Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,173 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I haven't seen a solid comparison of these two cities in the last few years. It seems to me that they compare quite closely, with virtually identical:

- (low) tax environments
- climates that are warm/hot year round with no real winters
- metropolitan area populations of ~2 million and growing quickly
- racial / ethnic demographic breakdowns

As far as I can tell, Austin has the edge when it comes to:

- education (% with college degrees, quality of higher education, school districts)
- violent crime
- wages
- cycling infrastructure (at least in central locations)
- employment rate / growth

Whereas Vegas has the edge with:

- cost of living, particularly rent / housing
- climate (much sunnier, much less humid) with the possible exception of extreme summer highs

I would love to hear thoughts about anything I have missed or if you think I'm incorrect about any of this, I'm trying to differentiate between the feel of these two cities.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:06 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
Austin for most categories except...

Cost of living Austin is no longer cheap and is the most expensive large city in Texas.
Diversity Vegas is quite the mini melting pot.
Climate (Neither have much of winter but Austin may get a bit colder more frequently and definitely wetter)

Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
I think you would have the the milder winter in Vegas but I prefer the ATX.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:00 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Austin is more my kind of place but Id still prefer to live in Las Vegas. LV *kills* Austin as far as shopping, dining and entertainment. LV offers way more international flights, LV is more diverse, and is really close to CA which is huge for me.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Austin is more my kind of place but Id still prefer to live in Las Vegas. LV *kills* Austin as far as shopping, dining and entertainment. LV offers way more international flights, LV is more diverse, and is really close to CA which is huge for me.

I can't agree with this, especially if your entertainment preference is good live music.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't agree with this, especially if your entertainment preference is good live music.
You dont have to agree, but one of these 2 is a major world destination for entertainment of all kinds, and it aint Austin.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:38 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
- education (% with college degrees, quality of higher education, school districts): Both have good options, but Austin wins
- violent crime: Too soon
- wages: Las Vegas
-entertainment/live music: Las Vegas
- cycling infrastructure (at least in central locations): Las Vegas
- employment rate / growth: Austin

I would choose Las Vegas. It is more diverse, and well-rounded. I also like the proximity to California without California prices.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,039,320 times
Austin area is more scenic. But I do like desert terrain during the sunset also.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You dont have to agree, but one of these 2 is a major world destination for entertainment of all kinds, and it aint Austin.

Eh, I know FAAAAR more people that go to Austin for entertainment than Las Vegas, where, I think I know none go, unless they have to for a conference.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Eh, I know FAAAAR more people that go to Austin for entertainment than Las Vegas
Haha I personally dont recall ever knowing of a single person that's ever gone to Austin specifically for entertainment, recreation, leisure or tourism. Ever.

Otoh, thousands of people from all over California pour into Vegas every weekend if not every day just to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City