grammy winning R&B singer

Jackie Wilson
R&B singer

Diana Ross & The Supremes
Famous Motown female artists

Smokey Robinson
Motown singer and composer

Berry Gordy
Founder of Motown Records

The Temptations

Hank Ballard

Salvatore Phillip "Sonny" Bono

Alice Cooper

Eminem

Glenn Frey

Casey Kasem

Kid Rock

Anthony Kiedis

http://healmenow.files.wordpress.com...12/aretha4.jpg
Don't forget Mitch Ryder, Ted Nugent, Stevie Wonder and Bob Seeger!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Jane's Addiction and the Chili Peppers
Who came out of 1980s L.A., not 1990s L.A.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM

246 posts, read 759,021 times
To me, that doesnt quite match up with the SF bands mentioned earlier, but its close.

The big difference, though, is that SF had the music SCENE in the 60's--not LA. Everyone was going to Haight-Ashbury...Aside from all the influential bands and music, it was the cultural and philosophical epicenter of the 60's movement, and music played the central role in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Nothing against the SF rock of the '60s at all, but what city produced the Beach Boys, Byrds, Doors, Love, Buffalo Springfield, and many, many more?

It wasn't SF.
However, I'd accept SF and LA in the '60s being tied.

LA in the '70s also

I'll accept those. Beck was the only major act to come out of '90s L.A. There were great bands there but they didn't make an impact outside of L.A.

NYC hands down, nowhere else comes close, reflecting the decline of the music industry and the retrenchment back to NY and London.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Brilliant point overall.

I would put Detroit in the top 6 overall, not considering decades.

For me, the top 6 are:

NYC
LA
SF Bay Area
Detroit
Mississippi (you cant understated the importance of the Delta Blues)
Seattle (Grunge and Jimi Hendrix alone puts it there)

No need to explain the first 4!

Good list, except I'd turn that Mississippi to Chicago. MS Delta is where the blues originated, but Chicago is where they took it to mature.

If you were to add a #7, I'd add Nashville. No denying their influence.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM

246 posts, read 759,021 times
Again, can't see how anyone could leave San Francisco off of the 60's. It defined that era of popular music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
1960's = Detroit
1970's = NYC
1980's = LA
1990's = LA and Seattle
2000's = can't say

A big shout out to the British who put out better bands and music than anywhere in America though

Can anyone say Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Judas Priest etc???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City