Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which park do you prefer?
National Mall 19 32.20%
Central Park 40 67.80%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

Under the NM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
No, I am well aware of National Mall and think it's a great park. I am just saying that many other Americans have never heard of it. When this thread was started I was talking with two friends on aim, one from Long Island and the other from Miami. Their response when asked the question about the two parks is that they had never heard of National Mall.
How can any red blooded american have never heard of the national mall? i think you need to make some new friends

central park and the mall really serve different purposes, i don't think they can really be compared.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
Central Park has the Museum Mile

104th St. El Museo del Barrio
103rd St. Museum of the City of New York
94th St. International Center of Photography
92nd St. The Jewish Museum
91st St. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution
89th St. National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts
88th St. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
86th St. Neue Galerie New York
83rd St. Goethe-Institut New York/German Cultural Center
82nd St. The Metropolitan Museum of Art

American Museum of Natural History

Also other museums 1-2 blocks away from it.

Famous Features

Belvedere Castle • Bethesda Terrace • Blockhouse • Cleopatra's Needle • Conservatory Garden • Conservatory Water • Delacorte Theater • Diana Ross Playground • Great Lawn • Harlem Meer • Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir • King Jagiello Monument • The Lake • Lasker Rink • Marionette Theatre • Medical Unit • Metropolitan Museum of Art • The Ramble • Sculptures • Seneca Village • Strawberry Fields • Tavern on the Green • Wollman Rink • Zoo • Zoo York Wall

Events
• The Concert • The Gates • New York Shakespeare Festival • SummerStage

Famous Buildings and Companies
• General Motors Buildings(CBS news studios and FAO Schwarz's) • Plaza Hotel • Time Warner Center • Trump International Hotel and Plaza • 2 Columbus Circle •
Quote:
Central Park West is the address of several famous residences, including The Dakota (where John Lennon lived with Yoko Ono, who still resides there, and outside of which he was murdered in 1980), The San Remo (home to U2's Bono, Demi Moore, Diane Keaton, & Steve Martin), The El Dorado, The Beresford (home to Diana Ross & Jerry Seinfeld), The Langham, The Century, 15 Central Park West (home to Sting), 41 Central Park West (home to Madonna), The St. Urban, and The Majestic (which was home to some of the former heads of the Genovese crime family, including Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano and Frank Costello. In 1957, Vincent "The Chin" Gigante shot Frank Costello in the lobby of The Majestic in a failed assassination attempt).
• New York Academy of Medicine • Mount Sinai Hospital •

Quote:
While much of the park looks natural, it is in fact almost entirely landscaped. It contains several natural-looking lakes and ponds,[7] extensive walking tracks, bridle paths, two ice-skating rinks one of which is a swimming pool in July and August, the Central Park Zoo, the Central Park Conservatory Garden, a wildlife sanctuary, a large area of natural woods, a 106-acre (43 ha) billion gallon reservoir with an encircling running track, and an outdoor amphitheater called the Delacorte Theater which hosts the "Shakespeare in the Park" summer festivals. Indoor attractions include Belvedere Castle with its nature center, the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre, and the historic Carousel. In addition there are numerous major and minor grassy areas, some of which are used for informal or team sports, some are set aside as quiet areas, and there are a number of enclosed playgrounds for children.
The park has its own wildlife and also serves as an oasis for migrating birds, especially in the fall and the spring, making it a significant attraction for bird watchers; 200 species of birds are regularly seen.[8] The 6 miles (10 km) of drives within the park are used by joggers, bicyclists and inline skaters, especially on weekends, and in the evenings after 7:00 p.m., when automobile traffic is banned.
The real-estate value of Central Park was estimated, by property-appraisal firm Miller Samuel, to be $528,783,552,000 in December 2005.[
Things around the park.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/Central_Park_from_Rock.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
By name, maybe? Are you serious? Many Americans have never even heard of National Mall. Also, I have NEVER seen National Mall in any movies or talked about in the media. So, National Mall is not as popular as Central Park. Visually, Central Park blows away National Mall in that category too. I hate to break this to you, but the majority (7 out of 10) agree with me.
What? I actually explicitly said Central Park is going to be better known by name, but the National Mall is more recognizable in movies. The U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument are iconic in a way and to a degree that nothing within Central Park is. You should be able to figure this out.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 PM

110 posts, read 101,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What? I actually explicitly said Central Park is going to be better known by name, but the National Mall is more recognizable in movies. The U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument are iconic in a way and to a degree that nothing within Central Park is. You should be able to figure this out.

The National Mall is more recongnizable in movies. Was that your joke for the day? You should be able to look at the results of the poll and figure it out, but you still argue. You are in the minority on your opinion of the better park, not me.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yes there is. Have you ever heard of the MET, AMNH, famous bridges shown in many movies, the great lawn, which all of these were in many movies. Since there are more movies about NYC than DC, most of the time central park will be in it.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Do you guys honestly believe there is any single structure more recognizable statewide or worldwide within Central Park than the reflecting pool at the Lincoln Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial itself, the US Capitol, or the Washington Monument?

There's no doubt that Central Park is famous, but its fame is much more an abstraction than any singular visual trope. There's a reason why so many shots of Central Park in movies and television are actually elsewhere with only the context of the narrative or the dialogue letting you know it's Central Park--it's easy to do since the actual physical features of the park aren't that iconic.

I make no judgment about which park is actually better--however, when it comes to fame, Central Park as an idea/name is certainly more famous while the actual imagery of the National Mall is more famous than any imagery of Central Park.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
The Mall is nicer once you get past the Monument and keep going west. Other than that, its nice to go for a run once in awhile, but it's not a huge place for locals. If I'm going to hang out at a park I prefer Lincoln Park or Meridian Park a lot of times. Central Park is more for the locals whereas the National Mall is ALWAYS packed with tourists. Tourists are a big turn off for me. Especially if I'm wearing my DCFD shirt when I go for a run. Then they always come to me for questions. Not trying to sound like a jerk,(I gladly answer when they ask) but sometimes I prefer to just relax in peace with only locals around.

There are some popular things with the locals their though. As mentioned, the kickball leagues have gotten pretty big. I have also seen flag football, frisbee, yoga, etc. The open space allows for a lot of activities.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
^^^^^Dude, the National Mall has the Monument, The Capitol, and the Lincoln Memorial. These are three of the most recognizable structures in the world! Any movie, news program or tv show always uses the NM as representation to show viewers they are in DC.

BigCity guy, NYC has some great museums but we are talking about the Smithsonian here. These are museums that are on the NM. Not 2 and 3 blocks away. You don't want me to add the other 40 museums that are in walking distance to the NM. The Holocaust Museum is one block from the NM but not on this list. The front of the White House faces the NM!

1. Washington Monument
2. National Museum of American History
3. National Museum of Natural History
4. National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden
5. West Building of the National Gallery of Art
6. East Building of the National Gallery of Art

7. United States Capitol
8. Ulysses S. Grant Memorial
9. United States Botanic Garden
10. National Museum of the American Indian
11. National Air and Space Museum
12. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

13. Arts and Industries Building
14. Smithsonian Institution Building
15. Freer Gallery of Art
16. Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
17. National Museum of African Art

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Do you guys honestly believe there is any single structure more recognizable statewide or worldwide within Central Park than the reflecting pool at the Lincoln Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial itself, the US Capitol, or the Washington Monument?

There's no doubt that Central Park is famous, but its fame is much more an abstraction than any singular visual trope. There's a reason why so many shots of Central Park in movies and television are actually elsewhere with only the context of the narrative or the dialogue letting you know it's Central Park--it's easy to do since the actual physical features of the park aren't that iconic.

I make no judgment about which park is actually better--however, when it comes to fame, Central Park as an idea/name is certainly more famous while the actual imagery of the National Mall is more famous than any imagery of Central Park.
I never said it was more iconic. All I said is that there are iconic things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City